Florida in other nations - Retirement area cliches

So, I was reading a story this morning about a senior citizen retiring to Florida, and I began to wonder; as the ‘stereotypical’ retirement space in the United States is Florida, are there equivalents in other nations? Is there the ‘typical’ place to retire to in England? Japan? Tanzania? Anecdotes welcome!

Bournmouth on the South Coast of England is know as something of a retirement town.

In England, Bournemouth, on the South Coast. But more latterly Cornwall and the South-West.
[ Plus Bournemouth is just a medium-sized town, not a whole state; and the cliche was of a gentrified area to which the richer middle-class could move, such as retired colonels. In general the elderly working-classes stay wherever they lived, either in a hideous new-built bungalow or a retirement home. ]

I would have preferred Boulogne in the seedy nineteenth century, or Bad Homburg. Fewer British people, and of a better type.

If there’s a stereotypical place for Norwegians to retire, it’s southern Spain.

Australia’s Florida is Queensland.

Canada’s Florida is Florida.
(Here in the East anyway.)

And here in western Canada, it is Arizona.

I’m told that people in China dream of retiring to Sichuan province, where they can enjoy Sichuan’s laid back teahouse lifestyle and spend their days playing majong and eating melon seeds.

How do you retire from Canada to the US? Isn’t it hard enough to move to the US without a job at working age? How do you do it at retirement age?

How does it work for Norway/Spain, too? Different immigration laws?

The Canadians only spend the winter down south. I think, but am not sure, that one can spend up to 6 months in the US as a visitor and not be subject to filing US tax returns.

For Scottish people, I guess it would be Spain.

I think in practice this holds true for the English as well, although not to the extent of being the sort of cliché that the OP was looking for.

Within southern England at least, I’d suggest Eastbourne.

That’s my understanding. Canadian pensioners can (and often do) spend up to six months in the southern parts of the US, in order to avoid the Canadian winter. They don’t work in the US, as they collect a Canadian pension; and I’d imagine pension income can be wire-transferred to a US bank as they need it. They may own a property (renting it out when they’re not there), or lease one for the time they’re there. And they can buy health insurance in Canada that will cover them during their time in the US. It’s a win-win situation, as the snowbirds (as they are often called) get a break from the Canadian winter, take little from the local taxpayers, and inject plenty into the local American economy.

I’ve never heard of a specific part of Bulgaria that people want to retire to, but I have heard several people tell me that when they retire, they plan to return to their villages. Everyone in Bulgaria has an ancestral village. They may live there, but there’s also a good chance that they’ve left for work elsewhere. It’s so ingrained in the society that when I would go visit my host family from my permanent site, I would refer to it as “visiting my village” and no one blinked an eye or asked me how I, as an American, could possibly have my own village. Instead, they’d make some polite inquiries about where my village was and how many people lived there and was it very pretty.

You’re both right, but Victoria, BC is also fairly well-known as a place to retire to in Canada. I’ve visited it - it really is lovely, and I can see the allure. And all the Victorians make sure the rest of us know how incredibly temperate the weather is there. :slight_smile:

Bascially anybody who’s a citizen of one EU country can move to another EU country to live & work without needing a visa or indeed any paperwork at all. Yes, I know Norway isn’t part of the European Union, but it is a member of the European Economic Area which I think confers the same mobility benefits. Regarding Australia I’ve also heard that Tasmania is a popular retirement destination for pensioners who prefer a cooler, Englandlike, climate. Is that true?

Dude, there was frost on the ground this morning. Frost. In mid-February! At this rate, the daffodils won’t bloom for another two weeks.

And yes, there are a lot of retired people here, all from the Prairies or Ottawa or somewhere like that.

It’s also a stereotypical place for retired Germans, Swedes, Britons, Danes… we’ve even had German and I-think-British mayors, in tiny coastal towns where store signs are in a mishmash of Spanish, English and German.

On the other hand, Spain doesn’t have a “retirement area”: people may stay in their own house, move in with their children or go back to their ancestral village (thanks, Kyla, I couldn’t think of a short way to describe it) - but the notion of buying a house in a place where you don’t already have roots, specifically in order to move there, is one of the things that makes Spaniards say “those Americans! They don’t have any roots at all!” It’s just not a concept people here would ever come up with spontaneously, we know about it from movies and from having all those northerners move here.

Australia: Queensland, particularly the Sunshine Coast.
New Zealand: Tauranga and Taupo (both towns).

Japan doesn’t have anything like this. A few brave souls set up camp in the Gold Coast or South East Asia, but for the most part they remain in place.