first day of fall, and other personal calendars

So, last night we had our first high school football player arrive in the ER with full padding and a broken bone, thus marking the transition from summer to fall on my personal calender. Anybody else mark the seasons in unique ways?

Fall arrives the day I abruptly realize to my dismay that all those lamb’s quarters out in the garden that I didn’t get around to pulling up all summer, that are now seven feet tall, are just finishing up producing their annual crop of bazillions of tiny little seeds.

Indians used to eat those seeds.

There’s never a hungry Indian around when you need one.

The first day of fall for me is the first day I don’t have to turn the A/C in the car on during my drive to work.

First day of school. Unfortunately, that now happens in mid-August. The city closes the swimming pools (yes, even on the weekends) and soon after that, cool weather moves in.

I really think, now that school starts so early, that my tomatoes have even less of a growing season. Education has a lot to answer for.

On the flip side–my kid’s back in school! My kid’s back in school!

School starts tomorrow, so summer’s over.

For me, the closing of the drive-in theater and the local frozen-custard emporium are sure signs that winter is coming. And that makes me sad.

Robin

May I mention 18 May? Especially 18 May, 1980? It was the day Mount Saint Helen’s blew up. I also graduated undergrad. Even more than my birthday, I count the passage of time on 18 May. I always make an effort to see how Saint Helen’s is doing and say a little prayer for the crazy old coot who refused to evacuate.

Column 8, a whimsical section in the Sydney Morning Herald has a few good ones where people write in to mark the calendar with “first sightings” of the season. Some of these include:

• Christmas beetles
  • Christmas decorations on sale in stores (any time now)
  • the first time a hack reporter somewhere describes the dry, fire-prone countryside as “a virtual tinderbox”.

These get recorded every year, without fail.

When the high school marching band takes the field…

We had snow two nights ago, so I guess that counts. Though we can see the odd snow any time.

You can feel fall in the air, and see it in the angle of the shadows. Winter is on its way.

Mid/low 40’s at night. The forecast says 72 for a high today. But that’s for a town that is about 800 feet lower than us.

Living at altitude makes for beautiful but short summers.