Food Cravings-or- The World's Greatest Sandwich

Corned beef…GOOD corned beef, meaning high quality, cooked slow and long so that it melts apart, is the food of the gods, most particularly when served piled very high on a good Jewish rye spread with horseradish on one side, dark mustard on the other.

And for the vegetarian moment?

You have to start with this killer bread from La Brea Bakery in LA, (which makes the finest bread on earth, ask anyone who has tried it.) The variety for this sandwish is an olive loaf, dark and dense sourdough, with a chewy crust and studded with small and large hunks of excellent Kalmata olives.

Take two large slices of this bread (or four, you’ll want two sandwiches after you have tried this) Spread one side thickly with fresh avocado, lightly salted. Spread the other with a thin layer of Brie. The filling is fire roasted red peppers, sliced bufalo (fresh, unaged) mozzarella cheese, and a generous heap of onion sprouts. For traction, since all the ingredients are pretty slippery. (Onion sprouts look just like alfalfa, but they have the marvelous bite and aroma of onion, not that pansy rabbit food feel).

It is, without a doubt, the most exquisite meatless sandwish I’ve ever had in my life. The real bummer is that it is highly dependent on the La Brea Bakery bread.

La Brea bakery has such stunning breads and sweets that when I have on occasion contemplated leaving L.A. I have been pulled up short by the idea of never having access to them. (By other things as well, of course, but believe me, it weighs in.)

Any other Angelenos around here know what I’m talking about?

I have to say that when I have ventured outside California for visits with friends I have been appalled at the poor quality and limited selection of the foods. (Key West, Atlanta, Knoxville) Some local specialties, of course, but for a real foodie, I think it’s imperative to live in L.A. or New York. Maybe Washington, Chicago… but get outside the biggest of cities and yuck.

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Thin-sliced hot roast beef, cheddar cheese sauce, and red ranch dressing, a la Arby’s. They generally put it on an onion roll, though, and I HATE onions. I just tell ‘em to put it on a regular ol’ sesame seed bun. More often than not, I feel the need to tell them I’m allergic to onions, so they damn well MAKE SURE to put it on different bread.

I love sandwiches. I don’t care what kind of bread, what kind of meat, what kind of cheese. Any combination is yummy to me, as long as the condiments and veggies are put to use. Vinegar, oil, salt and pepper, mayo, dijon mustard, tomatoes, cucumbers, sprouts, pickles… yum.

Unlike the rest of you, I won’t be ending with a statement like “Boy I sure could go for a sandwich now” cuz I happened to be lucky enough to find this thread AFTER I had supper. Corned beef and provolone with roma tomatoes, pickles, dijon mustard and a tiny slosh of balsamic vinaigrette…and a side salad with red leaf lettuce, more roma tomatoes, grated parmesan and more vinaigrette.
YUM.

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

I’m looking over all these meats and I’m suddenly wanting an oyster po’boy. Ah, oysters! Saute some onions and add smoked oysters, all you really want to do is heat them up. Use the onion/oyster blend as your omelet filling. Eat it with a spicy Bloody Mary (virgin or dirty). Best breakfast in the universe.

Well, I don’t know exactly how far they have branched out, but haven’t any of you ever been to a Schlotzsky’s? They make the best sandwiches in the world (I think). Even when I put the same things on the ones I try to make, they never taste the same as when I get them there. I don’t know how far they reach though…anyone? I know they originated in Austin, TX. Any other Texans here?

tipi :slight_smile:

Drain Bead wrote:

“so my favorite way to add both moisture and texture to just about any sandwich is cole slaw. Sounds weird, but it’s good. Try it.”

I have. When I worked in Raliegh, NC years ago, we’d get lunch to go from a small downtown eatery and the specialty was hot dogs “all the way”. “All the way” was coney sauce, nustard, chopped onions, and…yes, cole slaw! Sounds sick…looked freaky…tasted great! So, I can certainly relate to your cole slaw point-of-view Drain Bead!

Contestant #3

It seems like Schlotzky’s are popping up all over the place. There are a couple where I live in Ohio, and there’s one about a block away from my parents’ place in Florida.

The reason why their sandwiches are so good is the bread, btw. They have the most interestingly textured bread on earth, especially their rye. I’m a big texture eater, so I really dig their sandwiches.

tipiwoo, they’ve reached Cali.

Oh, almost forgot, best roast beef for sandwiches (actually, best roast beef period.) is roast beef that has been salt roasted. Take a large pan, put down a layer of rock salt, put roast on salt, cover with more rock salt, make sure is completely buried. Stick in oven at 475 for 15 min per pound. Remove from oven, being very carefull, dig out roast beef from salt. You now have a roast that will melt in you mouth. Is pure heaven. But be carefull with the salt, it will be very hot and will burn to the bone if you get it on you. Use thick wash gloves to remove the salt from the beef.

