Fire Ants must Die!!! - Help me kill them

But of course the ants figured all this out and developed effective countermeasures. Fire Ants are one of the few (as far as I know the only) ant species that routinely maintains multiple queens. If one dies, the colony just switches to the backup and continues. We can’t win and we can’t surrender. Our future is grim…

Soap kills ants. Got some spray soap and cover your yard with it. Pour some down the mound. They will die.

Years back I read that a scientist had developed a reliable way to destroy a fire ant nest without toxic chemicals.

You’re right to think a gasoline fire would do the trick, but who needs a yard smelling like gasoline? You don’t…you don’t even need fire.

What you need is heat.

The scientist in the article had poured boiling water directly onto the fire ant mounds. If I recall, he used 1-3 gallons on each.

Total victory.

No nasty residues.

Give that a try if you’re so inclined.

Sailboat

I’ve heard about that method, but never gave it a try. Boiling three gallons of water on the stove for each mound and lugging it outside didn’t appeal to me. And it’s not unusual to find 4 - 5 new ant mounds in my lawn after a few days of rain.

A friend of mine is a park ranger who said that the state had spent quite a bit of money trying to find the magic answer for getting rid of fire ants. He said they never found it; most methods seem to just irritate the ants enough to make them move.

As long as its to my neighbor’s yard.

Boiling the little fuckers alive. Pol Pot would approve.

I still have a trunk full of AMDRO. The ground has been too wet to spread. I don’t want the pellets to disolve before they have a chance to bring them back into the mounds.

**Diazinon. ** But it’s hard to find, as it was phased out a couple years ago.
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/op/diazinon.htm

I am not suggesting the stuff for everyday usage, of course. But Fire ants in your backyard could be an emergency.

I was going to suggest the boiling water trick, but I was beaten to the punch.

Instead, I’ll share the horror story of my friend who nearly lost a foot to fire ants. Got one single bite that became infected, despite judicious application of triple antibiotic ointment (I know it was done well and often, because I was the one doing it for her). When we saw red streaks moving up towards her knee, we took her to the ER, where she had a near-fatal reaction to the antibiotic they gave her.

Luckily, she pulled out OK, but it’s made me far more wary of the little buggers. They’re out to kill us, we should only return the favor.

Why don’t you just freeze the ground solid for a few months out of the year? That’s how we do it up here in Minnesota, and I’ve never seen a fire ant up here.

I hear that works wonders for Kudzu, too.

News from the front: I spread AMDRO over the entire yard. I also applied six gallons of boiling water to the mound where I’m planning to put in the rosemary bush. In that spot, within two hours, they were all dead.

My father was down this weekend, and related how his cousin and his neighbor took care of some big nests in their yards. James and his neighbor both took a spade and scooped the nest in his yard, and dumped it on the nest in the other’s yard. I like that solution. Let the fuckers kill each other.

How’d the AMDRO do, compared to the boiling water? Or is there no “control” area to test the methods against each other for efficacy?

Sailboat

Checking in to watch and wait. I bought some pesticide this weekend (I’ll check the name tonight. It was the one next to Amdro) when I caught my 2 y/o stomping the mounds. I did a little digging and followed the line of ant and found the big underground nest less than 6 feet from my front door!
My pesticide says not to disturb the mound before applying. We’ll see. It didn’t say anything about not putting the little bodies on toothpicks as a warning to other ant families looking for relocation.

The reason for this, as I understand it, is that disturbing the nest puts the little bastards into “defend the nest” mode, followed immediately by “move the eggs” mode and “rebuild the nest” mode. All three of these take precedence over “stock up on chow” mode. I don’t know how true that is, but I’ve observed firsthand that they leave the bait untouched for a full day or so after you stomp on the nest.

As I mentioned above, the boiling water killed the mound in about two hours.

I hit one of the mounds in the area where the AMDRO was scattered yesterday evening, and they were moving a little sluggishly. Of course, it was getting cooler, so that may have had something to do with it. For pure emotional satisfaction - boiling water is the way to go.

Oooh… the Forbidden Zone in Planet of the Ants!

Please tell us in detail how you moved six gallons of boiling water across your yard. :slight_smile:

I have trouble moving one gallon of boiling water from my stove to my sink!

If only we could find a way to turn the fire ants and the kudzu against each other . .

In two trips. Of course, it helps that I have a couple of four gallon pots for making red sauce. The hardest part was making sure the dog was in his crate before the commencement of Operation Boil the Fuckers Alive.

Knowing my luck, the fire ants would discover that kudzu empowers them with Popeye-like super strength. Next thing I know, they’d be dismantling my house with their little ultra-sonic voices screaming for revenge.

This thread is almost as entertaining as the Evil Nazi Groundhog one. :slight_smile:

In Iowa, we’ve adopted Minnesota’s Frozen Ground method. It works quite well.

News from the Front: Then AMDRO seems to have done the job. I checked one of the undisturbed mounds yesterday as soon as I got home from work, while it was still a bit warm. There was not much activity. I can only conclude the queens are dead. Long live the queens… in some one else’s yard.

The bludgers have spread to Australia. We have certain zones around Brisbane where you can’t move pot plants etc. The Government is spending a fortune to eradicate them before they gain too much of a foot hold. I fear it may be too late.

I hate them with a passion. I have never seen one.