Finally The Dark Shadows Movie

So basically, you have to hire a gay director.

Is there such a thing as intentional straight camp?

My wife and I are watching the series from the first episode, and while we’re still in the first season (up to episode 45), I can’t say the trailer matches the flavor of the series. For what it’s worth, I watched the first run of the series, and remember how bad it was, but watching it now, I appreciate what it is.

First of all, sure, the acting, writing, and production values are pretty low. But to compare apples to apples, I don’t believe it’s any worse than any other daytime soap opera at the time. There was a lot of dialogue to rehearse and memorize on a daily basis. That in and of itself makes it somewhat bad, and later on, it got more deliberately campy, like with the hand of Count Petofi, but it was a soap opera, not meant to be on a companion bill with Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure (i.e., not a straight-out comedy).

I watched the trailer, and the tiny songstress line was amusing, and I’m going to marry Michele Pfeiffer when I grow up, but I’ll wait for the DVD or even when it’s shown on FX or some other channel.

ETA: Alessan, I’d say Adam West’s Batman qualifies, but that was nearly 50 years ago. More recently, I can’t say.

I’m sure it’s not REQUIRED to have a gay producer/director. We DO apparently have an edge on the niche, though…

I almost included Desperate Housewives as a straight-created camp production, but then remembered Marc Cherry isn’t straight.

I also think that it’s arguable whether or not DH is a farce.

I’ve always considered it a farce, with some melodrama tossed in to satisfy someone other than me.

Is that why the poster looks like a reject from some weird Addams Family/Munsters ripoff?

Yes, I think you’re on to something! I think that’s it! You got it!

I can’t wait, comedy or no.

Because some people can look back at the stupid, dated timekillers that they couldn’t wait to watch on TV all those years ago and laugh at the melodrama, the dated slang, the silly clothes and foolish hairdos. Those stupid, dated timekillers were hardly dramatic classical tragedies that stood the test of time. Why NOT make them even funnier, now?

Scew the source material! This looks like fun–I’m in.

I just saw the trailer. Bring back Ben Cross.

I just saw the trailer. Genius! I simply can not wait to see this movie. Making it a 70s spoof just seems brillaint to me.

PS - Why do people rag on Burton using some of the same actors over again. When other Directors use a stable of actors they really like they don’t always get put down for it.

I saw the trailer a few minutes ago and it seems like fun. I immediately thought the trailer reminded me of Beetlejuice, what with the modern family discovering Barnabas Collins. I’ve always liked Johnny Depp and I think I’ll go see this movie in the theater when it comes out.

When I first saw this trailer I started watching with the sound off, and for a few seconds I was thinking “Who is this actor they found who looks like Johnny Depp, only younger?” Of course it is Johnny Depp. Maybe it’s the heavy makeup, or maybe he actually is a vampire, but he doesn’t seem to have aged in the past 10-15 years.

Johnny Depp looks about 20 years old in the trailer I saw. I fully expect someone to find a horrible oil painting of him somewhere, because, damn, no one’s make up is THAT good.

And for some reason, the trailer makes me think of all the clips I’ve seen of the various “Scary Movie” movies.

During my moment of confusion I wondered if the star of this movie might be Michael Pitt, who’s nearly 20 years younger than Johnny Depp.

It’s funny you mentioned those jokes specifically, because those are the ones that made me want to bash in my own head with a claw hammer to make myself forget what I had just watched.

This movie honestly looks painful. Predictable jokes about how lame the seventies were (cause those have never ever been done before ever) combined with Johnny Depp in pale makeup and a funny costume…again. It looks like a damned Adam Sandler movie that’s had the lighting turned down and the sets and costumes gothed up. The trailer alone makes me think that Planet of the Apes will be relegated to being Tim Burton’s second worst movie.

Maybe third worst. Burton sucked a lot of the good out of Sweeney Todd.

Jeez, I hope it isn’t THAT bad.

I would say Xena: Warrior Princess and other shows of that ilk are deliberately campy.

You do see the inherent contradiction of these two statements, right?

Charles Busch, not Charles Pierce.