Florida teen dies of coronavirus after her mother took her to a corona virus party to intentionally infect her

This woman basically followed Trump’s guidelines:

• The virus is not worrisome; it will magically go away soon.
  • The dangers of the virus have been overblown by the media and evil democrats
  • 99% of people will be just fine, even if they get the virus
  • There are treatments that will cure the virus, including hydroxycholoroquine, bleach and UV light.
  • Masks are not required, and are an affront to our freedom.
  • Large gatherings of people indoors without masks is perfectly acceptable.

The woman was simply following the advice and directives of the President of the United States.

And of course the family started a GoFundMe…

Even if the intent wasn’t to deliberately infect the girl, the news report says the girl was immuno-compromised. So do I feel sorry for the mother? Hell, no.

It’s already outrageous and sickening enough without having to make up a story about how she did it on purpose to expose her daughter.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity” - Robert J. Hanlon

I’m quite fine with the fact that she was a stupid person, who followed the advice of an even stupider person in a position of great authority.

emphasis added

While I often don’t agree with internet lynch mobs, this is one woman working in a field she is obviously unqualified to work in, regardless of whatever certifications she may have received (assuming that she is in the nursing field). Having a large number of nurses in my own family, I know that becoming a nurse (or teacher) does not automatically make one smart or correct, even in one’s chosen field. Whatever credentials she has should be reviewed and pulled, and if she isn’t in jail, she should never work at any job with more responsibility than mopping floors at night. Maybe she’ll read some QAnon nonsense about how mixing bleach and ammonia isn’t really dangerous, it’s just a liberal plot to keep your floors from getting properly cleaned.

The poor kid in the story really drew a losing hand for this life.

Tell us how you really feel. Don’t edit yourself. Quit beating around the bush. I’m not quite able to pin down what you are getting at.

His Tulsa rally exactly fit that description and children were there.

hydrochloroquinine is pretty darn close to home treatment and Clorox certainly is.

So yes he has suggested all that.

HCQ is a prescription drug*, so it doesn’t qualify as a home remedy.

*evidence to date strongly indicates HCQ lacks significant efficacy against Covid-19, despite Trump’s hype, including a newly released study which is far less convincing than the Pres. and his cronies would have you believe.

Irrelevant. What matters is whether it was prescribed for the person taking it.

If I’m chugging paracetamol because I’ve heard it’s going to cure my cancer, it’s a home remedy.

Paracetamol (acetaminophen/Tylenol, for non-Brits) is sold over the counter, thus qualifying as a “home remedy”. :slight_smile:

The sentence that triggered this tangent was BippityBoppityBoo mentioning that Trump was advocating that people treat or prevent covid with HCQ.
In this context, it doesn’t matter whether we’re talking about prescription drugs or over the counter. He’s urging people who have not been prescribed this drug for this disease to try it, against the advice of doctors.

The wrongness of this has nothing to do with how you choose to define home remedy. If HCQ’s classification was changed tomorrow and it was sold over the counter, it would still be a profoundly stupid and dangerous thing for a political leader to tell people to take it for covid.
And yeah, he’s partially culpable for some of the incidents where people have got sick or even died from this incorrect use of this drug.

This is a bizarre way to define “home remedy.” Tylenol as a treatment for minor pain and fever is sanctioned by medical science. As a treatment for cancer, it is not. If you take pop a couple Tylenol for a headache, that is not a home remedy. If you take it to cure your cancer, it is. Whether it is sold over the counter is completely irrelevant. The relevant question is “Did a medical professional prescribe this?” or in the case of something so minor like a headache that the professional’s opinion wasn’t actually sought out, “Would a medical professional prescribe this?”

I actually saw a meme yesterday where the person was cheering that now that the US has left WHO, we can stop putting poisonous fluorine in our water (which was apparently mandated by WHO), and we can start putting hydroxychloroquine in the water to cure all manner of diseases.

Another one.

30-year-old dies after attending ‘COVID party’ thinking virus was a ‘hoax’

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not.’”

That guy was one of @Idle_Thoughts’ friends. He’s pretty upset both about his friend dying and how a lot of people are turning it into a meme.

So he’s the Facebook friend Idle mentioned. While I won’t be making a meme of his death, it is a cautionary tale: a tale of hubris combined with unrepentant ignorance.

Samantha Tillman, 29, who tested positive for the novel coronavirus, might have gotten it from her dad, Dale Tillman, left. Her son, Bryher, 3, hasn’t shown any symptoms.

When the first coronavirus cases were detected in the United States, Samantha Tillman didn’t take it too seriously.

In late May, after Gov. Greg Abbott rolled back lockdown rules and allowed bars in Texas to partly reopen, Tillman, 29, went out to lift a few cold ones, just because it had been so long. She patronized a few restaurants, went to the grocery store, the gas station. She had a birthday party for her son and took a family trip to Port Aransas.

Her 67-year-old father didn’t hesitate to head downtown and stand with others defending the Alamo during a crowded Black Lives Matter protest in June. Then they both started feeling sick. Tests confirmed it: COVID-19.

“I thought this is just a big joke,” Tillman said. “Until a friend of mine who lives down the street lost his father to the virus.”

Tillman, a hairstylist who lives in St. Hedwig, is one of a growing number of young people who have contracted COVID-19 since Texas reopened, fueling a surge of infections that is overwhelming hospitals, testing centers and public health departments in San Antonio and statewide.

The increase in COVID-19 cases among young adults has local officials worried. [San Antonio] Metro Health is developing a targeted approach to raise public awareness and cut the spread of COVID-19.

Among the initiatives the agency hopes to unveil soon: A public health campaign — partly directed at young adults — and a handful of ads or stories on Snapchat and Tik Tok, social media platforms popular with teenagers and young adults. Another is partnering with social media influencers who can share COVID messaging with their hundreds or thousands of followers.

> “Many young people don’t consume media the same way their parents and grandparents did,” said Michelle Vigil, a spokeswoman for Metro Health. “They don’t watch TV. They don’t listen to the radio. They don’t like Facebook. We have to try a variety of different techniques to get the message out.”

That message is more urgent than ever. Young adults, unaware they’re infected, not only are spreading the virus to one another but also to their parents, grandparents and other older relatives, who are more vulnerable and likely to die.

And while young people, by virtue of their age and health status, tend to not get as sick from the virus, they still can suffer fatal complications.

As of Tuesday, 225 people in Bexar County [San Antonio] under age 40 were being treated in hospitals, one-quarter of the total hospitalizations. Of those, 55 were in intensive care units and 18 were on ventilators to help them breathe.

My bold.

This is important. Young(er) people don’t get their news from the same sources as their parents.

Substitute “mass gatherings” with “school” and yes he has (or at least Pence and DeVos have). But it’s okay, because hey, your children probably won’t die. And if they do, it’s the parents’ fault.

I think this qualifies as repentant ignorance.

I cannot mock or shame the dead nor feeling any schadenfreude for their passing, even when self-inflicted. Mostly it just makes me angry at those who spread - and continue to spread - the lies that led to them believing that they had nothing to worry about.

This statement shows one of the bigger problems that is going to be encountered in the fight against the virus. While I understand that humans are social animals and I would like to go to bars and restaurants myself, I also understand that 2 months is nothing when it comes to fighting a pandemic. The 1918 flu, probably the best comparison to now, had 3 waves of infection over a year and a half. A desire for near instant gratification is going to kill a lot of people.

Of course stupid responses by various governments only serves to exacerbate the problem.