[QUOTE=RedFury]
Real X-tian thread what with all the sentiments expressed in it.
You got your pound of flesh, why not give it a rest and lock this thing? Guess Jesus was the gloating kind.
Enjoy.
::::shrug:::
[/QUOTE]
No, Jesus would want me, I believe, to pray that this desperately unhappy individual find the peace and contentment that has evidently evaded him so far. I hope that meets with your approval.
[QUOTE=Malacandra]
No, Jesus would want me, I believe, to pray that this desperately unhappy individual find the peace and contentment that has evidently evaded him so far. I hope that meets with your approval.
[/QUOTE]
Why do you feel that chad is “desperately unhappy”? Because of a message board persona? Because he is an atheist?
Look, as an atheist I can respect your faith, but please don’t be so presumptuous to feel you need to pray for us “lost souls”.
[QUOTE=Starving Artist]
What a great title for this thread! Good on ya, Shodan!
[/QUOTE]
Even though he’s banned, there are still no fucking angels. Anyone over the age of five who would mention them in any serious context needs to grow up. Banning a person who gave you the shits by pointing this out hard long and loud isn’t going to make this any less true.
[QUOTE=twickster]
Perhaps because his attacks seemed so freaking angry. Angry people aren’t often happy people.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I am a very happy person, and often post “angry” shit here in the Pit. I don’t think an anonymous internet message board is a good indicator of how people approach real life. YMMV.
Although I will agree that some posters here take the board waay to seriously.
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
Why do you feel that chad is “desperately unhappy”? Because of a message board persona? Because he is an atheist?
Look, as an atheist I can respect your faith, but please don’t be so presumptuous to feel you need to pray for us “lost souls”.
That is irritating.
[/QUOTE]
You (generic) cannot have it both ways - rebuking Christians for behaving in a non-Christlike manner, and then for behaving in a Christlike manner. Perhaps you and RedFury had better get together and decide which it’s to be, and then I’ll do my best to accommodate you.
Would you think me unhappy if, not believing in Zeus, I found it necessary to follow Zeusians around all the time telling them how full of shit they were, and apparently displaying no interest in anything else? :dubious:
[QUOTE=GIGObuster]
…Concentrating on dissing the faith of posters ignores that many posters here are indeed against the harmful elements of their faiths. For in the end, after so many years of seeing Marx and other philosophers’ promises falling short, one has to be humble and face the fact that religion will be with us for a very long time, and therefore the purpose in life for people that do not have faith in organized religions is to make sure religion members do remain benevolent, as they themselves claim to be. We have to constantly demand them to become what they claim. …
[/QUOTE]
That is a very fine sentiment. I agree and I thank you.
[QUOTE=Malacandra]
You (generic) cannot have it both ways - rebuking Christians for behaving in a non-Christlike manner, and then for behaving in a Christlike manner. Perhaps you and RedFury had better get together and decide which it’s to be, and then I’ll do my best to accommodate you.
Would you think me unhappy if, not believing in Zeus, I found it necessary to follow Zeusians around all the time telling them how full of shit they were, and apparently displaying no interest in anything else? :dubious:
[/QUOTE]
Well, thats all fine and good, but why not save your prayer for fellow believers?
It seems like you would get more bang for the buck, so to speak.
[QUOTE=Talon Karrde]
So, is it going to be a policy now that we can’t quote someone in our sigs without their permission/against their wishes, or is this a special case?
[/QUOTE]
Just to expand briefly on what Giraffe said: this was a special case because the quote was part of a deliberate stalking of another poster. Generally speaking, quoting another member in your sig isn’t any big deal. Following another member around, attacking him constantly, and THEN quoting out of context in your sig… that’ s stalking, and jerkism. Continuing to do it after you’re warned very clearly, that’s just self-destruction.
[QUOTE=Princhester]
Even though he’s banned, there are still no fucking angels. Anyone over the age of five who would mention them in any serious context needs to grow up. Banning a person who gave you the shits by pointing this out hard long and loud isn’t going to make this any less true.
[/QUOTE]
Am I being whooshed, or are you really irritated that the quote Shodan used as thread title contains the word “angels”?
As I think I stated in the other thread, I find it slightly ironic that BC chose to quote this quote of mine in an effort to rile me up. This quote shows that I clearly thought that he was capable of quality exchanges - when he backed off of his button-pushing ways. It’s ironic that he chose to quote in an effort at button pushing though.
I’m an atheist and I don’t think BC’s style was particularly effective, which I repeatedly told him. When you are purposefully antagonistic and completely uncharitable towards your opponent, they aren’t going to listen to you. All you are doing is smearing the character of your side and blinding the very people you wish to inform.
Still, I admired badchad for not being afraid to take on the more popular and respected Christian posters.
[/quote]
He didn’t ‘take them on’ - he was just rude and stupid.
[QUOTE=The Flying Dutchman]
While I have evolved to become a “liberal” christian myself, I see a lot of stuff in there that is debatable and thoroughly cherish the able responses to badchad’s challenges that help strengthen my faith. Without badchad, I’m afraid the liberal christians will simply get a free ride.
[/QUOTE]
Nobody gets a free ride! :eek:
As an atheist, I have pointed out in polite discussion that God doesn’t answer prayers.
I have not gone into threads where people facing a crisis are asking for prayer, and said they are all being silly.
[QUOTE=Talon Karrde]
So, is it going to be a policy now that we can’t quote someone in our sigs without their permission/against their wishes, or is this a special case?
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=RedFury]
Real X-tian thread what with all the sentiments expressed in it.
You got your pound of flesh, why not give it a rest and lock this thing? Guess Jesus was the gloating kind.
Enjoy.
::::shrug:::
[/QUOTE]
Gee.
I suppose yet another atheist popping in to say Badchad was a jerk (and deserved to be banned because he gave us non-believers a bad name) won’t register with you then?