Finish This Sentence: I'm so nerdy that . . .

In all seriousness, how you doin? :cool:

I’m so nerdy that… I decided to learn Japanese originally because I wanted to import videogames.

… I met my first GF on FFXI

… I used to be a weaboo

… I own a 8 port composite switch

I’m so nerdy that…
…my wife and I met on a Buffy board.

…our cats are named Pixel and Havoc.

…I expect everybody to get the previous.

…one of my proudest moments was getting publicly insulted by Harlan.

…I got jealous of my wife’s new computer and had to get a new one myself to compensate.

…I have a letter opener shaped like a miniature Anduril

…I can remember the names of minor characters from far more ST:TOS episodes than is healthy

…I have a firm opinion as to whether or not balrogs have wings*

…I have helped organize, and have actually been to, a DopeFest

…it was a costume party DopeFest

…I didn’t go to my high school prom

…I know the name of Dr. John H. Watson’s orderly

…I have a Yoyodyne mug on my desk at work

…I talked like a pirate, in court, on Sept. 19

…my username is a Tolkien reference

*They do, of course. Duh!

…I have hand compiled and DE-compiled machine code.

I’m so nerdy that I glanced at glee! :slight_smile:

… I have the Utah teapot tattooed on my right shoulder.

I forgot a few. I’m so nerdy that…

… I constructed little devices with a 9-volt battery, two LEDs, a TTL 555 timer and a few resistors to place in the fake spider webs at a Halloween party. They looked like little eyes that blinked every now and then.

… I’ve actually read the books Hacking World of Warcraft and World of Warcraft Programming just for recreation.

… I used to have a computer set up to triple-boot (Windows 95, OS/2 Warp, and FreeBSD).

… I used to write device drivers in assembly language, hand-assemble them, punch the machine code on an ASR-33 Teletype to make paper tapes (actually mylar tapes), and then boot the computer from them

Oh, my. Wow. There are some serious bonus points for that.

I just PM’d you. If you don’t get it, let me know.

No particular response to that. Just wanted to quote it. In fact…

Maybe I’ll put it in my sig.

I’m so nerdy that I DM a D&D game on the dope in Middle Earth and include minutia about Middle Earth and I am embarrassed when I get a minor point wrong.

I still own the original 3 small format book set for D&D and my first computer, a TI99/4A that has 16 kb memory and a Sears brand tape drive.

I program for a living and fun and by fun I mean a tool to calculate mortgage rates. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had a dog named Merlin.

I put solar panels up on my roof as a social investment.

Every PC in my home was built by me and I wired my own basement where I do wood working that included building a castle for my kids to play with that has a working pair of trebuchets all to the scale of D&D figures and I have pictures posted.

I have a large HO scale train setup with remote controlled switches and three levels.

I built my own wooden tracks for when my son was into Brio trains.

I love to sail, on wooden boats that I maintain, my favorite is a replica of a native NJ 1733 design Tuckerton Bay Garvey named for an obscure Revolutionary hero and privateer.

I have 2 copies of the third printing of the Return of the King, the actual Red leather bound Lord of the Rings and nearly everything Tolkien ever published.

I am a baseball geek that knows obscure trivia going back to the Hoboken. I would expect other Baseball geeks to understand what that means.

Did I mention I use to program in COBOL?

There is a Tolkien reference in my Location field.

I celebrate Hobbit Day every year and I am amazed more people do not.

I have been to a Star Trek convention.

I was part of a High School Chess Team that won the Nationals (US)

I was on a math team that won the county.

On a model UN team.

I was in Latin Club at one point.

I was part of a model rocket club.

I organized the D&D Club in High School when the original one folded and we would often be the guerilla D&D club, moving from location to location on the fly.

In the Navy I was ref’ing games while winning the ship wide Chess competition and qualifying for our highest divisional watch and computerizing our preventative maintenance system all at the same time.

I wonder what I am forgetting?

ETA: If Dopefests count I have organized 4… At my house.

I have attended others and will be going to one this weekend.

Jim

…my husband and I met on alt.music.blur

…I’m posting this whilst in a WoW raid (we just got Vaschj down to 10% then wiped)

…that I’d rather play Blood Bowl than watch a real football game.

