Formula 1 Thread

Who do you think is quicker out of Russell and Norris? I’d say the latter, but it’s based on nothing more than gut feeling (and I’m biased because Norris is from my hometown). I’m only a casual fan and haven’t looked at their laptimes vs team-mates, etc.

There’s not a lot of ways to compare them. Russell comfortably beat Norris (1st vs 2nd, respectively) in the 2018 F2 championship, but I don’t know anything else about that season. Prior to that they were in different feeder series, and after that they were both in F1 with very different cars and VERY different qualities of teammates. Russell has absolutely dominated Latifi but Latifi is a pay driver without much clout, whereas Norris has performed somewhat on par with Sainz, who is good enough to be going to Ferrari next year.

Interesting, thanks. I see F2 teams all use the same engine, chassis, and tyres - so it seems fair to say Russell was the faster driver in 2018. I wonder if the step up to F1 has changed that, maybe we will find out one day.

I’m excited to see Russell getting his chance in the Marc although it will be very tough to jump into a car and immediately be quick. I wonder if he’ll get two races as well as Hamilton might be forced to isolate for a while?

I hope he gets better. It would suck to have him tie another F1 record that is out there.

I think the final race is in Abu Dhabi only a week after this weekend’s race. The UAE has quite strict rules about entrants to the country who have had to isolate due to a positive test so Hamilton might need a special exemption to race. So very possible Russell gets two weekends in the Merc.

Assuming you are referring to Jochen Rindt, I suppose it would technically tie the record, but the circumstances would be quite different. As I’m sure you know, at the time of Rindt’s death it was still possible for him to be overtaken in the standings over the remaining races, which isn’t the case here.

Yep. That is a record that can be tied, but never beaten. You say you are a ‘casual fan’, huh?

I probably know more (relatively) about history/records than current drivers. I reckon I watched more races during the 90s than in the last 20 years. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I watched a race live from start to finish. Partly because most of them aren’t screened free-to-air in the UK any more.

I find this situation with Russell to be a bizarre twist of fate. He’s been an ongoing joke among my friends and I, as the guy who you always forget is even there - perpetually finishing last or close to it, we’ve questioned whether George Russell is even a real person, or an experimental self-driving Formula 1 car. I don’t mean to slag him off too much because I realize he’s a developing talent and there always has to be a guy like this on the grid, it’s just funny to me that he’s now filling in for Lewis Hamilton which is kind of like the drummer from the opening act filling in for John Bonham.

That’s pretty harsh and not in line with the opinion of those in the know. He is seen as an excellent prospect and talanted guy. He has been hamstrung by a sub-par car but his relative performance is certainly noticed.
I’m glad he has an opportunity, such things are careers made of. The only slight worry may be that the race this weekend is something of an anomoly. Basically an oval and it could be so unrepresentative as to negate the qualitites of the merc. I don’t think it will but you never know. I hope he does well though.

Exactly so. The guy has been making it to Q2 in a Williams car is nothing short of astounding. It’s like how Charles Leclerc didn’t exactly do very well in a Sauber (due to the car) before his elevation.

He’s in the Mercedes driving program and has out-qualified his team-mate in every race he’s ever entered - 36 overall which is a record (some no mark called Schumacher held the previous record). The boy could have a big future. That qualifying record might well not last for many more days though!

Correction: I read that wrong, Schumacher holds the record at 56!!!

Ouch! Over on this side, I can’t seem to find any coverage of WRC, so I feel your pain.

No, No, believe me, I love the guy, I think it’s great that he’s getting a chance to shine. OBVIOUSLY he’s a back-of-the-packer because of his car and not his driving. That shouldn’t need to be said. It’s just the reality of the situation that he’s relegated to being a C-list name at the current time. He’s paying his dues. That’s just how it’s done.

Yes, this is why I think it would be good if Russell could get the final two races in the merc. I’m not a huge fan of the Yas marina circuit, but it should give him a chance to show his stuff on a traditional track.

Fair enough, can’t argue with that. It is a sport where your impact and potential may not always translate into immediate and obvious success.

Two practice sessions and Russell tops the times in both. New car, new circuit and fastest of everyone. Can’t ask for much more.

Yep. Lookie that…

Well that was thrilling stuff! Congratulations to Perez!! Viva Mexico! Tears after the win and well done! Especially as he’s fighting for a seat next year.

Terrible luck for Russell who was really good today. He definitely didn’t have Hamilton’s luck.