I suppose yet another atheist popping in to say Badchad was a jerk (and deserved to be banned because he gave us non-believers a bad name) won’t register with you then?
Shrug.
[/QUOTE]
Excuse me, chad didn’t give this non believer a bad name. I don’t let other posters speak for me just because they profess the same ideals.
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
Excuse me, chad didn’t give this non believer a bad name. I don’t let other posters speak for me just because they profess the same ideals.
[/QUOTE]
An admirable sentiment - do you apply it also to those with whom you don’t agree?
[QUOTE=Liberal]
I’m a little surprised — okay, okay, I’m thoroughly blindsided — by the reason for the ban. The signature item, which I’d never seen until today when I looked at his profile (I have signatures turned off), seems perfectly benign.
[/QUOTE]
I know you’ve got a long memory, so I’m guessing you remember the handy ban. It was for posting to medical threads. He had been told that if he ever posted to them, he’d be shown the front door. This looks like like something similar (at least to me).
Problem poster is given a special set of rules to obey or be tossed out by his ear. Poster breaks those rules. Poster say bye-bye.
[QUOTE=Malacandra]
Would you think me unhappy if, not believing in Zeus, I found it necessary to follow Zeusians around all the time telling them how full of shit they were, and apparently displaying no interest in anything else? :dubious:
[/QUOTE]
I read that as Seussians and wondered what the good doctor had to do with this discussion.
As to the subject of this thread, I had two issues with badchad: 1) Lack of respect for people (as the genesis of their beliefs) that resulted into personal attacks and 2) ‘stalking.’ I quickly realized that my opinion on the former was something I solely had to deal with, but the latter was a board issue and shouldn’t, I felt, be allowed.
Now that a formal decision has come to pass, I’m just grateful that (hopefully) others (if there are any) will be dissuaded from taking similar actions. Also, perhaps it will serve as guidance to others on the theme of not 'throwing the baby out with the bath water." Flies and honey and all that.
And yes, he did seem angry to me. Or ‘completely fucking pissed off’ might be more accurate.
~faithfool, agnostic
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
Well, obviously I didn’t fucking agree with the post I quoted. :dubious:
[/QUOTE]
Heh. What I meant was that, if it’s unreasonable for you to be tarred with the same brush as badchad, maybe it’s unreasonable to hold Christians in contempt for views espoused not by them, but by other people who self-identify as part of the group. (Not saying you have ever done this, to my knowledge).
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
That shit is precisely why people like badchad come to this board. Pray all you want, but don’t proselytize in the Pit to non-believers.
[/QUOTE]
And ditto likewise. Random crap is random crap from either side. Whether it’s a theist preaching there’s no such thing as atheists in foxholes or atheists preaching there’s no such thing as angels. You don’t want to be insulted based on your beliefs? Well, surprise! Neither do other people.
[QUOTE=Tapioca Dextrin]
Problem poster is given a special set of rules to obey or be tossed out by his ear. Poster breaks those rules. Poster say bye-bye.
[/QUOTE]
Sure, I get that. In fact, I got it when Giraffe and Drive-By-Guin explained it.
But I still can’t help but wonder why stalking itself is not officially jerkish because, clearly, it actually is.
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
How could they “self identify” as part of the group if they are not christians?
[/quote]
What I’m saying is that it’s not uncommon for Christians to be told their religion is a bad thing not because of anything they have done, but because of things other people have done, whilst (rightly or wrongly - it doesn’t matter) calling themselves Christians. But as I said, I don’t know if you’ve ever done this.
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
Well, I am a very happy person, and often post “angry” shit here in the Pit. I don’t think an anonymous internet message board is a good indicator of how people approach real life. YMMV.
[/QUOTE]
Hm. I’m not sure why someone would pretend to be angry if they weren’t angry – or how they’d feign anger if they wanted to. It seems to me that anyone who says (or writes) angry things is an angry person.
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
I mean, if you believe in the power of prayer, why waste it on the likes of us? I, for example will never become a Christian, so why waste the power?
Use it for something better than a lost cause.
[/QUOTE]
It’s never wasted, and Christ told us that there is more joy in Heaven over one sinner that repenteth than nine and ninety who never sinned. But as far as badchad goes, I didn’t say I’d be praying for him to rediscover the faith that he has lost and now vehemently decries - did I?
[QUOTE=twickster]
Hm. I’m not sure why someone would pretend to be angry if they weren’t angry – or how they’d feign anger if they wanted to. It seems to me that anyone who says (or writes) angry things is an angry person.
[/QUOTE]
When I post pissed off stuff in the Pit, I am angry, but when I leave the board I don’t carry it around all day. However, Lib pissed me off so bad one time I was angry for a whole hour.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
And ditto likewise. Random crap is random crap from either side. Whether it’s a theist preaching there’s no such thing as atheists in foxholes or atheists preaching there’s no such thing as angels. You don’t want to be insulted based on your beliefs? Well, surprise! Neither do other people.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Liberal]
But I still can’t help but wonder why stalking itself is not officially jerkish because, clearly, it actually is.
[/QUOTE]
You can have a few simple principles that need interpreting when applied, or you can have an endless list of reglations that need interpreting when applied. I’d rather be left to post as freely as possible so long as I do not behave as a jerk.