Forbidden Randomness of the Unspoiled Mafia

It’s how I read this post:

But that was because, for some reason, I was assuming he was Town. I would not think an actual Town power role would want to draw attention to himself. But, of course, that may be what a power role Chronos would want Scum to think.

But I actually think it would be pretty nice for Scum Chronos to later claim that he was implying he was a power role from the beginning, as it is a pro-town move if you are Vanilla to do so.

So, yeah, my first real attempt at figuring out a Mafia game ahead of time is probably just WIFOM.

This is the first game played on these boards. As it was my personal crash course in Mafia, I cannot complain and think it is a good basic look.

There is a wiki that has been set up by/for the playing community from the Dope, the mafia spin-off board created by Idle Thoughts, the Giraffe boards, on Facebook, and elsewhere.

There are also a various other general mafia wiki-type sites, the most well-known being mafiascum.

Mafiascum has a great introductory flash video here. I’ve never played Mafia myself, but I found the vid very useful when I started following the games played here on the boards.

I’ve thought we should link to all of those at the start of games, similar to how the rules are always completely explained for feuds.

I also want to point ou that the wiki will take you to all the other sites where we (well, mostly they, I’ve only played one) play.

I signed up at MafiaScum.net and I read everything in the beginner and advanced flash pages. The games look really fun, but I’ve got to wait a day for an admin to approve my profile and the only game going on the Straight Dope board is well underway. So I must wait.

Anyone else find it odd that it took so long to for someone to articulate why Peeker’s “claim” could have been scum motivated? I didn’t notice when he made the post, but the second he was called on it, I assumed that’s what we were talking about.

There’s a new game starting up at IdleMafia.com. It’s going to be fairly straightforward according to Idle Thoughts, who is the designer and moderator of that game.

More so now that he Just. Won’t. Drop It.

Yes, Clockwork, you should totally come play in Idle’s WWE game if you’re looking to catch the fever.

Sure! Can I get a link to it please?

The game looks awesome. I’m jealous seeing you guys monkey around in the game thread. :3 Now, one thing I’ve noticed, in some games days end immediately when a person is lynched and in some (like the ones here) there is a set day and night period. I’m assuming that’s because people here have busy schedules and can’t be on all day, but which type of game is more common?

Signup link for Idle Thoughts’ game on his Mafia boards:

You’ll need to register for a user name on his boards.

ETA: Most games have a set duration for the length of day and night. Sometimes holidays and general availability of the Mod and/or players results in adjustments to that schedule. Some setups do have a hammer vote mechanism which, when it occurs, can end the Day earlier than the prescribed schedule.

I just need five or six more players for a game starting on my boards (idlemafia.com)

So please, please, please…if you’re just sitting around and not doing much, join that game.

It will be a very simple set up and very basic game. Not complex at all.

When does the game start? I’m afraid of signing up and forgetting about it in a few days.

That’s really something you should ask in the actual signup thread. It’s all Idle’s decision, and he’s paying more attention over there.

If it’s like most games, it depends on when they actually get all the people required to play.

Back to the game:

Just remembered something: Peeker himself posts from a phone. He of all people should know that a YouTube link would not be visible to all.

STORYTELLER GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

I swear I was going to make a comment earlier about how Zeriel was pinging me beyond all belief, just got distracted.

I PM’ed this to NAF, but I figure I’ll repost it here as well. (Why yes, I’m a smartass. Why do you ask?)

Not really. The odds of a coin coming up head 100 times in a row is staggeringly small. In fact, I’d bet my entire life’s fortune (which isn’t that much at this point) that the coin will land on heads in that 101st flip because the coin is obviously loaded.

Granted, over an extremely large number of flips, you might be able to find 100 heads in a row somewhere, but the odds of 100 heads in a row coming up from any arbitrary point are next to impossible.

OK, I am now completely rethinking “vote for the person you find scummiest”. This time round, that led to only 4 players NOT getting votes. Way, way too easy for scum to hide. Sure, some scum must have caught votes, but so what? They’ll come off in the wash. I bet some of those votes are friendly fire.* Having two viable candidates towards the end of the Day is much more important than I’d realised - it forces scum to commit one way or another. This is just a mush.

Also, spoilers please, sach? To leave with a prediction, I think NAF is scum.

*If you vote for a fellow-scum who doesn’t get lynched, do we still call it bussing?

Agree, town effectively handed control of the lynch to scum. I think it’s acceptable to “vote for the scummiest” if you have no read on or preference between the leading lynch candidates, otherwise your vote is just adding noise, but I tend to vote for a leader. It’s anti-town or scummy to ignore the vote getters. I’ve only skimmed the game, but I don’t think I’ve seen a less productive Day 1 for town. I think that can be a problem with fully closed setups, town don’t have a starter topic.

Not really, it’s more distancing if they aren’t in any danger of getting lynched. Early in the game, scum can easily change direction.

I’m shocked that peeker was town. Shocked, I tell you. :slight_smile:

I still think he intentionally plays scummy so that, when he is scum, he can get away with it.