[QUOTE=Autolycus]
I dont need to know that you are hard right now! Sheesh.
[/QUOTE]
Haven’t you heard? Atheism is the new Viagra. ![]()
[QUOTE=Autolycus]
I dont need to know that you are hard right now! Sheesh.
[/QUOTE]
Haven’t you heard? Atheism is the new Viagra. ![]()
I believe trying to define “stalking” to the point of making a rule would be so ambiguous as to be worthless.
[QUOTE=Muffin]
You can have a few simple principles that need interpreting when applied, or you can have an endless list of reglations that need interpreting when applied. I’d rather be left to post as freely as possible so long as I do not behave as a jerk.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with that, which is why I made the point I made.
It seems to me that the simple principle of “don’t be a jerk” just naturally includes stalking behavior.
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
Excuse me, chad didn’t give this non believer a bad name. I don’t let other posters speak for me just because they profess the same ideals.
[/QUOTE]
Badchad didn’t speak for me (and neither do you, of course).
Nevertheless, his rantings here could be quoted as an example of what an atheist thinks.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
But I still can’t help but wonder why stalking itself is not officially jerkish because, clearly, it actually is.
[/QUOTE]
I completely agree, but I also believe that it’s not necessarily easy to prove. Many of us have certain “hot-topics” that we usually get involved in, and often times, end up with the same opponents in such debates. How do you differentiate between that and what badchad did, other than using a “I know it when I see it” methodology (I’ll admit that using that method, badchad was a stalker in my book). As an example, in AGW threads, I fully expect to see jshore give all sorts of details, facts, theories etc. on one side, and almost without fail, intention will counter with his own posts. I don’t believe either of them are stalking one another, even though the debate often evolves to the point where there is little activity other than between the two (and there is nothing wrong with that, either).
I find myself debating the same people regularly for the exact same reasons, and while I’ll often search someone’s history for context, conflicting stances, etc., I don’t actively search out new posts by any specific poster just to respond. How does one prove the difference?
[QUOTE=glee]
Badchad didn’t speak for me (and neither do you, of course).
Nevertheless, his rantings here could be quoted as an example of what an atheist thinks.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I would hope most people on this highly intelligent and enlightened forum would take that as an aberration, and treat it as such.
[QUOTE=Malacandra]
You (generic) cannot have it both ways - rebuking Christians for behaving in a non-Christlike manner, and then for behaving in a Christlike manner. Perhaps you and RedFury had better get together and decide which it’s to be, and then I’ll do my best to accommodate you.
Would you think me unhappy if, not believing in Zeus, I found it necessary to follow Zeusians around all the time telling them how full of shit they were, and apparently displaying no interest in anything else? :dubious:
[/QUOTE]
I believe what the gentlemen are saying is that ostentatiously saying that you are praying for someone who did not request your prayers and, indeed, would not welcome those prayers, is pretentious and arguably un-Christlike. See Matthew 6:6.
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
Why do you feel that chad is “desperately unhappy”? Because of a message board persona? Because he is an atheist?
Look, as an atheist I can respect your faith, but please don’t be so presumptuous to feel you need to pray for us “lost souls”.
That is irritating.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah but the constant snide condescension on the part of quite a few folks on your side is a delightful laugh riot. :rolleyes:
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
I mean, if you believe in the power of prayer, why waste it on the likes of us? I, for example will never become a Christian, so why waste the power?
Use it for something better than a lost cause.
[/QUOTE]
Is it okay if I just pray that you will find peace and love? The cause is not lost until the last soul has given up. Me, I’m still praying.
Tris
[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
Yeah but the constant snide condescension on the part of quite a few folks on your side is a delightful laugh riot. :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]
Don’t knock “snide condescension” my friend, it is a proven Pit Rhetorical Device. Learn it, live it, love it.
[QUOTE=lisacurl]
I believe what the gentlemen are saying is that ostentatiously saying that you are praying for someone who did not request your prayers and, indeed, would not welcome those prayers, is pretentious and arguably un-Christlike. See Matthew 6:6.
[/QUOTE]
Well,
would apply were I proclaiming my intention to pray for badchad out of a desire to come over as all holier-than-thou, but will you believe me if I say that I wasn’t?
But if Public Displays of Piety offend the right-thinking brights around here, I’ll gladly adopt a don’t-ask-don’t-tell policy. That’s always worked before. ![]()
[QUOTE=Triskadecamus]
Is it okay if I just pray that you will find peace and love? The cause is not lost until the last soul has given up. Me, I’m still praying.
Tris
[/QUOTE]
I will just point you to the fine post above from **lisacurl
**
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
I will just point you to the fine post above from **lisacurl
**
[/QUOTE]
So it is the simple fact that I am praying that you find objectionable? I am not sure how answering your post on prayers is “ostentatiously announcing” in any real sense.
Tris
Pray all you want, just don’t pray for me.
Damn, that sounds like a country song.
When you say stuff like “The cause is not lost until the last soul has given up” yes that irks me.
I am not a “soul” to be lost or given up. Have your faith, but leave me out of it please.
[QUOTE=Contrapuntal]
All the other mods could be paragons of virtuous statesmanship, and still be outweighed on the morality scale by that lying, weaselly, hypocritical, father rapin’, blowhard, unidexter scumbag tomndebb. Having said that, they managed to stumble blindly across a nugget of wisdom with this most recent action.
[/QUOTE]
Slight hijack: In tomndebb’s defense, his posts are invariably thoughtful and thought-provoking, well-researched and thoroughly reasoned. His moderating is a bit ham-fisted, and he shows a lack of diplomacy when dealing with novice posters who inadvertently step out of line, but he generally does a hard job pretty well.
[QUOTE=Ogre]
Fuck you people.
[/QUOTE]
My sentiment to him was sincere. I would like to think someone who enjoys playing with machine guns and cannons could use a little peace.
[QUOTE=Klaatu]
Pray all you want, just don’t pray for me.
[/QUOTE]
Why not? What do you think it will do?
Sunrazor, my lad, you’ve been whoooshed.