…that I’d rather watch other people play Blood Bowl than watch a real football game.

…that I Googled someone I’m madly deeply in love with and got sidetracked into Wiki’ing her specialties instead of learning more about her.

…that I can calculate how many unsuccessfully saved wounds will result in nearly any Warhammer 40K unit-on-unit shooting situation in about 10 seconds.

…I became the university chess club president- cuz chicks dig power.

… I know what the KENBAK-1 is.
… … and I care about its place in history.
… I program in assembly languages for fun.
… … but almost never in one for hardware I actually own.
… I know how to create a new directory under ITS.
… … and I know why that knowledge was so hard to get.
… I prefer DEVO to most modern music.
… … and I prefer Squarepusher to DEVO.
… I boot TOPS-10 just so I can play ADVENT.
… … and I end up spending most of my time writing FORTRAN.

If you’d been paying attention to the raid instead of posting on the SDMB, Vaschj would be dead and you’d be picking up loot. :smiley:

I’m so nerdy that:

I play WoW

I game (mostly D&D and Shadowrun)

I was so dissatisfied with the character sheets provided with Shadowrun that I designed my own, customized for each class

I work at a Forensic Lab. Oh, that’s not nerdy? It’s hip & sexy? Nay, I say. For I do not work at a CSI-type lab; I work with Forensic Document Examiners.

I am the CFO of an up-and-coming comic book company

I am writing a webcomic

I have attended comic cons

I work at the Renaissance Festival and obsess over shop improvements all year long. In fact, if I won the lottery and never had to work a day in my life, I would still work at Ren Faire. And I would completely rebuild my shop

I’m working on my BS in Microbiology

I loooooove biology. Lab work gives me great pleasure.

I enjoy reading scientific journals

My husband and I have philosophical discussions about characters in Sci-Fi books & movies

I play accordion

I used to play accordion for a Morris Dance Troupe

Wow…I’m in awe here. My own feeble contributions:
…I have a talking Tribble.
…I was in my high school chess club
…I have a large collection of s/f books, primarily anthologies
…I have all the LOTR extended DVDs plus the figures that came with them
…I have the red edition of LOTR, the gold edition of The Hobbit, and the 70’s Ballantyne paperback edition of LOTR in slipcase
…I have several related books including a collection of critical essays on Tolkien
…I know who Harlan is in Silenus’ post
…I found Dangerous Visions and Again, Dangerous Visions secondhand for less than a dollar and was ridiculously excited for days before I even read them.
…I still have the almost shoebox-sized hard drive from my Dell 486 computer as well as 3 boxes of assorted PC parts
…I can spend many, many happy hours rearranging my books or working in Access with SQL

Married and lovin’ it! Haha, thanks Auto. :smiley:

In complement to yours I can add:

-taught myself to read kanji so I could translate manga and JPop (waaay out of practice now though)

Sweet! My nerd dreams now know no bounds!

…I brought up character alignment in an ethics seminar in law school, and expounded at some length about the difference between “Lawful Neutral” and “Chaotic Good.”
…I used “frack” as an example of substitute profanity in my 1st Amendment law class.

…I’ve played 2 different editions of D&D.
…I’ve studied four different foreign languages in depth.
…at one point, I had pi memorized to 1100 places, and still retain 2-300 of them.
…Math is one of my majors.
…my computer is always on my bed, unless I’ve gone to sleep.
…I eat sushi.
…next weekend, I’m driving from Blacksburg to Gettysburg just to go to a Dopefest.
…I’ve read bits of the Canterbury Tales without bothering to look at the modern translation. (Chaucerian is similar enough to Modern English that once you get into the flow, you really don’t miss much.)
…I’ve translated more than 100 lines of the Aeneid on my own.
…I go to a division IA (or something like that) school, and didn’t realize until I got here that sports were so big.
…I can name both sides of each ticket going back to 1956.

. . . I’ve been called “a walking mass of gray matter.”

I try to bleed in binary code. When the blood spurts it’s a 1 when it oozes it’s a 0.

I have to take everything apart to see how it works. Preferably this is done after it’s broken, so I have nothing to lose. I have to build it if I can just buy it, because you should always have attempted to do everything at least once. You should always know how every component works if you want to use something. You might need to cobble it encase of a disaster.