>>Being Chaotic Evil means never having to say your sorry…unless the other guy is bigger than you.<<

—The dragon observes

Stoidela,
Don’t dump on Key West cuisine until you’ve had a Cuban sandwich:

Thin slices of roast pork and ham, Swiss cheese, long slices of dill pickle, mayo and/or mustard on a French loaf. The whole thing is shoved into a hot press and gooshed together for about five minutes until all is toasty and warm throughout.

We’ve got 'em up here in New York, too (the Cubans AND the sandwiches), and I think we do them a little better. But they seem more appropriate to the South Florida environment.

Uke

GAG! All of those sandwiches are gross, especially Schlotsky’s. Barforama. For the greatest sandwiches of all time just watch Scooby Doo. Shaggy and Scooby are the ultimate sandwich artisans.

Hey, wait a minute, Shaggy eats dog food. That’s gross.

I’ll second the Monte Cristo! 'Round here, if you can fry it, we’ll eat it.

tipiwoo - Georgia’s got 'em, too

C#3 - There is only one way to eat a hotdog and that is with smooth chili, shredded cheddar cheese, fine cut cole slaw, pickle relish, and onions (finely chopped preferred, but grilled will do). If you don’t have to use a knife and fork to eat it, it ain’t right.

Cole slaw also goes really well on a barbeque sandwich.

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

Re: Key West cuisine…

I did mention that each place has its own local specialties, liek the cuban sandwich (which sounds gross to me, actually. I dont’ like “smooshed” anything, except potatoes). But the local markets have a pathetic selection, and the produce is horrific. I’m terribly spoiled, living in California.

I read somewhere once that California provides some amazing percentage of the country’s produce, apart from wheat and corn. I believe it.

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Stoi,

Well, it’s not SO smooshed; call it toasted instead.

I usually hurry to defend Key West, ever since I read the marvelous story of Carl Tanzler von Cosel, his very special hobby, and its effect on the birth of Keys tourism in the late '30s.

The quality of the restaurant grub in town is pretty low…most tourists are too drunk to notice any culinary finesse. Better to eat off-island; cheaper, fresher, and tastier. I still remember a yellowtail sandwich I had in a joint on Lower Matecumbe Key five years ago.

Uke

Nobody speaks up for the pulled BBQ sandy? NC style of course.

And the person who used the word “Arby’s” in a discussion of the greatest sandwiches (without the phrase “complete opposite of”) should be banned from any epicurean discussions in the future.

Ahem. Ever since I read the marvelous story of Carl Tanzler von Cosel, his very special hobby, and its effect on the birth of Keys tourism in the late '30s.

Never should have read this thread…I’m pregnant & haven’t had lunch yet. :slight_smile:

Thos sandwiches sound sooooooo good, I’m going to have to print this thread for the recipes. That salt-roasted beef sounds unreal.

I personally like a good egg salad, with lettuce, cheese, & tomato. But I’ll eat lettuce, cheese, & tomato on just about anything. Same with dijon mustard. Too good.

Okay, I think I’m going to go fix myself a sandwich now…but I don’t know what kind…

Limburger cheese with THINLY sliced onions (to complement (sp) the limburger, not overwhelm it) on whole wheat, with Hellman’s Real mayo. Optionally, braunschweiger may be added to taste.
Lettuce and tomatoes add too much sweetness for this combo, so I frown on that. I save this delicacy for special occasions, usually when wifey won’t be home for a few hours. I also pack a couple of these in a cooler for long solo car trips.

Nothing beats a good Philly cheesesteak, yes, with provolone, any other cheese is heresy

“…send lawyers, guns, and money…”

Warren Zevon

(sigh) my wife was reading over my shoulder at my last post. I stand corrected by her, o.k. so here goes…“Nothing, except for a good * blow job *, beats a Philly cheesesteak, provolone, yada yada yada…”

“…send lawyers, guns, and money…”

Warren Zevon

Ham and Swiss cheese, with Gulden’s mustard, tomato, avocado, romaine lettuce, on Oroweat Country Potato bread; with “KC” barbecue chips and Hawaiian Punch.

my 2 faves:

hot pastrami, swiss cheese, onions, peppers, garlic aoli on rye or a wheat roll

for the veggies:
french bread or rye with garlic aoli, artichoke hearts, parmisan cheese and diced jalapenos, then toasted.
mmmmm mmmm mmmmm

To deal with men by force is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion.