Foods you ate in the 60's or 70's that are still good.

I brought this up because I’m making La Choy beef with rice. I’m going back to my childhood.

Spam, I like it dammit. Not every day but for a Saturday on the couch watching football…yeah.

Pigs in blankets (hotdog segments wrapped in Pillsbury biscuit dough).

Yoohoo.

ETA: Zotz.

Rice a Roni would be OK in the right context. This subject is actually making me realize how much 60-70’s packaged food sucked.

Most of the convenience foods from that era were most forgettable for me. I won’t be serving Steakum’s and Champale to my guests anytime soon. Nope. Ditto Whip N’ Chill.

Almost everything.

I won’t eat braunschwager anymore.

Onion dip (dried soup mix ‘n’ sour cream).

Salty, but good.

Luckily, potato chip technology has improved significantly since then.

Kraft Mac & Cheese.:slight_smile: I love it, and have since the 50’s.

I expect some of the Twinkies I ate in the 60’s could still be good, if they had been kept in their orginal packaging and stored in a cool, dark place.

Cheez-its (Cheez-Its are NOT the same as Cheese Nips, why make a list if you aren’t going to follow it </Roger the Alien>) or goldfish crackers… loved them as a kid… I still always have some on hand.

Oddly, Twinkies have a rather short shelf life.

Mushroom soup-based casseroles (tuna, broccoli and ham, chicken tortilla). Not my personal favorites, but they are generally innocuous and the kids like them.

Fondue! I still have a harvest gold fondue pot from the 70s that works perfectly. Yum!

I bought a container of salt in 1975. It’s still good. As you might imagine, I don’t use table salt very often :slight_smile:

When my brother (who is almost 50) asked for what he wanted for dinner on his 5th birthday, long before I was born, family legend says he asked for “hamurmers an burnt potatos.” Since then, my Mom’s recipe for pan-fried potatos has gone by that somewhat unflattering name. I made sure Mom taught my wife how to make them, and I still enjoy them to this day. Nothing like thick-sliced potatos fried in a black iron skillet with bacon grease, onions, and lots of pepper until they are slightly blackened, with “hamurmers” or any other dish.

25 days for baked goods is short? http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/twinkies.asp

Anyway, I’ve had 'em a few years past their ‘sell by’ date, and I couldn’t tell the difference. :smiley:

Carnation Instant Breakfast
Pop Tarts
I think if I was a Doctor and had the stereotypical collection of glass jars on shelves displaying assorted body parts in formaldehyde, I’d include one jar with a Twinkie in it.

Underwood deviled ham, I choose not to look at the ingredients because I still like it on crackers. I made the mistake of reading what goes into Armor potted meat because I was feeling nostalgic…blech. Not going back there. And one more! Easy cheese, what can be better than fake cheese in a can of compressed air?

Hey, how old is Easy Cheese, anyway? Was it around in the 1970s? I always think of it as a product of the late 80s.

Screaming Yellow Zonkers.

I found some homemade peppermints from the 70’s, crumbly but still pretty good.