For Tom of Tomndebb OT Formation

As I noted, sometimes it looks more a work by Jackson Pollock than even Picasso.

By the way, I may not have made it clear in various previous threads, but I am not at all persuaded that we can exhaustively narrow the authorship down to half-verses and interpolations. For example, to me, the difference in “voice” between the verses ending at Gn 2:4a and those beginning with Gn 2:4b are pretty distinct even in English translations, but to correctly and unquestionably identify unique authors in these passages on the flood
P: Gn 7:13 - 7:16a
J: Gn 7:16b
P: Gn 7:17a
J: Gn 7:17b
P: Gn 7:18 - 7:21
seems to be pushing it. (This division could be 100% accurate, I simply used it as a case where the assigning of authors gets pretty picky.)

I have seen how many of the conclusions are drawn and I respect the work that is done, but that does not mean that I simply accept the works of the various scholars as gospel (pardon the pun).

Dex mentioned that among anomalies, some J verses use Elohim to identify God while some E and P verses use the Tetragrammaton to name God. To elaborate on this, the various practioners of the literary criticism are not simply “making it up as they go along” assigning verses to whichever author they’d like. In the P and E sections, only Elohim is used to identify God until God identifies Himself to Moses in the burning bush. After that point, those two traditions use Elohim to refer to God and the Tetragrammaton to name Him. The point of naming the threads according to the word used to identify God is not an absolute in the literary research. Rather, the earliest attempts to unravel the threads were prompted by the noticeable contrast between various styles of speech and the recognition that each of those styles tended to use one or another of the words for God. (P was originally identified as E until it was recognized that E had two separate voices. J also has more than one “voice” and there are scholars who distinguish between J (being very religious in tone) and an L–laity–source that uses the Tetragrammaton but is generally quite secular in the tone of the thread.
Later analysis does not simply “follow the name” but looks for thematic consistency, the continuity or interruption/resumption of specific stories, and the apparent theology that any given tradition might appear to be putting forward. (Most scholars, today, speak of the various “traditions” instead of presuming a specific single human author.)

While this calls for subtle inferences about what is going on in the text, it is, of course, open to charges of conjecture. It can be a lot of fun, but it is by no means at the level of certainty that construction engineering requires.

Another aspect of the deductions made so far is that not only is Joshua an extension of the Pentateuch in a Hexateuch, but that some of the literary traditions (rather than authors) continue on (separately) in Judges, then in Samuel and Kings or in Chronicles. This links all of the narrative books in a single (multiply authored) work that synthesizes Jewish belief as they perceive themselves interacting with God in history.

To get to that level of analysis, you really need to get an actual text on the subject. Friedman’s Who Wrote the Bible is probably an excellent place to start. I have purchased it in the last couple of years, but I’ve only dipped into it here and there. (It got shoved behind a couch and went missing for a while, so I haven’t had time to read the whole thing, yet.)

(Factoid: The single-letter identifiers, J, E, P, D, H, (and L) are known as sigla.)

Tom~

I’ve been checking Powells, ADDALL, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and very little of:

Freedman, David Noel
Wright, G. Ernest
Speiser, E. A.

are still in print, or even available used.

Freedman and Albright were the editors of the Anchor Bible. Freedman is Albright’s biographer and bibliographer, those works along with Freedman’s multi volume biblical dictionary are available.

Not one of the books Tom mentioned is in print or available used.

That figures.

(I’m surprised that Eissfeldt is not available, but it may run in cycles as a college text.)

Wait. Not David Noel Freedman.

Richard Elliott Friedman, Who Wrote the Bible? a trade paperback for around $14 or $15 that is still very much in print.

Tom~

Thanks you, Tom, I found: Richard Elliott Friedman, “Who Wrote the Bible?” in Amazon. They had both used copies=out of print and new from another publisher. So I ordered a copy. Probably going to be a lot easier than Freedman, Albright and the others!

Not sure where I want to go from here!

Oh, I’m gonna keep using these #%@&* codes 'til I get 'em right.

I’ve been reading Albright’s “The Biblical Period from Abraham to Ezra: an historical survey” and it mentions O. Eissfeldt’s “brilliant” monograph on Deut. 32 pub. 1958.

Again, Eissfeldt is out of print and unavailable as a used book. Probably pop up in a while.

Friedman has written others. The LAPL has seven lsted, although two books listed are actually two different editions of Who Wrote the Bible? If you want the titles of the others, look here: http://catalog.lapl.org:80/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?resultsScreen+15885+1+7+1

I have a lot of reading ahead of me. Which is one of the things I live for.

>< DARWIN >
__L___L

That link I provided may not work. Try this: http://catalog.lapl.org/ and click on “Search the Catalog” and have it search for Friedman, Richard Elliott and you’ll get those other titles.

>< DARWIN >
__L___L

Good source, Jab1, but too far away for me.

I started reading about OT formation sort of back-end-to and read more primary sources than over-all summaries and have had trouble pulling it together. The EB article looks pretty good. Summaries offered by Moriah, Tom, Dex, and Polycarp are good, too.

Maybe I just want the impossible “brief and complete” that Tom mentioned.

Send any good ideas right back this way, please.

BTW: In your spare time - someone in the “About this Message Board” section somebody got a horse (?) to run - have you tried to get the Darwin FEET moving?

That’d be cool, too.

No, but I though about this:

>< DARWIN >
----L–L—

Wading through water. AND:

>< DARWIN >
^^^L^^L^^^^

Rough water.

Jois, I don’t know where you live, your profile doesn’t say, but those other books might be available at YOUR Public Library, too. And if you know the titles, you might be able to order them from Amazon or someone.

>< DARWIN >
__L___L

What about just blinking the feet

<blink>L</blink><blink>L</blink>__
Hum

Here you are, JAB…
<marquee>< DARWIN ><
J___J____
</marquee>
Or, with one code garbaged to make the how-to appear:
{marquee>< DARWIN ><
J___J____
</marquee>

Here you are, JAB…
<marquee>< DARWIN ><
J___J____
</marquee>
Or, with one code at beginning and end garbaged to make the how-to appear:
{marquee>< DARWIN ><
J___J____
</marquee}

BTW: I’m already infamous at this local library, they make that little X sign when they see me and duck behind the desks. I gave them all little wooden stakes last year for Christmas last year, but I’m still here.
<blink>/</blink>~<blink>&lt;/blink>~~~

With the one that walks on water you could add one of those musical things playing, “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” - perfection!

I have NO idea how to do any of that. I just started doing this this year. Check my profile and you’ll see when I got started. I’m lucky I remembered how to type. I’m willing to learn more, but I’m going to take it slowly. I have the time.

>< DARWIN >
__L___L

Never mind, I really crack up every time I see it now! If YOU want to change it yell for Louie in About is Message Board. He’s usually good and kind and doesn’t have to be kick started.

Niether does Polycarp; but I don’t get the
marquee part, is it supposed to move?

I guess it’s supposed to move in sequence like the lights on a marquee.

>< DARWIN >
__L___L