Forbidden Thread: Mafia V

I think your performance in M2 has pretty much stigmatized you. It’s a shame, you’re two of the people I’ve enjoyed watching play the most, because I was learning good stuff about how those roles should be played.

It’s funny - looking at Diggit’s reply above has driven home the thing that makes this game so difficult. My replies “directing suspicion away from Kat” were obviously no such thing - I was town, had no way of knowing her identity, so how could I accomplish this? Had I been scum, I would most certainly have made more of an effort to be at least tangentially involved in that lynch if it happened.

I’m becoming increasingly convinced that the way that players go about identifying scum tells is seriously flawed, because when I was being as scummy as I could be, I was universally trusted; when I have played town, I have been pegged as potential scum repeatedly. It’s odd.

Hey, Mtgman, are you in here? Want to hear a funny story?

:smiley: Maybe people won’t think you’re a mafia god anymore after they hear this, eh?

I should clarify: On Day 1 you called out MadtheSwine for voting against Clockwork for some reason. That was actually the “implicit defense” I saw.

On Day 2 you did a similar thing, several times. You called someone out because they remarked on A’s behavior but not on B’s behavior, doing the same thing.

Most of those remarks were about people calling Kat out for some behavior.

Since you were already on my radar because on Day 1 you subtly “defended” someone without prior knowledge, this “confirmed” my knowledge about you.
Obviously I was wrong, at least on your Day 2 behavior towards Kat

I don’t know how much I should say in response to this, for fear of revealing too much, but in general, when I was calling out people for voting for either **Kat/AZ ** or CJ/KE, it was because I found fault with the strength or consistency of their reasons for voting. I probably should have stated this explicitly, but I didn’t intend any of those posts as a defense of a particular player - my argument was that the evidence presented was insufficient or, in my opinion, outright fabricated. Does that make sense?

I certainly wouldn’t be ox-handed enough to actively defend someone about whom I had prior knowledge. Oh, well; live (or in my case, get killed by a vigilante) and learn. :slight_smile:

Same here… should have gone with Autolycus; anyhow, he seems to be the popular option :stuck_out_tongue: .

What was your funny story, then?

Well, in order to tell it, I have to reveal one bit of still-secret information. I realize current players shouldn’t be reading this anyway, but I want to get clearance from Blaster Master before I go blabbing that part. BM?

I was thinking the same thing, because if anyone did read this thread, the funny story could potentially lead to real knowledge in the game. I think it would be better in a PM for safety’s sake (after the whole Idle Thoughts/tirial/Gadarene fiasco in M3), and it can be posted here later when it’s no longer pertinent information.

I love funny stories, shoot me a PM. I won’t be requesting to sub back in because I’m getting swamped at work.

Enjoy,
Steven

Ok, that was one hell of a funny story. That alone probably made the whole game worth it, even if I did go out ignobly on Day 1.

Enjoy,
Steven

<bows floridly>

My stupidity, she is limitless.

Okay, now that is thirty-seven kinds of not fair. I want the funny story! (please?)

Of course your stupidity must be female… misogynist. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, I want the funny story, too! (I’d try to sub back in, but I don’t think Blaster Master would let me.)

Sure, you can sub back in, but only as scum. :wink:

Deal! :smiley:

Well having been absent for a week or so from the game, it is getting really big.

I pity anyone who has to sub in at this time onwards due to all the posts that have to be read.

**BlasterMaster ** When setting the game up did you ever think that 30 players might be a few too many? :wink:

I was originally planning to make it 24-25 players, but once I had picked out all the roles and started playing with the numbers, in order to balance out the number of power roles, I had to add increase the player count. Of course, M2 still has this beat (it had 38 players, but three were dead on the first night).

I was also planning on the Crusader being alive a little bit longer, but it wasn’t so much poor play on his part as it was bad luck.

OK, is anyone else completely confused by the new strategy the town has adopted? Instead of having everyone spend huge sums of time compiling every single post made by another player, which at least had the pretence of objectivity, we have players creating endless post analyses summarizing their own participation - which means the good guys are going to spend reading and writing time studying their own posts instead of looking at the posts of others.

Who came up with this idea, and why is (s)he not leading the lynch vote right now?

It looks like it stemmed from Post 1468 by sachertorte.

IMO, post summaries have a very low signal to noise ratio. I thought they were a bad idea in M2 because scum tells are generally either small nuances like tone and wording that is lost in a summarization; plus, you had to concern yourself with the allegiance of the person making the summary. Was everyone REALLY looking over each summarization and making sure it was legit? If so, then the summarization was a waste of time. If not, they could easily slip in a few alternate interpretations to help change how someone appears.

This version is just as bad because you’re essentially giving each person a chance to ignore points that look bad, and paint themselves to look better. You lose all subtlety and only have the major tells left that can’t be washed out.

Thus, I think post summaries are only really useful when making a case, so it’s not just “here’s what was said, make up your own mind.” It should be “here’s what was said, here’s what I think, do you agree?” Then there’s a degree of accountability either way.

I do find it very intriguing that no one threw a fit about sachertorte’s idea like they did for his other ones. OTOH, if it’s a ruse and he has the time to devote to follow it up, it could be a brazen move.