First 5 songs on your ipod

I have seen this in the Onion and a few other places, but I haven’t noticed such a thread. Apologies if I overlooked.

So, I recently broke down and bought an ipod. It is rather small, so I am mostly using it for random songs that I don’t want to buy on cd…I have run out of ideas and hopefully will get some good suggestions out of this thread.
The rules:

-Put your ipod/ipod-like device on shuffle and list the first 5 songs that pop up.

-NO SKIPPING EMBARRASSING SONGS!!! Really. That’s the fun part.

Oh, alright. I will go first.

1. If I Should Fall From Grace With God (The Pogues)–Ah, so far so good. There is nothing better than good, fast, traditional-ish Irish music. All songs should sound like this.

2.Psychotic Reaction (The Count Five)– So, years ago I worked at a record store. This allowed me to indulge any mood I would fall into. For a couple of months, I became obsessed with 60’s garage rock, and would buy anything that would at all fall in that genre. I got to the point where I could simply look at the cover of the cd and know whether to buy it or not. This was one of the only good songs I found during that period.

1. Brave Captain (fIREHOSEnot Firehouse)- I am a huge fan of the Minutemen, so I decided to randomly download a song by fIREHOSE since, they are the Minutemen with some random guy instead of D. Boon. Um, actually they sound nothing like the Minutemen (at least here) but I really really love this song. Can anybody recommend one of their albums?

2. Stepping Out (Joe Jackson)- Interesting thing. I had only heard this song on tv, and my tv at the time had really shitty sound. I went and got a cd with this song, and wondered what the hell that odd constant rhythm was that went all through it. I didn’t hear that on tv. I hated it at first, but got used to it.

3. Yellow Ledbetter- Live (Pearl Jam)- Dammit. I knew something shitty would come up. Okay, so I went through a Pearl Jam phase years ago…I bought a bunch of their live cds and there was a version of this song that was good. It sure as hell wasn’t this one. Ugh. That phase ended, but I will concede that PJ wrote a few really good songs. I need to delete this one, though.

Ah. Nothing too bad. I may need to have another go round later.

Anybody else wanna play?

I’ll play. I just opened my iTunes and went to Party Shuffle, cleared what was there and let it reset.

1. The Chieftains: Planxty Brown/The William Davis’s/Lady Wrixon - a celtic medley from the largest Irish band ever.

2. Loverboy: Working for the Weekend - Solid pop hit that pretty much everyone thought was cool in the early 80s. I’m getting old.

3. Alanis Morrisette: Mary Jane - Depresso rock from her breakout album.

4. Cracker: Satisfy You - Not the best song from this album but still a good one.

5. The Kinks: You Really Got Me - The father of fuzziness gets wild. But with an absolutely limp solo.

Right now,

1: Nite and Day Al B. Sure!

2: ** Irreplaceable** Beyonce

3: ** Criminal** Fiona Apple

4: Bad Habit The Offspring

5: Do Me, Baby Prince

Ha ha I totally forgot about some of these songs

1. Alien Ant Farm - Glow

2. Umphrey’s McGee - In the Kitchen

3. Primus - On the Tweek Again

4. Jackie Wilson - Higher and Higher

5. Extreme - Get the Funk Out

Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
Twilight Zone - Golden Earring
Blue on Black - Kenny Wayne Shepherd
I Don’t Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
Black Velvet - Alannah Myles

I’m not a huge fan (in fact, Brave Captain is really the only song of theirs that I’m very familiar with), but I have some friends who were really into fIREHOSE back in the day, and Ragin’, Full-On (the album with Brave Captain) was their favorite. Incidentally, the All Music Guide disagrees, saying that If’n and Fromohio are better albums. The public reviews on Emusic agree with Ragin’, Full-On over the others though.

And to answer the main thrust of the OP:

1. Mychal, Black 47: A song about 9/11. One of my least favorite songs on the album, although I really like the band.
  2. Spin Your Wheels, The Sixth Great Lake: An OK song, but again, not one of my favorites by them. They really channel The Band, however.
  3. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels), The Arcade Fire: The first song here that I really like.
  4. Non-Absorbing, Guided by Voices: Another great song, although not in my 20 favorite GbV tracks.
  5. Temptation Inside Your Heart, The Velvet Underground: I really don’t listen to them enough. I don’t remember this song!

I had to go to the 9th song before a guilty pleasure popped up - Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling. Apparently, my MP3 player was trying to save me from embarassment, because none of my ABBA tracks appeared in the first 30 I scanned.

This has been done before, but, what the hell, it’s always fun…

1. Ramones - Glad to See You Go Nothing much to say here…Ramones rock…well, rocked.
  2. Nobue Uemetsu - Hurry! Not sure which Final Fantasy this one’s from…I have the OSTs of every one from VII to X-2. It’s not one of the more memorable tunes.
  3. Oingo Boingo - Cinderella Undercover Not my favourite song by them (That would be No Spill Blood.), or even in my top 10, but even my bottom 10 Oingo Boingo are pretty damn good.
  4. Tommy Heavenly[sup]6[/sup] - Lollipop Candy BAD girl (short version) Tommy rocks a lot, and this is one of my favourite songs by her. Well, the long version is, actually, but the short version’s damn good, too.
  5. The Beatles - Maxwell’s Silver Hammer Love this song. That is all.

