First real trailer for the Hunger Games

Here it is: The Hunger Games Official Trailer.

I’ve only seen it once so far so I haven’t been able to pick it apart, but as of now: I’m stoked for it. I don’t agree with all the choices they’ve made but it has made me excited for opening night.

I love it! I’m glad they showed a bit of the Capitol since otherwise it doesn’t look very futuristic.

I have never read the books. I had never heard of the books until people started talking about the movie, so I had no idea what the story was until I saw this trailer.

It felt like it was an action movie for teenage girls. That may be an unfair assessment, but that’s what it seemed to be to me.

I don’t like the boys. The actor playing Peeta is way too hot as a guy for his character, and I never pictured Gale as a “buff” guy but more like a skinnier slyer one.

I think Jenn Lawrence is gonna be AWESOME as Katniss.

The Hunger Games is Young Adult fiction, GuanoLad.

Thanks for linking to this, RandMcnally, I’m excited about some of the cast. Woody Harrelson will be fantastic as the drunk Haymitch, Donald Sutherland a great President Snow, and I can’t wait to see Lenny Kravitz as the brilliant stylist. I’m not familiar with any of the kids in the cast, but I’m hopeful their performances will be inspired by the story.

Wow, that actually looks really good.

Color me surprised. I was fully prepared for them to butcher it, but the trailer captures the spirit of the first book pretty well without giving anything away. Fingers crossed.

Ok…just re-watched it now that I am less distracted as I was when I watched it the first time.

I dunno about it anymore. I really don’t think the boys were acting it very well, not to mention too the first “I volunteer” was WAAAYYY too much for me. I’m not writing the movie off by any means, but the first trailer didn’t wow me as much as I thought it would.

The books are definitely for both genders and pretty much all ages above 12 or so. However the movie seems to be taking a different tack, choosing hot male actors and adding lots of dramatic music, so I think they’re aiming it a little more at teen girls than the books were. (Which makes me, a teenage girl, pretty happy)
I think it’s going to be a great movie, although I do hope they stay true to the books. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans out there. I think Josh Hutcherson as Peeta is a perfect pick, although again, I’m biased, as I’ve had a celebrity crush on him since I was six.
Still, it looks well made from what I can tell, and so far not many deviations from the book, although I didn’t imagine Katniss being quite so pretty. I pictured her as more the plain, scrawny type, as she’s described in the books.

Yes, but so is Harry Potter, Inkheart, Narnia, Bridge to Terabithia, and The Spiderwick Chronicles, but they managed to give an air of family entertainment. This doesn’t do that for me, it seems somehow more narrowly focussed. It’s just a small factor, though. I’ll probably watch the DVD.

It actually reminds me a bit of the Australian drama that came out a couple of years ago, Tomorrow, When The War Began.

Does Josh Hutcherson ever do films that aren’t fantasy?

I haven’t read the books, but always thought the premise seemed sort of like Battle Royale. The trailer certainly seems that way.

More like Stephen King’s The Long Walk crossed with The Running Man.

Still, I enjoyed all of the Hunger Games books. Looking forward to the movie.

It’s very similar, except there’s a clearer dystopian explanation for why they’ve been dropped into combat. Plus romance abounds!

This looks alright, and the wife’s a huge fan, so I’ll probably see this in theater.

For the record, I would watch the shit out of movie adaptation of The Long Walk - it and Rage are easily my favourite King (Bachman) stories.

My daughter and I just saw the trailer. I read all three books, and the Princess just started the first one. I’m concerned that it’s kid of violent for her, but she’s an advanced reader for her age (almost 10), and she really wants to see the movie, so I allowed her to read the books. I think they cast everyone pretty well (Effie Trinket looks just like I imagined her!) though I didn’t imagine Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, but I’m sure he’ll do an OK job.

I am so friggin excited! My students started the Hunger Games today on audio. I’m going to show the trailers tomorrow. There are two long ones - the woodsy scenes and the Reaping scenes.

I want it to be March!

I enjoyed the first one. The others were “meh”. Felt forced.

I was excited when I saw this, but I watched about 10 seconds of the trailer and turned it off to spare myself spoilers. I haven’t read the books and already know too much so I’ve just decided to keep the visual spoilers as much a secret from myself as possible. I know the gist of what it’s about because there have been so many press releases about every little casting choice, plus I read a Guide to HG characters. It sounds good and I’m looking forward to it. I’ll probably read the books after the first movie comes out.

From what (little) I know of the story, to me it’s reminiscent of the very good Series 7: The Contenders.

He was in The Kids Are All Right (arguably non-fantasy).