Foods that smell better than they taste

For me, it’s meat. I absolutely LOVE the smell of red meat cooking - a nice, juicy steak dripping off the grill. But the second I put it in my mouth, it’s a “What in the hell are you thinking?” moment. Which probably accounts for why I’m a vegetarian.

Ava

Another vote for coffee. Smells heavenly, but tastes exactly like what it is–burnt beans.:eek:

Juicy Fruit Red. Smells delicious. Tastes kind of like a rice cake.

I think that roast garlic smells terrific but I dont know if I could bring myself to just eat a whole clove

For me it’s barbeque. It smells so good… .but most of the time I can’t stand it…

Another for popcorn and coffee.

For me, tea. I pour cup after cup of it all day at work, and the different kinds smell so good … Passion, Earl Grey, Wild Sweet Orange, China Green Tips … but I absolutely cannot stand the taste of tea, no matter what kind or what one puts in it.

Coffee, definately. Also, melons and cherry coke.

Vanilla extract. Funny story-

when I was little we were trying to sell our house. One gimmick my mom tried was to put some drops of vanilla extract in a muffin tray, then toss it in the oven and turn the oven on. The whole house was filled with this extremely pleasant cookie-like smell. People would go, “Mmm, it smells like…um…er…something really tasty is in the oven”

I also liked the smell. Once my mom left the bottle out, and I figured, anything that smells that good has to taste GREAT! well one drop on my tongue proved me wrong! :eek: Geez it made my tongue burn like hell and tasted horrible; I was shocked at how good it smelled yet how horrible it tasted.

Of course, the same can be said for Magic Markers and Glade plug-in inserts (I thought they were JOLLY RANGERS, OKAY?)

Kentucky Fried Chicken. Smells so good. Tastes terrible.

And coffee. If I could eat the smell of it, I would.

One more for popcorn and coffee.

I love the smell of coffee, freshly ground beans or brewing, but have never been able to drink it. Even the stuff people tell me is “good” tastes like dishwater to me.

There is also a Celestial Seasons Vanilla Maple tea that smells simply wonderful, but it has the flattest taste.

Both Pepper Mill and I love the smell of coffee as we walk past the coffee shops in the local malls. Neither of us can stand the taste of coffee.

Coffee doesn’t invariably smell wonderful. My grandmother’s coffee always had a metallic tang to the smell. I suspect she didn’t always wash the pot out afterwards.

Freshly crushed Colorado potato beetles.

Why are you looking at me that way?

Spare me the inevitable jokes, but ginger. Fresh ginger, peeled and grated and ready to drop into a recipe, smells heavenly. Tastes like fire.

Cocoa powder and molasses.

coffee
bacon
toast
(vanilla extract? owwwwww.):wink:

Lamb. Whilst cooking it smells wonderful. But with out the mint jelly it’s quite disgusting… to me.

Not only do fast food burgers smell better than they taste, but the fries fit that description even more so. If eaten hot, fast food fries taste tolerably potatolike. Cold, they taste like what they are;fried paste made of fibers that once were part of a potato. Reheated,they taste like refried paste.

Back in the olden days before overprotective bureaucrats decided that teenagers were too stupid and clumsy to operate potato peeling machines, McDonald’s and other chains made fresh fries that not only tasted good hot, but could be spread on a cookie sheet and rewarmed in your oven without tasting gross. I know, because I made thousands of pounds of these fries between 1966 an 1968.

None of us “underage” kids lost or even injured any limbs, digits, eyes, etc. using equipment that OSHA now says is too complex for 15-year-olds to safely operate.

Cheap chocolate. It seems like the good stuff, and tastes like an chalk-covered oil spill.

Fake (vegetarian) bacon bits. Smells smoky and all but has strangely got little taste.