Formula 1 Thread

A pattern seems to be emerging of RB having good single lap pace but Merc having solid race pace. At least in the hands of Max and Lewis respectively.

Wow, if you thought this race was predictable, then I don’t know WTF you’re looking for in an F1 race. Big crashes? Go watch some NASCAR.

Hamilton won by having superior pitting strategy. I don’t understand why Red Bull didn’t react when Hamilton changed his tire a second time. Did they really think their old tires could outlast a fresh set?

Even in the back, there was some great action. Like when Alonso gathered up a train running behind him. I think he was P10 at the time. You’d think, it’s Spain, that’s what’s going to happen. And then they all started to pass Alonso and each other. Great stuff. Even Mazepin didn’t mess up this time.

The Good Old Days of Prost V. Senna, Goodyear V. Whoever, random breakdowns, no bullshit DRS, cars that actually look slightly different from each other. And Ferrari winning.

You know, excitement!

Monaco! Now that was a boring race, even for Monaco. It still managed to shake up the standings.

It’s the best track. Qualifying was great! But, yeah, the race was meh. But the championship got really interesting.

Though I must note that even a meh f1 race is better than most other things.

The woman looked a bit awkward and uncomfortable waving the checkered flag. A bit surprised at that, considering it was Serena Williams. At least she waved it on the correct lap.

Maybe it was the camera angle, but Max looked tiny standing next to her

Most F1 drivers are tiny. Or at least super skinny.

There was actually only one piece of wheel-to-wheel on-track action: Vettel emerging from the pits only just in front of Gasly and Hamilton. And the TV director decides to cut away from it to show a replay of Stroll driving clumsily around a corner. Oh my!

Well, actually there also was Schumacher’s overtake on Mazepin at the end if the field.

Monaco is usually a bore fest. If i had to miss one race in the season it’d be that one

But c’mon that was one of the more fun Monaco races in a while. Poor Bottas. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen before. And Merc really screwed up the undertaking strategy. Would have been interesting to see that Leclerc would have done, but his absence made the start pretty fun (Max was perfect to get out in front of Bottas - imagine if Bottas was leading when his tire wouldn’t come off).

Oh and Bottas’ tire is apparently still on the car. They can’t take it off until they get to the factory. Probably replace the axle at this point.

And we have a new leader in the WDC!

Not only that, but they never went back and showed the replay of the Vettel move they’d cut away from - just a different shot of Vettel leading Gasly leading Hamilton later on the same lap. I had to go to Hamilton’s in-car cam on F1TV to see it.

To me it looked like Gasly backed out of the move too early, possibly because AT have scored very few points despite having a quick car and he’s been told to nurse it.

Even worse. They actually started to show the replay of the Vettel-Gasly-Hamilton situation and then cut away to show Perez’s pit stop. :confounded:

Apparently the Monaco GP was not produced by F1, unlike most races, but rather by French broadcaster TMC.

Apparently there aren’t many IndyCar fans here on the SDMB, since no one has posted about the 500, so I thought I might as well mention here that I’m really pleased with the outcome of today’s race.

Blurring in case you haven’t heard: Helio Castroneves has joined A.J. Foyt, Al Unser, and Rick Mears as a four-time winner of the Indianapolis 500! The post-race celebrations were momentous.

Everyone ready for Baku? Another street circuit, but far more interesting than Monaco IMHO.

Looks like it could be another difficult weekend for the Mercs. Baku is a lovely circuit but needs a safety car or two to make it good.

Well, that was good.

Is it fair to say that the loser in Baku was Pirelli?

Tire drama! That was certainly unexpected. Are Pirelli still blaming track debris for their failure?

Seems so, yes…

Exciting race even before the late blowouts tho.