Food Cravings-or- The World's Greatest Sandwich

Hats off to the Earl of Sandwich! Right now, I’m giving in to the craving for liver wurst and onion on a garlic bagel, but without a doubt the World’s Greatest Sandwich has got to be the ruben. It’s hard to find a really great ruben unless you make them yourself - but by god, what a sandwich!

Second place goes to the workhorse of sandwiches – peanut butter and jelly.

Woah, what is a ruben?
How the hell can you eat sandwiches with peanut butter & jam on the same slice? to me that is revolting, I did have a p,b & j sarnie in America once, maybe I had a bad one but I have never eaten one since & don’t plan to ever again.
If we’re talking champion sandwiches, it has to be either Roast British Beef with horseradish or Steak & mustard!
Please let me know what a ruben is.

Sorry about that. To those who don’t know what a ruben is: Corn beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut & thousand island dressing grilled on rye bread. Heaven on Earth.

With Peanut butter and jelly, you need chunky peanut butter, strawberry preserves and a good bread. No matter what the sandwich, if you’re using some sort of squishy Wonder Air bread, you’re screwed.

A rueben is corned beef on rye with sauerkraut and thousand island dressing, topped with swiss cheese.

“Owls will deafen us with their incessant hooting!” W. Smithers

A PASTRAMI reuben. THERE’S your ultimate sammich.

I always wondered why people would order corned beef when there was pastrami available. Corned beef eaters, speak up.

Of course, the hard salami is very nice today, too.

Uke

Oooops, better explain the difference to the deli-deprived:

CORNED BEEF is a beef brisket or round cured in seasoned brine.

PASTRAMI is a beef brisket, plate, or round, rubbed with salt, garlic, ground black peppercorns, cinnamon, red pepper, cloves, allspice, and coriander, which is then dry-cured, smoked, and cooked.

Hey, when’s lunch?

Uke

PB&J possibly the worlds greatest comfort food next to balogna, american cheese with butter and ketchup.

I hate mayo, ketchup, mustard, all that crap, so I am not a big fan of the conventional sandwich…
but, try this:
take an onion/garlic/everything bagel, lightly toasted, w/ butter, and make a sandwich with this filling:
canned tuna, creamy cucumber salad dressing, minced onion& dill pickles, chopped up hot peppers (jalepeno, or banana peppers) and parmesean cheesegarlic salt to taste…
drool.

When my neighbors crop of tomatoes comes in I’m a total BLT head (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato) heavy on the homemade mayonnaise on french bread. Just split the loaf down the center (lengthwise) build a big long sandwich and then live off of it all day.!

I also like to take wheat bread (the real hardy kind) and then slather on mayonnaise and a skosh of mustard then turkey, ham, avocado, white onion (the kind that rips your face off) some bacon and what ever cheese is closest. You know you’ve made this sandwich right if you can’t fit it in your mouth!

I have a few sandwhich choices:

[ul][li]Smoked Turkey breast, cheddar, lettuce, tomato and garlic mayo on a fresh onion bagel[/li][li]Rare roast beef piled high on a fresh kaiser roll with miracle whip, lettuce, tomato and horseradish cheddar cheese.[/li][li]Hot pastrami on rye bread with spicy brown mustard.[/ul][/li]
Oh God, I need a sandwich right about how…

Brian O’Neill
CMC International Records
rockuniverse.com/cmc/cmc.html

ICQ 35294890
AIM Scrabble1
Yahoo Messenger Brian_ONeill

Strips of Barbecued beef (with some sort of honey or brown sugar barbecue sauce), with fried onions, on garlic bread.

The sandwich that the gods created nectar to drink with (although I’ll settle for a Diet Coke).

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

I second the reuben, and although I’ll generally get it with corned beef, I’ll have a pastrami one every now and then.

I also love grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. Juvenile, yes, but a great comfort food.

I’m surprised nobody mentioned a hamburger. And I’m not talking about your typical fast-food burger. 1/3 lb, medium rare, grilled bun, with sauteed mushrooms, bacon, cheddar cheese, and A-1. Or (for the adventurous only), the same patty, but instead of the previous trimmings, just wrap the burger in a plain omelet, salt the crap out of it, and serve it on a butter-toasted bun.

I’m not sure if a hot dog counts as a sandwich, but chili dogs with Cincinnati-style chili can’t be beat. Sprinkle on a bit of diced onions and some finely shredded cheddar cheese.

I don’t generally like condiments (I can deal with A-1, horseradish sauce, and spicy brown mustard, but that’s it), so my favorite way to add both moisture and texture to just about any sandwich is cole slaw. Sounds weird, but it’s good. Try it.

Wow, I’m hungry for the first time in days.

One of my faves:

Fried egg (hard yolk) on soft white bread, with lots of Miracle Whip.

My husband doesn’t like almost any kind of condiment so I frequently make him cheese sandwiches with chopped olives or cheese with banana pepper rings. Good thing he likes veggies and cheese!

During Deer Camp ( round here late Nov.-early Dec.) we live for Venison Tenderloins fried in butter. The fresher the venison the better, the best is within an hour or two. I usually eat it on toast with maybe a little swiss and Italian dressing.

Philly cheesesteak is the closest thing to Ambrosia.

Thin sliced sirloin, onions, mushrooms, grilled, then covered with provolone, then on a fresh baked poboy loaf, or french bread, as long as the crust is hard and the bread is soft and flaky. Add a dollop of mayo and enjoy.
I know that the cheese selection is a holy war item in cheesesteaks, but I think provolone is the best.

A good Turkey Melt is also excellent. And Corned Beef on Sourdough with dijon mustard and red onion is always a temptation.

>>Being Chaotic Evil means never having to say your sorry…unless the other guy is bigger than you.<<

—The dragon observes

Oooooooh, Narile, the bread reference got me to thinking about REAL po’ boys…

Specifically the baked ham po’ boy from Mother’s, on Tchapitoulous Street, N’Awlins, dripping with “debris” (the stuff that falls off the roast beef into the pan), and mayonaissed cabbage and tomatoes and dill pickles.

Uke

Mmmm, CM, yours sounds yummy!

Best sandwich I ever had was bacon, corned beef and chopped chicken liver on thick rye. Must’ve been 25 years ago, and I (and my arteries!) still remember it. Had it at a good deli–obviously not a kosher one!

Nothin’ lika a good ole McRib!

Ruebens, Philly cheese steak, and grilled ham and cheese sandwichs are all great, but the best sandwich is the Monte Cristo.

Take a couple of slices of bread. Load it up with turkey, ham, bacon, and cheese. Slap on some mayo (and my own favorite; guacamole). Then dip both sides of the completed sandwich in an egg-milk batter and fry it in butter (like French toast). Mmmmm. A lot of work but worth it.

Grilled pork tenderloin with a little mayo on rye, plus a slice of swiss.

Leftover turkey on white w/Durkee’s sauce, lettuce and fresh ground black pepper.

Turkey, hard salami and cheddar w/ mayo on a sub roll.

Lox and cream cheese w/bermuda onion on a garlic bagel.

The italian sub at Lotsa Pasta.

Any true sandwich loving mystery reader should read Lawrence Sanders’s The First Deadly Sin and its sequels. Chief Edward “Iron Balls” Delany, the hero of these books, is a true sandwich conisseur? afficianado? uh, lover.

“Owls will deafen us with their incessant hooting!” W. Smithers