Firefly/Serenity Question.

Mal trying to give the money back to Crow, and Crow threatening him. The engine comes after that.

Oh, wait, you mean the jet engine, not the main engine. Of course.

If it helps, I was momentarily confused as well, Chronos.

If you can get HULU.COM, you can watch the first five episodes of Firefly free. Then, you can watch* Serenity*–also free.

Until September 25th, the whole series was available; alas, no more. Of course I own the DVD’s–they’re definitely worth the money. But I enjoyed watching an episode without having to handle the plastic–the keystrokes are so much quicker.

Yes, I want to have my cake & eat it, too. With ice cream on top!

Eps: 1-5 are on hulu.com. 8-12 are on theWB.com

However you watch it, you must make sure to watch the out-takes on the Serenity DVD. Some are great, and one extended spoof by Nathan Fillion is down-right paralyzing!

I agree, some characters are introduced pretty bluntly in the movie if you’ve never watched the series before. Inara and Book spring to mind - mostly Inara. The following dialogue :

• Did you see us get into an argument ?
  • No.
  • Trap.

makes little sense when you’re not aware of their history. Nor would a casual viewer figure out why a bunch of space pirates would know what seems to be a nun in a secluded Buddhist temple, or how she could possibly help them.

For that matter, the whole Simon/Kaylee thing is absolutely bland too, if you haven’t seen them dance around each other for 14 episodes…

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good movie despite these flaws, but it only becomes a great one if you’ve seen the show, IMO.

I saw the movie having seen none of the series. It was pretty obvious to me that Mal and Inara had some unresolved feelings for each other. The only thing that was unclear to me was that Book had been a major character in the show. He seemed to be more like Mr. Universe; a new addition for the movie.

That said, I wasn’t confused by any of it, and there was plenty of emotional impact when… well, when certain bad things happened. Not as much impact as when I went home, watched the series over the course of the weekend, then went back to the theater and watched it again, of course.

The movie can be seen before the series, but considering the ending, I really wouldn’t recommend it.

Not sure why there’s all that hate for the movie. I think it’s one of the best sci-fi movies out there, both by itself and as an ending to the Firefly series.

You can watch it by itself - a lot of clever writing went into making it make sense without having seen the series. But after you see it you’re gonna want to see Firefly anyway. So you might as well go watch Firefly first. It’s only half the size of a normal season so it’s cheap and doesn’t take too long to get through. And as others have pointed out, there’s a bit of an extra emotional punch to seeing the character arcs from the series resolved.

There is no worst episode in Firefly.

Seriously, it was too short to have one, and they’re all too good.

I hated those bad things.

I saw the movie first. I was my first taste of Joss. I didn’t think it was spectacular, but it was definitely above average.

Then I watched the TV series and the movie became about ten times better on second viewing.

Then of course I had to go and watch everything Joss has ever done.

You’re all wrong. The worst episode is…I forget the title, but the one where River almost gets burned as a witch. It does have a few excellently quotable lines, though, especially Jayne pretending to read Simon’s diary:

“Dear diary, today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Then we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever!”

Safe. Yeah, if I had to pick a worst episode, I’d waffle between that, Heart of Gold, and The Message. I played the episodes all the time on Hulu while I was at work, and Safe was the one I least picked. Even then, they all have their good parts. The worst episode of Firefly is better than the best episode of a lot of shows.

But - but - “Big damn heroes” and “Yeah, but she’s our witch.”

I totally agree, I have watched Fireflya couple of times and like it a lot, but the movie has become one of my personal favs which I watch regularly when I have extra time at hand and don’t know what I really want to do (together with pulp fiction and the big Lebowski).

It just too bad we didn’t get the story being told a t a slower pace over an episode of 7 or 8.

double post.

But can we all agree that “Out of Gas” is the best episode?

It’s definitely in the top three. I still find it very hard to rate Firefly episodes because they are all so good, unlike other series where there are just a few stand out episodes.