Forced Abortion?

Zulu: I believe I was the one who used the term “thrown away”. Until I reread what I’d written, I didn’t realize how unclear I’d been… You are quite right that adopted children are in no sense thrown away. Their birth parents made a hard sacrifice, and the adoptive parents chose those children to love and raise as their own.

You and all adoptees truly are chosen ones. I apologize for my clunky wording that you quite rightly found insulting.

The children I referred to are the many who are NOT adopted. All too often they get shuffled around a system that is at times inept and at best a faint, impersonal shadow of family life. Those kids would love nothing more than to have someone adopt them and love them back.

There just aren’t enough wonderful folks like your adoptive parents out there. The sad fact is that way too many kids, by not being chosen to join a family, are rejected: thrown away. Many miraculously go on to make successes of their lives, but they have to transcend a huge void that, IMO, no child should ever have to face. Kids need and deserve *families" to belong to.

I should have been much clearer in what I wrote.

Veb

As an adoptee, a birthmother, and one who has had an abortion, let me toss in two more cents.

I have been so blissfully lucky that I’ve been an adult during the times of my two unplanned pregnancies. The first time around, I chose adoption. No one forced me. The second time, I chose abortion. No one forced me into that either. Both decisions were the right ones for me to make at the time I had to make them. Seeing as how I was an adult, though, I was really the only one who could make the choice.

If I had been a teenager, I know I would have wanted, at the very least, to be able to make my wishes known, and taken into consideration. I would have resented anyone trying to force me into anything. My mother was forced into giving up a baby (not me–I have an older sister). It affected her for years. When she and my older sister were reunited in 1988, my mom changed, and for the better. She no longer worried about what had happened to her child. The depression she seemed to fall into every spring (when my sister was born) vanished.

I have an open adoption. I know the daughter I relinquished eleven years ago. I do not worry about her. I know she is with a family that loves her, and she’s turning out beautifully. As for the abortion I had, well, sometimes I do get to wondering what things would be like had I not made that choice. Then I start thinking about what my life was like at the time I had the abortion. It sucked. My mental state was only about two steps from insanity. I could not have gone through with another adoption–even though my first one was successful, it was still painful. Parenting? No way. I would have lost that child to the state.

I’m an adoptee, too. My stepfather adopted me when I was two years old. He was 18 when I was born. My mom was 19, old enough to tell her parents to get stuffed when they tried to force her to give me up too. She couldn’t do it twice, either. But then she met my dad (step). He was brave enough, for 1967, to marry my mom & adopt me. I will always admire him for that. And I admire my birthfather too, for having the presence of mind to realize that it was best to just let me go.

While the numbers of teen girls getting pregnant is appalling, I still don’t believe that they should be forced into having abortions, or adoptions. They absolutely need to be made aware of their options. They need to be taught how *not * to get pregnant. They need to know that just because teen pregnancy is common, that doesn’t mean it’s cool. They need to know that having & raising kids changes your life for-freaking-ever, not just for a minute or two.

Okay, that was more than two cents. And sorry about the stream-of-consciousness thing, too.

Cristi:
That was very interesting reading…It sounds like you’ve been through the gamut with all of this adoption/abortion/baby business. Whew!!
And I understand that you are soon to give birth to Baby John. I wish you the best for you, Little John, and his Daddy. Let us know when the baby comes. :slight_smile:
-Katy

Okaytym: Thanks! After I let my husband know “it’s time,” I’ll post. :slight_smile:

What a difficult subject. (Opal, I’m sure you expected my response to this much sooner…sorry :slight_smile: )

Forced abortion? Under certain circumstances. If the pregnant girl is under 14 (legal age of consent in most states), most definitely. As has been said, the younger you are, the more risk you take on. Both mom and baby are in danger, and not always because a teenager is less apt to properly take care of herself. It has much to do with the a young body, although able to concieve, not being physically ready to support itself and an additional life. No matter how well mom takes care of herself, she is still in the highest-risk category.

Rather than forcing the girl to have an abortion, though, it may be wiser to take her to speak with nurse-midwife or a doula. They are generally much more personable than OBs, and will be able to explain exactly what health risks she faces is she decides to try to carry the baby to term (no matter what her intentions are afterward). Having been a teenage girl myself, I know that I was far more open to listening to a calm, rational person than my hysterical mother–and more prone to making a good choice.

