Flight Attendant Interveiw Tips?

Okay, I loathe despise abhor my current job and instead of whining about it, I am going out in search of another means of gainful employment. Any flight attendants here who may have tips or hints to help me stand out in the interveiw process? I know there are at least 2 books available under this topic, but hey, I want a new job, not 2 new books. Also, any hints as to what I may look “forward” to if I am hired…
(This would be a “puddle jumper” type airline. I do fit the physical requirements they listed, want a career rather than a job, and think this has always sounded like a semi-fun/rewarding job. My interveiw is Tuesday May 8th 9:00am central time.)

I lived with a stewardess for a year wehen I was in college. I’m sure she would agree that if the interviewer asks ytou an annoying question, you should NOT try to stow them safely in the baggage compartment.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Oh, and you might wanna spell “interview” correctly on any applications they give you, should the need arise…
:: runs away, quick as a bunny rabbit ::

I have a friend who was a flight attendant for several years and is now a flight attendant supervisor (with USAirways). Airlines tend to be very conservative when it comes to dress and appearance. Make sure that what you wear to the interview is professional looking, don’t go overboard on make-up, and keep jewelry to a minimum.

In terms of the interview itself, I can’t provide specific help beyond normal interview techniques. Remember what the position you’re interviewing for requires: be friendly, helpful, and able to take charge when the situation requires it. Airlines are always looking for people with multiple language skills, so that can be a big plus. Talk about the fact that you are interested in a career rather than a job – they want long term employees.

My friend says that once you’ve worked for a while for the industry, it is very difficult to leave because they have one of the best benefits packages available. And none of your family will want you to leaved because of the travel benefits they get as well. Once you’ve gained some seniority, you can have a lot of flexibility for scheduling as well.

Good luck with your interview.

One other thing I just thought of: a big part of the public portion of this job is customer service. Be prepared to talk about any experience you’ve had in this area, particularly how you’ve dealt with difficult people/situations.

A friend of mine became a flight attendant for Delta a couple of years ago, after having no experience in the industry. At her initial interview, they told her they were looking for people fluent in at least two languages (as JeffB mentioned earlier). She wasn’t, but was willing to learn. They didn’t hire her then, but six months later they called her back and gave her a job.

Dunno if this would apply to puddlejumpers, but a willingness to relocate is vital in this industry. My friend was single, and willing to go basically wherever they needed her.

She had a pretty intensive training course after she was hired. I would imagine that emphasizing a willingness to learn new things and an air of intelligence would be a tremendous asset to you in an interview.

If they ask you what your best qualities are, make 'em laugh. Say things like:

I don’t belong to any islamic terrorist organizations.

or

I have no idea how to make fertilizer bombs.

:wink: j/k

Oh yeah, they really LOOOOVE those kind of jokes.

Tell them your favorite movie is Fearless.

Yeah that would work.

Wear short sleeves and make a point of occasionally flexing your forearms and biceps at stategic points during the interview. This will let them know, that should the need arise, you are strong enough to wind the rubber band.

First of all, congrats on getting the interview. You GO, girlfriend!

As a frequent traveller, the good flight attendants I’ve seen are nice (check), have a friendly voice (check), can be firm and nice at the same time (dunno), and have an even temperament (ditto, dunno). My neighbor is a Flight Attendent with American, I’ll check with her if I get the chance. Otherwise, knock 'em dead, Tequila.

Are you wondering if TM can be firm and nice at the same time? Oh, I’d say ABSOLUTELY!

If I were hiring flight attendants the qualities I’d be looking for would be language ability, a history of customer service, a calm attitude in emergencies, and a willingness to relocate. So you should emphasize whatever parts of your resume shows these qualities.

So tell them about how you speak French and Spanish. Tell them about how you worked at Burger King for four years and never received a customer complaint. Tell them about the time you witnessed a car accident and took control of the situation and rendered first aid to all the victims until the police arrived. And tell them that you are willing to work out of whatever airports they send you to.

I don’t have anything to add but want to say GOOD LUCK!!!

Buh-bye.

All I’ve ever seen her being was “nice”. And I didn’t mean THAT kind of “firm.”

Talked to the flight attendant last night, she says everything above plus the first impression is a BIG impression. Dress well, smile, shake hands, etc… First 30 seconds are key.

Thanks for the tips so far. I already have my outfit picked out (conservative, but nice). Not sure about the willing to relocate part, but don’t think I’ll actually need to move, at least immediately, as they requested people who live no more than an hour from the airport (I live a half hour away). To be honest, I don’t speak any other languages, but I do want to learn. The second language I’d most like to learn is American Sign, but I do understand quite a bit of Spanish. As far as being firm, I can do that when necessary. (I was a bartender for 9 years.) So far, I’ve been studying up on airport codes, the companies past, and trying to prepare as much as I can with little to go on except desire.
Here’s to hoping not being 19 and enthusiasm still count for something :slight_smile:

Actually, the not being 19 is probably a big plus. They don’t want young, inexperienced flight attendants; they want mature individuals who know how to deal with people.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the relocation thing. It’s actually possible to live in one city but have your base of operations in another. One question you’ll need to deal with is how the travel will impact your family life. (I believe you’re married and have kids, right?) I don’t know what size airline you’re looking at, but most flight attendant jobs are not go to the airport at 9:00, fly to Chicago and back, be home by 6:00. You may be looking at 3-4 day trips, either in the middle of the week or over the weekend. (The advantage is that you may not have to work every week.) The more flexible your work schedule, the better opportunities you’ll have.

“I’m Tequila MockingbirdFly Me to Omaha!”

So, Tequila, how’d the interview go?

Hmm, actually I got bumped to the 1pm interview. Works for me as I am not really a morning person. But, good or bad, I will post tonight to let you know how it went. :slight_smile: