F'ing lying sacks of manure from ADT just rang my doorbell

Shitbags, “are you the homeowner?”

Me already suspicious, “What is this about?”

“We’re from ADT, they told you at the closing we’d be coming.”

Me instantly angry, “No, you are not welcome and this is unsolicited.”

“Are you the homeowner?”

Me, “yes”

“well at the closing they were suppose to tell you”

Me, “Wrong, I would have tossed that person out of the closing to mention a dishonest company like yours. Now get out of here or I’ll call the cops.”

F’ing scumbags. I don’t know if they’re really ADT or criminals pretending. The difference is minimal to me. But for a so called security company to do this is 100% unacceptable. I will call the cops if they show up again.

Really pissed me off, my pulse is racing right now. I hate this kind of scum, the live equivalence of spammers.

I feel your pain. We have a sign posted thru a window right by the doorbell that makes it clear we do not want any soliciting (excepting neighborhood kids). For all I know it works most of the time.

Yet, with this message so clearly visible and right in the line of sight as you reach for the doorbell, it’s surprising how may morons still go ahead and try to sell us something - usually it’s pest control (“Hello there! We are running a special on your street this month…”[slam]), or proselytizers (“Hello there! Have you heard the word of…[slam]”).

Just so you know, that sign might not be working the way you want it to

Somebody warned me about this when I bought my first house. Sure enough all the home service salesmen started showing up. Home sales are public records, but claiming a sales call was set up at the closing is really low.

Have mercy on the salesman’s soul; he’s just tryin’ to make a buck, but yeah, I’d probably weave a tapestry of vulgarities myself.

Our home and two others are on a private road. We have to maintain the road, pay for gravel, and there’s no snow plowing. On the plus side, we have a sign that reads, “PRIVATE ROAD NO TRESPASSING”.

A couple weeks ago after a snowfall, I came home from work at 1 pm and there was a small car stuck on our road on the incline leading to our garage. I sighed; this meant I’d have to unload our dogs and walk to the house. So, I loosed the hounds and walked across our yard to the front door. My gf was working in her office. She assured me she wasn’t expecting anyone.

I masked, went outside, and approached the car. The driver was getting out with a briefcase. I told him the road was private and he was trespassing. He argued, I told him there was a huge sign but he argued there was no such thing as a private road. He kept trying to explain the wonderful opportunity he wanted to discuss.

I took a pic of him and his car’s license plate, then walked away and called 911 (we do not have a full time police force, so 911 is who we call for any police services). I’ve called for trespassers before, and a policeman showed up a few minutes later.

The cop explained to him he was trespassing and would be cited. He then asked to see his permit (the town requires a permit for door-to-door sales). He didn’t have one, so he got a ticket for that. The cop asked for his license, registration, and insurance. The guy swore he had insurance but couldn’t find his proof. He got a ticket for that and was warned that he had to bring proof within 72 hours or his driver’s license would be suspended.

I opened a gate into a horse pasture and told the cop how to execute a 3 point turn so he could leave. I then relatched and locked the gate. I put my Jeep into 4 low and easily drove around the little car. Once my car was in the garage, I walked back out and explained that he’d have to back out, or call for a tow. He backed out.

A week or so later I read a voicemail from the town cop, letting me know that the salesman was uninsured and had his DL suspended.

Sorry, I don’t agree with that argument.
Random call centre callers, pyramid scheme sellers and even muggers are all trying to ‘make a buck’.

Time-wasters and criminals do not deserve any sympathy.

The real offense in the situation described by the OP isn’t the unsolicited sales visit, but the fact that they opened their pitch with a flat-out lie.

Exactly. That set me off immediately.

It is dumb and offensive.

With all the easy-to-install home security devices out there, I am surprised people are still signing contracts from these companies.

Maybe you should dig a little deeper. With any luck, his dog died, his wife left him, and then he hung himself.

ADT has always been a rip-off company, but to actually send a pair of liars to my door is a new low. At least with my last home they only called and mailed me.

That’d all be cool, just so he doesn’t trespass again. Seriously, anytime it snows more than an inch or two I drive out our road and back every hour or so to create tracks in the snow. Additionally, the no trespassing sign is huge and can’t be missed. Fuck him and his ilk.

I would feel sorry for the dog in BlankSlate’s scenario. That would be kind of sad.

Can a person be arrested for trespassing for simply being on private property? I thought they could only be arrested if they refuse to leave after being (verbally) told to leave. Am guessing it depends on state law.

You have a jeep, why not get a plow?

I know if they return after being told they’re not welcome they can be arrested.
But first time in NJ & NY the signs are not enough from what I’ve heard.

Yea, I’ve always been confused about that… if a property is posted, does that mean a person can be arrested for trespassing for simply being on the property? Again, I suspect it depends on state law. I have always thought, perhaps wrongly, that a person can only be arrested for trespassing if they refuse to leave after being (verbally) told to get off the property. And then what happens if they want to leave, but can’t leave because their car is stuck?

I don’t want a plow. Then I’d be stuck plowing home & work. Additionally, have you priced plows? My gf’s Silverado came with a plow. The first thing we did was list it for sale. The buyer spent more having the plow put on his truck than he paid us for the plow.

He was ticketed, not arrested. From my understanding, so long as signage is obvious, they can be cited for trespassing.

I’ve heard, (heard, not cite) the signs are worth almost nothing without some town or county ordinance to back them up. Again, that is NY & NJ. Everywhere else might be very different.

I pretty sure in Florida you can shoot them if you’re white and they’re not.

I just did a little checking. It sounds like it is up to the police officer and prosecutor in NJ. So from a warning to 6 months jail time (holy crap).
Also the actual statue: