Foot surgery: Time to throw the old hoof into the ring?

Anyone have experience with a type of foot surgery called the “Kidner Procedure”? Basically, I have an extra-navicular bone I have had all of my life that began causing me pain about six years ago (I’m 49 now and it has increased as my flat duckfeet get duckier and duckier – custom ortho inserts don’t help much and actually sometimes make the foot hurt more).

As I understand it, they more or less remove the bone, put the foot back together with screws 'n stuff, then cast it for months.

A friend at work had it done and it was a pretty awful experience and she still has pain (though it has been somewhat alleviated). Last night, as happens about once a week, I was kept up most of the night with a dull, pounding foot ache that OTC stuff doesn’t really quell.

Is time to throw in the towel and get Ye Old Hoof cut up?
I’d really love to be athletic again (running, in particular), but cursory research yields that this may not be realistic again even with surgery.

Any insight much appreciated!

There are a hundred or so issues to be considered.

Can you get through rehab and still have a job/income?

What kinds of doctors have you seen? Ortho surgeon would be a good person to see - and they know about pain and the medicines needed.

BIG POINT - do NOT use lots of NSAIDS in your quest for pain relief - they attack kidneys, and you really, really don’t want kidney failure in your life.

If you can’t sleep, it is past time to do something. I just saw another "OMG! people are dying! (um, yes, that is pretty much a given, isn’t it?).
This time it is the mix of opioids (bad, bad opioids!) and sleeping/anti-anxiety/anti- whatever, (we are back to) benzodiazepines. IOW: the go-to meds for pain + insomnia.
Go for the pain control and see if the sleep fixes itself.

Stay away from NSAIDS.

I’m due for foot surgery myself but I keep putting it off because we can’t afford to lose my salary/benefits right now.

As my podiatrist says, “When your issue begins affect your quality of life, that’s when you start seriously looking at any kind of surgery.”

On a related note: Roughly 15-20 years ago I had a bunionectomy and had to be out of work for a minimum of a month so my foot would heal properly. I went nuts being housebound so I started driving (albeit painfully) around the neighborhood contrary to doctor’s orders. I returned to work 2-3 weeks later (again, contrary to orders). Fast forward to today – the bunion has returned with a vengeance, giving me severe twisty hammertoes on that foot, so twisty that I now cannot fit into most conventional footwear. I’m on my feet for a living, and the numbness sometimes gets scary as in “I can’t feel my foot”. I’ve been told that all my metatarsals would have to be broken and reset and I can kiss my career goodbye.

I’m probably doing more damage to it now because I’m too young to retire. But yeah, shortening my then-recovery definitely contributed to the issues I have now. Just a FYI.

Huh. I also have an accessory navicular in each foot. First time I’ve heard of anyone else with one.

If you have exhausted other treatment options, then yes, it’s time to consider surgery. I would be surprised if you don’t have complete or near-complete relief; at least in theory, once the bone is removed, there’s no reason for you to have ongoing pain (unless it’s related to the collapsed arches more than the navicular).

Well, don’t stay away from them entirely but DO use with reasonable caution.

Pain is a great disruptor of sleep - a few years back when I had severe shoulder / knee pain, on top of existing sleep issues (restless legs and apnea) and a new one (med side effect masquerading as severe GERD), the pain was just the shit topping on the poop cake, sleep-wise.

Depending on what’s involved in the surgery, they may want you to avoid NSAIDS after, as they can in theory impede bone repair. The ortho told me that when I broke my foot a few years back.