Foods with State Names

It’s not Rhode Island Red. It’s Rhode Island- clear, not red, no cream.

I eat this version all the time, in Rhode Island and New England in general.

It’s it’s own version.

I noted it was clear chowder, just missed the edit window after typing Red. Seems I’m posting haphazardly a lot. My apologies.

I was going to mention Rhode Island Red, as in the chicken. But that’s not really a food, per se, it just ends up as one :o

There are breeds of chicken named for New Hampshire, Delaware, New Jersey (Jersey Giant) and two for Rhode Island (Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White). All are either meat birds or dual-purpose, so they can be and have been eaten. They’re better known to poultry farmers than to cooks and diners though.

It’s a bit of a cheat, since they’re not named directly after the state, but there’s Pennsylvania Dutch Shoofly Pie and Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Pie.

If chain restaurants count, there was/is Kansas Fried Chicken, which I used to see in the New York City area. Apparently it no longer exists in the US, but bizarrely there are restaurants by this name in the UK and Cairo, Egypt.:confused:

Also New York Strip Steak, originally known as Delmonico’s steak from the restaurant in NYC.

Texas Red Hots

No worries. It’s, hands down, my favorite version of chowder with NE a close second. Ones with tomatoes aren’t on the list.

Few have heard of it and I’m a bit evangelical when it comes to RI clam chowder! :slight_smile:

Hawaiian rolls? I’ve seen them, but never tasted one.

I think in a lot of cases we have more specific geographic indicators- Vidalia onions, Cajun gumbo, Monterey Jack, Chicago style pizza, etc… instead of state-specific ones. Even stuff like “Central Texas BBQ” versus the rest of the state.

Ohio buckeyes?

There’s a British chain called “Maryland Chicken.” Apparently they have 12 locations, mostly around Leicestershire. I’ve never been to the UK, and I’ve never successfully gotten someone I know that’s visiting the UK to go there, so I don’t know whether it’s any good or not. The one location I found a Yelp page for only had 8 reviews, but 7 of them were good, and almost all of them compared directly to KFC, some favorably, others not.

It’s not really all that common around here, although it may have been more popular in the past. There are a handful of restaurants that make clear chowder and then add cream or tomato sauce to provide white and red chowder, neither one being as good as the clear they were made from.

Texas caviar (a sort of dip made from black-eyed peas) is one that I just remembered.

There’s also Texas chili

You know, with as much of a food culture as they have in Louisiana and New Orleans in particular, it feels like there should be some sort of food with Louisiana in its name. But I will be damned if I can think of one. I suppose there are some brands of hot sauce that bill themselves as “Louisiana hot sauce” but that seems to be mainly a marketing thing, not a specific variety of hot sauce.

Long Island makes an abomination (called LI clam chowder) that is Manhattan and NE chowders mixed together.

It is to weep.

The iced tea is the only good thing I can think of that starts with ‘Long Island’.

There a lot of dishes called ‘Cajun’ or ‘Creole’, but I think you are right that there must be something out there. ‘Louisiana Hot Sauce’ is pretty much a synonym for cayenne hot sauce. Even the ‘Louisiana Hot Sauce’ brand labels itself as ‘Original’ because of competitors.

Wikipedia lists Louisiana Creole Cuisine as a separate category, there are other Creole Cuisines, but it’s not a dish, just a style of cooking.

Arkansas Rice might not count to some. I care not for we have a Diamond mine. So there!
(:))
Let’s not for forget ‘Chocolate Gravy’ yummy!

In fact, the signature cheese of Wisconsin is named for a town in the north-central part of the state, a blend of young cheddar and something white that is emblematic of the ethos of bland that pervades their cheesy culture. There are well-known cheddars that come from other states that actually taste like something.

Georgia Gold, the mustardy fried chicken seems to be eve,rywhere at the moment.