Finally! Miller's Crossing on DVD

Been waiting for this one for a loooonnnng time. My copy just arrived yesterday.

The extras are mostly crap but the film is just as gorgeous as I remember it.

Tom Reagan, Verna, Leo, The Dane, Bernie Birnbaum, Johnny Caspar, Mink, “sick twist”, hats, the Thompson Jitterbug.

“I’m talkin’ about friendship. I’m talkin’ about character. I’m talkin’ about–hell Leo, I ain’t embarrassed to use the word–ethics.”

I just saw it for the first time last night.

“Hey, Tom - what’s the rumpus?”

Barton Fink is out as well. High art, both of them.

Other than the Hudsucker Proxy, they Coens’ have never disappointed me ( even that was an interesting disappointment, though Jennifer Jason Leigh’s accent was like shivers of glass being shoved into my brain shudder ).

• Tamerlane

Miller’s Crossing is simply outstanding.

That’s all I wanted to say.

There are so many great scenes in the film. When I was watching it the other night, for some reason one that stood out was the entire sequence that begins with Tom Reagan striding into the Ladies Lounge to confront Verna, and ending with him saying, “When I raise hell, lady, you’ll know it.” Much of the dialogue in that sequence comes in sentences of no more than a few words each, yet every line is a gem.

BTW, I learned from the DVD extras that Albert Finney appears in that scene, as another character.

I got both of them in yesterday and watched Barton Fink last night. Even better than I remember.

Its too bad the Bros. Coen don’t seem to like talking about their work. I’d love to hear a good commentary on Barton Fink, but after hearing the commentary for Blood Simple and The Man Who Wasn’t There I know its too much to ask.

I was too mesmerized by the cinematography and dialogue to notice in which city the movie is set. Boston? And what was that etchnic slur they used several times – something like “yegg” or “yag”, meaning the Irish, I suppose. I had never heard it before.

Albert Finney kicked ass, and John Turturro was almost as good.

The Coen Bros. are incredible at telling American stories. Mr. Pug and I wondered last night at how well these movies play in Europe. Could, for instance, an English viewer understand all the uniquely American situations? Not to mention the dialogue.

pugluvr, there’s a great Miller’s Crossing fansite that includes a glossary. According to that, a “yegg” is a gangster.

“Intimidating helpless women is part of what I do.”
“Why don’t you go find one and intimidate her?”

I first saw this film in Paris, where I was living when it came out. Can’t verify how accurate the French subtitling was, but the film (as with nearly all the Coen Bros. efforts) was very well received there.

Fantastic movie. Every time I see the actor that played “The Dane” I make a comment. The most recent thing I saw him in was the strip club’s bodyguard from Go. He was also Holly Hunter’s boss from Copycat.

I’m sure we all know this, but I’ll mention it anyway, that the Coens had such terrible writer’s block trying to finish Miller’s Crossing that they wrote Barton Fink, a movie about a guy with writer’s block, then got back to finishing Miller’s Crossing.

One of my fave movies ever.

Leo: Hello, Tom. You know O’Gar and the mayor.
Tom: I ought to. I voted for him six times last May.
Mayor: And that ain’t the record, either.

Best movie ever.

My computer DVD seems to choke on the scene where the Dane busts into Verna’s apartment, but my “basic” DVD player plays it fine.

I was disappointed a little by the DVD, as the fansite suggested there would be deleted scenes. :frowning:

Isn’t that “O’Doul”?

Why so it is. Or “O’Doole,” actually according toimdb.

boy, cholo…bill h 'opens his mouth and the whole world turns smart…"

Also a favorite of mine. And my favorite of the Coen Bros movies that I have seen.

Verna: “That’s not why you came”
Tom: “Tell me why I came”
Verna (seductively): “Oldest reason there is…”
Tom: “There are friendlier places to drink”

Ya know what, yegg? I believe ya.