Fix my back

Two things: a massage therapist, preferably one who specializes in several different techniques who will be able to determine and use the appropriate technique(s) you need and a chiropractor. There are quacks everywhere out there but there are also some who really know what they are doing. I’ve been seeing the same chiro since about 1980 for a chronic spine issue that affected muscle development in the shoulder/neck areas in particular and don’t know what I’d do without him.

I love high heels… but I never wear them. Maybe once a month, if that. I live in my sneakers, boots when I’m around the horses. Flip flops are very rare, I usually only wear them around my house and put on sneakers whenever I leave. My knees are screwy, they don’t need any help from bad shoes.

I’ve ridden for over 20 years so I’m approaching this problem as a horse-person, not as a exercise guru. Your horse is young and obviously prone to spazzing and bucking and other flighty stuff. Perhaps you should turn him/her over to a trainer you respect and let the trainer get past through the spazzing and bucking. If you can’t afford a trainer, then at least warm up the horse on the lunge line and let him/her get the bucks out before you get on. Hopefully the horse is on a regular turnout program also. You said your horse pulls, which is not good for your back. This can also be baby stuff, but you need to train your horse not. to. pull. It’s unacceptable in any discipline, but especially frowned upon the hunter ring. And don’t even think about starting the 2 year old til you get your back sorted out.

If you are serious about doing Pilates or yoga (Pilates will get your back and abs in shape, yoga is great for flexibility), invest in a few private lessons. You’ll get a solid foundation and can building upon the basics with DVDs or group classes.

You’ve injured yourself. Your body needs time to heal.

Exercise can help prevent injury, and gentle exercise faciliate recovery from injury, but sometimes the best thing is take it easy for a week or two, if you can.

The 4 year old is just… silly. He gets turned out 16 hours a day, with two buddies he can play with. I often end up lunging him before I get on, but I’m trying to wean him off of it. I’m not opposed to having a pro take over when things get sticky, but I don’t feel that we need that right now. I’ve been riding for almost 17 years and he’s not the first baby I’ve worked with. My favorite part of horses is bringing along the young ones. Fun, but not the gentlest activity!

And we’re working on the pulling. He has made some big improvements in the past few months, but it’s still there to an extent. He’s well balanced at a walk, fairly balanced at a trot, pulls a bit normal cantering, and pulls alot when we jump (by jump I mean cross rails/cavaletti).

As for the two year old, unfortunately I’m completely swamped with my senior year of college and only get to work with him once or twice a week. He’s also a warmblood and a late spring baby, so I want to give him more time to grow up. I’m hoping early next year to put him through a few weeks of near daily training so he’s more consistent on the lunge line, on the ground. Then I’ll look at getting on him.

Wow, here I am hijacking my own thread… I start talking about horses and I go goofy.