Food for a Mardi Gras/New Orleans themed beach party

A real simple contribution would be to bring The Hot Sauce. I lived in MSPI, going down regularly to NOLA, and got used to decent hot sauce always being on the table. Since moving above the true hot sauce belt (where you have to ask for it, and, even then, it’s most often the vile Texas Pete sauce here in NC), it’s missed. At a breakfast place here, ya request Tabasco, and eyes pop as you keep shaking the bottle over your omelet for a simple decent tasty dose.

Our LA correspondents prolly don’t even think to suggest that, because, of course, there’s hot sauce at every table. Who could imagine a sad universe where it wasn’t?

Tis true that hot sauce is pretty readily available, as a gourmet item, pricey, not the usual staple price it is down South, but you should be able to find it in NYC.

The staple NOLA brands are;Tabasco, 'course, but also Trappeys(looking at that website, though, they are now part of a larger conglomerate food empire), Crystal, and Louisiana. That’s what I remember being on every table. NOLA folks could add to that.

Hot sauce bar, and don’t be shy about pouring it on!

Music wise, zeldarae has great suggestions. Adding Irma Thomas, “the Soul Queen of New Orleans”.

I hope no one will be offended, but I’ve decided to bastardize King Cake by making King Cupcakes. I really like the novelty factor of a baby being inserted into baked goods, and I think we’ll be able to make it into a sort of a game by doing cupcakes. In addition to having luck and fortune for the year I’m going to crown the baby-holder king (or queen) and give them a prize. Also, it will save me the effort of having to slice into what will inevitably be a big, gooey, purple and gold frosted mess.

I do like all your ideas so I’m filing them away for when I have my own Mardi Gras party. I still may make another side, so keep those ideas coming.

Thanks for mentioning Trappey’s. Yes, they are no longer independent. My wife was the quality control director of their vegetable cannery when I was in grad school - their hot sauce plant was in New Iberia, I think. The last time we were in Lafayette we drove past their vegetable cannery, which is now abandoned. Too bad, it was good stuff. They made Okra and beans mostly in Lafayette.

By the way, McIllhenny, the makers of Tabasco™ offer a plant tour at their plant on Avery Island. Worth doing if you’re down that way.

Offended might be too strong a word, but disappointed sure fits.

Point your browser to Haydel’s and get a few genuine king cakes shipped to you. Please. At least think of the children (including the blubbering baby Jesus) before you do the cupcake thing.

That, or bring some cold Abita beer. We drink a lot of Abita during Mardi Gras. And mimosas and bloody marys.

That, and see if you can get some Popeye’s fried chicken. We eat a lot of Popeye’s during MG.

I mean, if you’re going to the trouble of doing MG in the summertime, you might as well make it as close to a reasonable facsimile as possible. But, if you cannot make it as authentic as possible, at least have as much fun as possible.

My humble $.02, at least.