Firefly picked up by Sci Fi Channel

Well, damn. I hadn’t yet taken an interest in Firefly at the time. :stuck_out_tongue:

*scampers back into cave

Here’s something interesting: I just looked the DVD top sellers on Amazon.com. Firefly is still at #11! That’s just amazing for a show that’s been on DVD for what, over a year now? Not bad for a show that was killed a third of the way through its first season.

BTW, it’s also on sale right now for $29.99, so all you lurkers thinking, “What’s the big deal about Firefly” have a chance to get the box set dirt cheap.

Amazon top DVD sellers

Sounds pretty ambitious - and well worth a look-see.

That alone makes it tempting.

Thanks for the response.

That is dirt cheap. I’ve bought three box sets (one for myself, the others for friends and family I know would enjoy the show), and they ain’t cheap. Worth it, but not cheap. If I thought the extra $20 I paid for each set went into the hands of anyone else but the retailer, I’d think it was worth it. Ah well. Anything to keep the signal alive.

Hey now. Can’t stop the signal.

I agree with those saying give it a second chance (in the correct order). After watching some episodes when they were on, I was lukewarm to it, but re-watching on dvd, I absolutely love the show. TV with no Joss is just a crime, period.

And yes, it is some of the best-written sci-fi on film ever. This from someone who will watch ANYTHING that is even remotely sci-fi in the hopes of someone finally getting it right.

Meet my wife, auntie em. :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, she still gets to go with me to the pre-screening of Serenity next Thursday. Lucky girl.

NOOOOOOO! That’s bad - I won’t be able to get home from work in time to watch it! Oh, the humanity!!!..

No it’s okay. They make these things called VCRs to record tv when you’re not home. They’re the wave of the future. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here on the West Coast, we get the East Coast feed, but then they re-run them so we can watch them in their intended time-slots. They don’t do that where you are?

I guarantee that newcomers to Firefly won’t watch it on the Sci-Fi Channel past “Serenity” because they’re going to immediately rush out and buy the DVD set. Why would anyone wait a whole week to watch “The Train Job”?

I didn’t care for Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel, but I was hooked on Firefly less than an hour into “Serenity.” By the end of the episode, I knew two things: that I had to buy the DVD set and marry Kaylee. :smiley:

Hey, hands off, she’s taken!

…not by me, unfortunately. :frowning:

My VCR is broken!!! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

<pipe dream>That’s okay, I need time to become rich and famous anyway. By then, I’m sure I can find a way to sweep her off her feet.</pipe dream>

Am I the only Kaylee devotee whose heart sank when he saw her screwing that blonde meathead in the engine room in “Out of Gas”? :frowning:

Great opportunity for you to make the switch into a DVD recorder. I bought my first one last month and absolutely love it. You can get them for under $100.00 USD now. Really, there’s no use in buying another VCR. You’re better off investing that money into a large spindle of DVD-R discs and transferring your VHS material. Well, maybe buying a cheapie VCR to play stuff you have on VHS that’s copy-protected so you can’t dub it onto DVD.

I was shocked and disillusioned, too. Not pure, sunshiney Kaylee!!

That seemed out of character to me.

I thought it just showed that there’s more to Kaylee than meets the eye. She has layers. And she loves mechanical stuff and, presumably, mechanics.

Um… you obviously have no way of knowing this… but you’re talking to someone who bought a turntable in order to keep playing the vinyl record collection at home :smiley:

Maybe, I’m not so sure. I think it is wonderful that we see a woman who we percieve as sweet and naive have fun, no-strings-attached sex. It’s good for shaking up our gender-stereotypes.

Why? Kaylee has always had a very sexually open personality. In Heart of Gold she was delighted that they had male prostitutes, and after Jane went off with a whore Kaylee gave Simon a very significant look. In other episodes she’s made other sexually open comments (“Have good sex!”). It’s just that she looks so sweet and innocent…

The whole matter of sex in the Firefly society is clearly much more open than it is today. Companions are well respected, Zoe has no problem telling the captain to take them helm “because I need this man to tear my clothes off”, etc.