Food To Go With Red Beans and Rice

SIL and I both love red beans and rice, but there’s only one restaurant in town that makes a good version. So, I’m gonna try to make it at home and feed the fam. Slight problem - my brother and niece don’t like beans, in any format. So I find myself needing a second Cajun or Creole dish to feed the heathens that doesn’t take too much minding, and maybe a veggie-based side dish to go with cornbread.

I ask the teeming millions: what do I feed the picky ones? Spice isn’t a roadblock, though I’d prefer something I can moderate, as the maternal unit isn’t terribly keen on heat.

Dirty rice? I sometimes make something like this, though I leave out the chicken gizzards and livers:

Collard greens? I saute up some diced onions with salt pork or bacon, add chicken stock, and when it gets to simmering, I add chopped collard greens with the spines removed. Simmer covered for about 45 minutes or until the leaves are tender, then add apple cider vinegar to taste at the end, or serve it on the side.

Yes, greens.
Stewed okra and tomatoes.
Smoked sausage.
Fried corn.

We have crawdaddies. But if they won’t eat beans, I’m afraid mud bugs might not appeal.

Chicken picante. Dead easy to make with chicken, lecho, onions, olive oil, paprika, lemon juice, and Louisiana hot sauce on the side.

Recommended if you’re not starting from dry beans:

Blue Runner Creole Cream Style Red Beans, 1 Pound (Pack of 6) - Easy Heat and Serve for Delicious Meals - Authentic New Orleans Flavor

We feed a bunch.
Red beans and Rice are on the revolving menu so maybe twice a month.
Add cornbread and salad and that’s the meal.

If it’s an event add extras. But really you don’t need anything.

Pinto beans might be more palatable for some.

I’d not do another dish with beans or rice and probably just wind up making pasta.

Ground beef / pork cooked in similar seasonings might go well.

If you use sausage in your bean concoction, that’s a good base as well. Omitting the beans, in either case, won’t lead to the same sort of “gravy” liquid that the original dish does, of course.

But really? Don’t like beans in any form? Time for a new brother and new niece, sez I :laughing: .