Not quite a representative look at my music, but close. My favourite song there is Lollipop Candy BAD girl, but I’m not sure it works as a recommendation, since it’s a Japanese import and all…

Iste Sanctus by Tomás Luis de Victoria, performed by the Saint Louis Chamber Chorus
So is es denn aus mit den ewigen Göttern from Act II of Die Walküre
Leb wohl, du kühnes, herrliches Kind! from Act III of Die Walküre
Dirt Bike from John Henry by They Might Be Giants
A New Machine from A Momentary Lapse of Reason by Pink Floyd.

Give those first three, I may be a bit of a geek.

Heh. I listened to this song the other day and noticed that the solo is fairly ridiculous. Just random notes being played…randomly. But Dave was, what, 16 at the time? What do you expect?

I like the odd combinations so far. These wouldn’t be very good playlists for a party. :slight_smile:
ETA: Really, Tengu? How did I miss it every time? Blarg.

**Special ** - Garbage

**Alternative Girlfriend ** - Barenaked Ladies

**I Can’t Make Me ** - Butterfly Boucher

**The Guitar Man ** - CAKE

**Birthday ** - Sugarcubes

Was already listening to i-tunes shuffle:

1. Rikki Don’t Lose Thst Number (Steely Dan)
  2. Embarassment (Madness)
  3. Govinda (Kula Shakur)
  4. Shout (TFF)
  5. Cars (Numan)

actually fairly boring compared with what it could have been - could have had:

1. Hella Good (No Doubt)
  2. Kings of the Wild Frontier (Adam and the Ants)
  3. The Tracks of my Tears (Smokey Robinson)
  4. Sportsnight theme (only UK blurks over 30 will remember this)
  5. Freak Like Me (The Sugababes)

How can you do this without deliberately choosing the first song to get it rolling? I am posting songs 2 - 6 in place of that.

Here Comes the Sun – the Beatles
You Don’t Have to Say You love Me – Dusty Springfield
Straight Ahead – Canned Heat
Oh, Lonesone Me – Neil Young
Hard Luck Woman – Kiss

How many tunes on your device? Mine - 2722.

Climbing Up The Walls (Sneaker Pimps Remix) - Radiohead
Cross My Mind - Jill Scott
Skydive Outro - Nuspirit Helsinki
Somersault (Danger Mouse remix) - Zero 7
Not Ready To Make Nice - Dixie Chicks

Snerk Uh, 288. I got a nano, so I am over half full. I generally only keep songs that I actually want to listen to…I can’t imagine having enough random songs to take up so much space. Maybe if I added more of my cds (still my main mode of music listening. I just got the ipod so that I wouldn’t have to buy a bunch of crappy cds).

Thanks, President Johnny Gentle (awesome name, by the way). Everyone I ask always recommends a different one of the three. I suppose that means they are all good? But, they are on eMusic? Awesome–going to take a look now!

I don’t have an iPod, so I can’t answer for them, but my player has a “Random Play All” option. It takes a couple seconds to queue, because I have over 5600 songs (and 33MB left)

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, they’re on eMusic, as are the Minutemen (although, yeah right, I’m going to spend a month,s worth of tracks for Double Nickels…) My regret is that the SST catalog is incomplete. No Hüsker Dü :frowning:

The Flaming Lips - Waitin’ for a Superman (Mokran Mix): I’m still unclear as to whether this is considered bonus material or not. As far as I know, I own the standard release version of The Soft Bulletin. Incidentally, I do enjoy this mix more than the other one on the album.

Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger: I love this song.

Yo La Tengo - Song for Mahlia: I never really listened to I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass that much, so I’m not too familiar with this one. I do like what I hear so far, though.

The Black Keys - Set You Free: This has sure turned out to be an indie-tacular sampling of songs. My iPod probably contains about a 50/50 mix of indie and classic rock.

The Jam - David Watts: The Jam really didn’t add anything to this cover, IMO. Give me the Kinks’ version, please.

5125 here.

Oooh, I like these things :slight_smile:

1. Pink Floyd – Cirrus Minor
  2. Sparks – Amateur Hour
  3. Weezer – No Other One
  4. Barenaked Ladies – Next Time
  5. Death Cab for Cutie – Expo '86

Doesn’t really capture the breadth of different genres on my iPod, but those are all good songs that I really like. :slight_smile:

I feel relatively certain we’re all pikers compared to some.

Songs from the Wood - Jethro Tull … I have no idea why this is on there.

Magdalene Laundries - Emmylou Harris … from that Joni Mitchell tribute album. It’s incredible.

It’s Your Thing - Jackson 5 … I can’t tell ya who to sock it to.

I’m Gone - Alison Krauss and Union Station

People Have the Power - Patti Smith