Foreign restaurant chains that have made inroads in the US

Yeah there’s about 100 locations all in California, mainly all in Los Angeles. I love their food but am surprised their ubiquity here all their efforts on leaving SoCal have seemingly failed every time.

Are three coffee shops enough to make a chain? As far as I know there’s only a single Meinl café in Austria, so it’s definitely not a chain here.

My mistake.

It looks like Taiwan’s Hot-Star fried chicken has a few locations in the LA area.

Googling, there are a few Costa Coffee locations in the US.

From a quick look at their website, I wouldn’t say that Zambrero is Mexican food – it’s a burrito place. Looks very similar to Chipotle in terms of their offerings.

Yeah, the “sauce” part is the only thing that had me a bit perplexed. Usually it’s salsa that goes on as the final topping, and creamy salsas are less common than the straight up vegetable ones.

Apparently there’s one in Sinaloa somewhere that he founded first, before coming to Los Angeles to start the US chain.

At any rate, El Pollo Loco is one of the less exciting Mexican food type offerings out there. I have to try Pollo Campero one of these days; I used to really like Pollo Regio, but the one near me closed, and the other ones in the area aren’t nearby.

Speaking of foreign chains, Pollo Regio was founded in Monterrey some 20-odd years ago according to their website.

There are a number of Brittania Arms pubs across Northern California (and probably elsewhere), but I dont think they are a chain, or imported from the UK. It’s just a popular name for an English-style pub, i guess.

I was thinking fast food chains, at least, are an exported idea from the US and not so much of an imported thing. So this thread has been good! I will definitely be checking out Jollibee.

Here in Cleveland there is a Dagu Rice Noodle, a Shanghai-based chain specializing in rice noodle soups. It’s pretty good.

I spotted my first Jollibee in London a month or so ago - there was a huge crowd of Asian people outside waiting in line so I didn’t look closer. Presumably that’s a good sign?

Lots of “Joe and the Juice” outlets here already too. And of course tons of Nandos.

The big-name British fish-and-chips restaurant is Harry Ramsden’s. Arthur Treacher’s is entirely a US creation.

Huh, I guess I just assumed it was a chain.

I can’t say I get it. Jollibee’s fried chicken is not bad at all, but it’s not spectacularly good either. I wouldn’t put it ahead of Popeye’s, for example.

As compared to other Mexican restaurants it’s not all that, compared to other ubiquitous drive thru take away food vendors it’s about as healthy as it gets. Baked chicken with a tortilla, no fries or burger buns. I used to swear by them when I lived in NorCal.

The Washington DC area (or the DMV to us locals) is a hotspot for international restaurants. On the top of my head there’s:

Pollo Campero
Jollibee’s
Nando’s
Bonchon
BB.Q Chicken

I sense a trend.

I didn’t realise this was an international chain. I live in a neighbourhood with dozens of Korean restaurants and this one didn’t particularly stick out in my mind.

It’s definitely more healthy than most and there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with El Pollo Loco. But even for a Mexican-style roast chicken, they’re kind of bland. That Pollo Regio chain I mentioned is FAR better in pretty much every respect- better chicken, better salsa, better beans, better rice, better tortillas. I haven’t had Pollo Campero yet, so I can’t really comment.

Yeah, I had assumed it was a local, or maybe a US-only Korean chicken chain. I had no idea it was international.

I believe Palgong Tea started in Korea. It’s another bubble tea place. They just opened a franchised location near me in Michigan. (I give it a year.)

The Taiwanese bubble tea chain Chatime also has locations in the U.S.

We have both in Los Angeles. It amuses me that there’s not just one, but two, international, French-style Korean bakery chains.

We usually go once a week. And if we’re having a fancy party, we’ll buy a cake. They don’t use fondant or other disgusting frostings, but simple whipped cream.