fondue question

Hello all, I am looking for a good suggestion as to what to put under my fondue pot so I can set it on my table and the table will not be damaged. Any suggestions?

Are you worried about the heat or dripping oil?

Maybe a large decorative tile… or a duck.

If you go to ikea they have particle board pot holders of various sizes designed for that and any of your other hot pot on costly wood needs.

A small wooden cutting board works for me.

-Tcat

No, no, no! It’s water that the duck can protect the table from. Oil will just soak right in. Oily ducks are the worst.

Okay I have to ask, what the hell is fondue?? Ive heard the word but never bothred asking what it is…

Fondue is the generic term for anything that is melted and used as a dip. It comes from Sweden where they make these nifty little crockery pots that are typically heated by sterno, candles, or some other source of open flame. A lot of fondues are cheeses (with some other spices and such) that you dip bread in or something like that but you can also make chocolate fondues and other things. If it melts to a liquid, it can be made into fondue.

It’s a communal cooking pot usually placed in the middle of the table. You fill it with your cooking liquid, oil or water, and everyone gathers around with plates of uncooked meat, veggies, fruit, whatever. You’re provided with long, thin forks that look like skewers and you stab your food item and place it in the pot to cook with the long handle pointed back toward you. Kinda makes for a relatively intimate meal.

At least that’s what it was back in 1975.

Is it an electric fondue pot or one of those with a canister of fuel that you light? Not that it makes much of a difference for protecting the table, just wondering.

Dorkus is obviously much hipper.

Mudling, you are truly missing one of the great joys of life if you like cheese. Fondue (at least the way I make it) is a little pot of melted cheese over a flame (to keep the cheese hot). There are special pots with little flame thingies that you can buy.

I start with my fondue pot on the stove, and heat up a cup of dry white wine (chablis works best).  I add, little by little, a few cups of grated gruyere and emmanthaler cheese that has been mixed with a little flour to keep it from getting stringy.  When it's all nice and melty, put it over the flame and start dippin'!  In addition to a good stiff bread, I usually have veggies, shrimp, ham, etc. to dip.  

The best part is when you're done- the flame being on the bottom of the pot leaves this little disc of brown cheese inside.  Mmmmmm.

Now I'm all hungry.  I know what I'm cookin' for Valentine's day!

If you’re just concerned about the mess, this would be a good use for that plastic and duct tape… otherwise, a large plate should take care of it.

Katie, I just emailed that recipe home. Now I know how to make Valentines special this evening. Thanks!

NOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!..

My grandmother used to make the following fondue - a can of Cambell’s tomato soup, a can of Cambell’s cheddar cheese soup/sauce. Contrary to her claim, it did NOT taste just like pizza.

No no! It is Swiss, isn’t it? From the Alps?
Katie, when you are almost done with the cheese fondue, break an egg in there and mix it up. Scoop up with a piece of bread… It is so good…
DMC, your fondue should staying hot, so try to find a piece where you can set a flame in the middle. You can find some cheap stuff like that in various “home” store, TJMax, even Kmart and others.

Katie1341 I’ve always used half a can of beer, a block of cheddar, a block of swiss, and some parmesian. Have to try it with wine some time. Fondue is my families New Years Eve dish.

Beer?!?! That’s a first for me!
I always used white wine as Katie1341 described, with a couple of differente cheeses, although some hard to find in the States.

Why a duck?
Somebody had to do it!

Try putting a little minced garlic in the wine (or liquid of your choice) when you heat it.