Firefly/Serenity Question.

Can the movie plot be followed easily by someone who has never seen the series?

Yes. But you won’t have nearly the emotional involvement in the characters.

I had never seen the series and enjoyed the movie. I may even go rent the series one day.

I saw the movie first and loved it. I had no idea they had a T.V. show until a week later, when a friend told me about it.

Will you understand it? Yes. The movie was designed to be standalone and (re)introduce us to the characters of the universe in a logical manner. The very first glimpse of the in the ship is one continuous two minute shot inside that tracks through the whole ship and shows us each of the people on board.

But like KneadToKnow said, the movie just won’t pack the same punch without the background to go with it.

Personally, I thought the movie was just sort of average. The actual two hour pilot episode to the series was vastly superior and if someone likes Serenity, they’re going to LOVE Firefly.

I bought the movie for a friend of mine, not realizing that I was buying off an Amazon “suggested gifts” list rather than his actual wish list. He was kinda puzzled. But, he watched it, and enjoyed it enough that he then bought the series. So, it has at least happened once.

Yes, but why would you. The movie is worse than the worst of the episodes. (“War Stories”)

:confused:

“War Stories” is a great episode!

Yes, the movie can be watched without any prior knowledge of the series.

however, I think that the movie would be more enjoyable if you watched at least a couple of episodes from the series first.

hulu.com has the entire series for free.

I think you mean, Heart of Gold. :slight_smile:

Because I know there is a following here at the SDMB and saw the movie for rent at the video store,almost rented it, but wanted to ask ya’lls opinion first.
Thanks for the input.

I watched the movie first, in the theatre, and it was good, though there was a lot I didn’t get. Who was this crazy girl? What was the deal with her? Why was the relationhsip between Inara and Mal so strained?

Then, much later, I watched the series and then the movie again. Ah! All became clear.

No, I think he means “The Train Job.”

Not any more. For some reason I’m not fully aware, licensing issues or something, Hulu now only has the first five episodes.

Yes, I’m irritated.

No, definitely “Heart of Gold.” “The Train Job” has the scene with the engine, so by definition, it cannot be the worst episode of the series.

I liked Train Job. I’d probably have to put my vote in for Heart of Gold as the worst, though I could be convinced to switch my vote to Jaynestown.

Any episode that has:

*Zoë: No one’s gonna force you to go, Jayne. As has been stated, this job is strickly speculative.
Jayne: Good. Don’t know these folks, don’t much care to.
Mal: They’re whores.
Jayne: I’m in. *

can’t be the worst anything.

Sez you!

Also…

Kayley: Ooooh, boy whores!

and then…

Kaylee: Everyone’s got somebody. Wash, tell me I’m pretty.
Wash: Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I’m pretty?
Wash: 'Cause you’re pretty.

Yup, “Heart of Gold” is a good episode.

The scene with the engine? I don’t think I remember that particular scene.

Personally, I’d say that the worst episode was “The Message”, though that still had some good bits before the A plot started up (the “alien”, “My food is problematic”, and the hat).