Football loses 3 Coaching Icons

Bill Belichick after an incredible 24 years, Pete Carroll after 14 years, and Nick Saban after a whopping 17 years are all done coaching for their respective teams.

I think each was a great coach in his own right. I believe that, if Brady had played for the Bears instead, he’d have been another Jay Cutler and have zero Super Bowl rings. Saban had a relatively weak team starting this season, and many pundits thought he would have to work hard just to be bowl eligible. Instead, after an opening loss, he ran the table, shocked Georgia in the title game, and literally came out of nowhere to finish in the college football playoffs. Though I never like Pete Carroll because of what happened at USC, I have to respect his record at Seattle.

Lol, no they didn’t.

Was I the only one to think. “Damn! Which other great manager died recently, other than Beckenbauer and Venables, to make three?”

Let’s confuse things even more!

Damn does Oklahoma need to hire someone again?

Pete Carroll is retiring? Time to sell my stock in Big League Chew bubble gun

No you weren’t, except I forgot Venables and was including Brazil player and manager Mario Zagallo, who died last week.

You don’t wanna do that.

Pete Carroll was here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and he’s just been fired from kicking ass. So his gum-chewing will definitely intensify.

Saban went out on a high note.

I can’t understand what happened with the Patriots? I think Bill Belichick still has the fire in his belly. He’s older and probably tires more easily. It seems like the Patriots talent roster slipped a few notches. They never found another Tom Brady. Is that Bill’s fault or his assistants?

Anyway, Bill Belichick changed the game. I didn’t always like his approach but he was successful.

Brady won a Superbowl with the Buccaneers.

What does that have to do with the Bears? Non sequitur.

You implied the Brady had nothing to do with Belichick’s success, which is silly. Brady did great without Bill. Bill has done nothing without Brady.

That’s your interpretation, which I can honestly say mystifies me. Brady had everything to do with Belichick’s success but, being a good coach, Belichick did a lot to bring out the best in Brady, just like the Walrus brings out the best in Mahomes. There is a reason some coaches have perennially good QBs, and some organizations suffer perennial failure. You can’t attribute decades of failure to “bad luck” or decades of success to “good luck”.

If you look at the Packers, they developed Aaron Rodgers for three years before he stepped in for Favre. They also developed Jordan Love three years before he took the field as their starting quarterback. Gee, do you think that might have something to do with their success?

The Bears, on the other hand, are going to do what they always do because, unfortunately, their stupidest fans are the loudest. Caleb Williams has been insanely over hyped, so they are going to draft him and throw him out there immediately to face NFL defenses far superior to any defenses he ever faced in college. He won’t really be ready and, if he suffers a lot of early failure, it could damage his confidence to the point where we will have ruined yet another promising QB.

They could of drafted him and kept Fields so that he could have been on the sidelines for a season studying NFL defenses and better learning our own system. Then, if Fields didn’t blossom into a star, they could of let Fields go and promote Williams to the starting role. Oh, no, it’s, “Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead!”

Bill Belichick will reportedly be joining Peyton & Eli Manning for their alternate broadcast of MNF games. Which sounds great, it will be fascinating to hear him analyze a game that he’s got no stake in. I assume he and Peyton will get along very well, they’re both super football nerds who demand perfection. Hopefully Bill will also join Peyton in making fun of Eli, and Eli will retaliate by bringing in David Tyree and Ahmad Bradshaw as guests.

And, except for Brady, this absolutely doesn’t describe Bill Belichick.

Name the perennially good QBs he had in Cleveland. Or the ones he developed after Brady left.

Was Belichick a good coach? Sure. But to paraphrase above, if he’d been in Chicago he’d just be another dude with a middling record who petered out after a few years.

I think the Jets are a perfect example of that :grin: