Forgettable "Hit Songs" Shoehorned into Movies

This thread is inspired by the “Movies That Would Have Been Better With No Love Interests” thread.

I read somewhere that Glen Campbell was hideously miscast as La Boeuf in the original (1969) “True Grit” because the producers wanted a “hit song” on the soundtrack. Campbell sings the title song “True Grit”; I know this from looking it up on IMDb, because I can’t remember a note of it. (Fun fact: they offered the role to Bob Dylan for the same reason.)

But dishonorable mention goes to B.J. Thomas’s “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head” from “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” (also 1969). I haven’t re-watched the film, but I remember it as an entertaining but peculiar mix of “jaunty” comedy and grim violence.

I gather that George Roy Hill et al were attempting to produce an appealing gripping Western desperado “action” story with “light-hearted” elements. Casting two charismatic stars was a good start, perhaps, but the insipid Burt Bacharach song feels tacked on at best. Robert Redford reportedly hated it, and I’m with Redford.

I like it and without that we wouldnt have this lovely piece from The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean

How about a forgettable movie which happened to spawn a hit song?

Maybe not what the OP had in mind but you watch “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” and there’s soi much good music. But then there’s “Raised on the Radio” by “The Ravyns” and you think, “How’d that get in there?”

Personally, I liked the parody we sang in 1979 - “Skylab is falling on my head” - but damned if I can remember those lyrics now…

Weel, it’s not as if Butch or Sundance actually sang it in the movie; it was just a background to a montage of random time-killing capers.

I’m trying to think of anachronistic music in a historical setting (where a character plays it) (no, Back to the Future doesn’t count).

Good Morning, Vietnam features a bit. Most notably “What a Wonderful World”.

The song is only off by a couple years though (the movie is set in 1965, the song came out in 1967), and isn’t anachronistic in style, like Raindrops in Butch and Sundance.

Moulin Rouge! was notable for using musical numbers entirely out of its time period.

That’s also a farce in the British style so it should get a pass.

The Austin Powers “Goldmember” movie opens with Britney Spears singing the song “Boys” for no particular reason. The song didn’t even make the Hot 100, peaking at 22 on the “Bubbling Under” chart.

I always yell at the radio, “He’s singing about a friggin’ rat!”

You’re The One That I Want from Grease fits.

My first though was you were talking about this movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unchained_(film)

Well, Mandy was about a dog.

And Born to be Wild was about a Ford Falcon.

Are you thinking about “Shannon”, or are there two canine love songs?

You might be thinking about this: Skylab, Skylab…Sh’dooby (Shattered, not “Raindrops”)

Prepare to get your mind blown

“All For The Love of Sunshine” by Hank Williams Jr. from “Kelly’s Heroes”. Matches the action so well doesn’t it? I’m reading a book about the history of MGM, and MGM Records’ chief Mike Curb stuck this song into the movie without notifying the director.