Beyond the legal age of consent, the choice ultimately has to lie with the person who is pregnant. I think parents would be wise to take such a situation in stride, and discuss the girl’s options (all of them) with her. They should outline in great detail what support they will (or will not) give in any given situation, and let her know exactly how they feel about her capability (or incapability, as the case may be) to be a parent.

Plenty of parents speak openly with their kids about sex and pregnancy prevention. Obviously, some kids still mess up and get pregnant (or get someone pregnant). I don’t think this has demographic limitations. The decision to give your child up for adoption, abort, or raise him/her yourself is a difficult one, no matter how wealthy your family is, no matter how intelligent you are, no matter what your feelings about the baby’s father.

It is an agonizing place to be (and I can only imagine, having never actually been there) and a majority of girls don’t make such decisions lightly. Therefore, even as parents, who are we to question them?

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

ChrisCTP – What states do you live in? AFAIK, the age of consent in the USA is 18, with a few exceptions which I can’t specify without research.

[humor]If it turns out you’re right, I might have to start cruising the middle schools for some legal tail!! “Hey baby, want some candy? I can help you with your homework…”[/humor]

–Da Cap’n

KelliBelli:

Aye, you and me both.

Designated Optional Signature at Bottom of Post

Okaytm:

Such was not my experience when I worked as a nurse trainee, but I’m sure such people do exist. OK, so women like that don’t exactly reassure us that the decision properly remains in the hands of the pregnant. On the other hand, would you want them to reproduce?

Designated Optional Signature at Bottom of Post

Cap’n: Unless changes have been made that I’m not aware of, (and there are provisos and conditions) the legal age of sexual consent is fourteen.

If it were illegal for people under 18 to have sex, we’d probably see a lot of teen girls being fined and put on probation when they turned up pregnant, wouldn’t we?

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

The crime of having sex with a minor (usually called Statutory Rape) is rarely prosecuted because it’s rarely discovered and reported. There have been several cases in the news, though, where a girl (or in some cases a boy) of age 15-17 had consensual sex with a teacher or other adult. When it’s found out, the adult is invariably charged with rape.

The “criminal” in these cases is always the adult, since the law is designed to protect minors. Go ahead – have rag-doll sex with the police chief’s 16-year-old daughter and then tell him about it, maybe show him the video. After he beats the crap out of you, you’ll wind up charged with statutory rape.

When both parties are minors, the male gets charged.

Statutory rape is usually used to add insult to injury, meaning you get caught doing something you both want to do, and society decides you need to pay for it anyway. (Adults shouldn’t be shtupping children, but there are always exceptional cases). It’s like sodomy – “Hmmm, let’s see what we can charge this poor asshole with to make an example of him.”

The crime of having sex with a minor (usually called Statutory Rape) is rarely prosecuted because it’s rarely discovered and reported. There have been several cases in the news, though, where a girl (or in some cases a boy) of age 15-17 had consensual sex with a teacher or other adult. When it’s found out, the adult is invariably charged with rape.

The “criminal” in these cases is always the adult, since the law is designed to protect minors. Go ahead – have rag-doll sex with the police chief’s 16-year-old daughter and then tell him about it, maybe show him the video. After he beats the crap out of you, you’ll wind up charged with statutory rape.

When both parties are minors, the male gets charged.

Statutory rape is usually used to add insult to injury, meaning you get caught doing something you both want to do, and society decides you need to pay for it anyway. (Adults shouldn’t be shtupping children, but there are always exceptional cases). It’s like sodomy – “Hmmm, let’s see what we can charge this poor asshole with to make an example of him.”

–Da Cap’n

14?!? Where? It’s 18 or 16 most places, I believe. I know in AZ they can/have/will prosecute for statutory rape at the parent’s request if an 18 year old boy has sex with his 17-and-a-half year old girlfriend. :stuck_out_tongue:

>^,^<
“Cluemobile? You’ve got a pickup…”
OpalCat’s site: http://opalcat.com
The Teeming Millions Homepage: fathom.org/teemingmillions