Foodie dopers: python meat

I’ve always wanted to make chili with rattlesnake meat. I guess python would be an acceptable substitute.

Hmm… we have crockpot. I wonder if I could A) find python anywhere nearby, and B) convince my husband to attempt cooking the everloving snot out of it.

I’ve eaten a lot of weird foods, and I actually really used to enjoy rattlesnake when I was little. We had 40 acres of swamp, and my mother hated live snakes. Dad was a pretty good snake-cooker.

I bet you could do like a python version of beef stew, where you just cook it forever and a day in the crockpot, and when it falls apart when you poke it that means its done.

Mmm… now I want fried rattlesnake again. Bugger all.

I know this is a zombie thread…but wouldn’t the assumption from the OP be that cooking python meat would pretty much be the same as cooking any other snake meat? Are there any essential differences between snake meats? The only thing I can possibly think of is that a constrictor snake like a python might require a more low heat, braising method than say, a rattler as (I’m assuming) it is a more muscled variety of snake.

Otherwise I’d assume flavor and texture are extremely similar amongst snakes. But perhaps not.

Maybe someone should hunt the wild pythons in Florida and the wild hogs running amuck at the same time. Butcher them and sell them to restaurants as ‘snake and bake’.

Python Chile Verde:

Ingredients:

10 Tomatillos

1 Garlic Head

1 each Anaheim, Ancho or Pasilla, and Jalapeno Pepper

1/2 bunch fresh Cilantro

1 c Chicken broth

1 15 oz. can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsead

1 lb. Python filets

1 Onion, medium yellow

Olive Oil

Salt & Pepper

Water or Chicken Broth to fill (about 1/2 cup)

Directions:

Line a baking sheet with foil.

Peel the papery husks off the tomatillos and rinse well to get the sticky residue off. Slice them in half and put the cut sides down on the foil. Scatter the garlic cloves (unpeeled) among the tomatillos halves. Broil until the tomatillo skins are blackened and the garlic is fragrant. Remove from the broiler and set aside to cool.

While the tomatillo/garlic mixture is cooling, place the three peppers on another foil-lined baking sheet and place them under the broiler until blackened on all sides. Remove from heat and place in a paper bag to steam the skins loose.

Once the tomatillo/garlic mixture is cool enough to handle, peel the garlic cloves (they should slide right out), discard the peels, and put the tomatillos and the garlic in a blender or food processor. Remove the skins from the peppers, cut off the tops and remove the seeds, and add the flesh to the blender. Add the cilantro and chicken broth. Blend until ingredients are liquefied but not too fine. We’re not going for bisque, here. Pour the mixture into your waiting 2-quart Crock Pot and add the beans. Stir and turn on low, and put on the lid. Might as well start the cooking process while you wrangle the snake.

Using a sturdy pair of kitchen shears, remove as much of the “silverskin” as you can because it is tough as nails. Then cut the python filets into thin strips about 2-3 inches long and 1/4-1/2 inch wide. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the python in small batches so that the meat browns rather than steaming. The pieces shouldn’t touch each other. Lightly salt and pepper each batch, and add to the Crock Pot when they’re browned. Add olive oil as needed to prevent sticking/burning. Taste test a piece. It’s good. Chewy as hell, though.

Once the snake is in the Crock Pot, quickly dice up the onion and caramelize it in the snake/olive oil drippings, then add to the Crock Pot. Stir everything together and if the mixture is a little low in the pot, add water or chicken broth so that it’s up to about 1/2 inch below the rim. Shouldn’t need more than about 1/2 cup. Replace the lid and cook on low for 8-12 hours - you will need a long, slow cooking time to break down the muscle tissue in that constrictor meat and make it tender.

Serve with fresh cilantro, sour cream, tortillas, whatever you like with chile verde. Serves 4-6.

I’ve eaten snake, didn’t know which variety it was, roasted, very nice ;but you get a lot of “fishbones” in it.

Also eat same boiled in sea water, totally disgusting.

Dearest HippieThrasher
I just made your chile verde and it was absolutely AMAZING!!! I didn’t play around with it and made it just as the recipe said to and I loved it. Since Python is so expensive where I live, next time I will use beef tongue or goat. I think those meats will hold up to the long cook time without becoming mush. Thanks so much for the recipe it is going in the book for sure. arn