Fox News

For reasons I’m not completely sure about myself, I find myself watching a lot of Fox News these days. It sort of started as an experiment and now I find myself becoming strangely addicted to it.

Here are some of my observations and questions.

The anchors miss their camera more than any other news team I’ve ever seen. Why does this happen?

Is it just me, or does the hatred that Bill Hemmer and Tucker Carlson both feel for the president just sort of emanate like an aura around their heads?

This morning, one of the anchors claimed Ron Fournier as a non partisan source. I’m not sure I agree with that opinion. Am I wrong?

They talk about Obamacare. A lot. Like a lot a lot.

Elizabeth Hasselbeck.

I find Huckabee odd. Does he really play the guitar? I don’t know why this question occurred to me when I watched him playing.

I can’t bring myself to actually watch Hannity or O’Reilly yet.

The following statement is a unified collection of my knowledge about said station:
I think Hukabee (sp?) is a bass player.

I suspect your creeping fondness for Fox News arises from its entertainment value, especially the adrenaline rush you get from all the Recreational Outrage that their antics engender.

O’Reilly actually, surprisingly, has the capacity to be almost civil, cogent, and make borderline reasonable (but still quite conservative) arguments, somewhat like George Will. He rarely chooses to exercise this power, though. Being flamboyantly obnoxious can only be better for ratings (as with most everyone else on Fox).

He also writes newspaper op-ed columns (or at least he used to, some years ago). I haven’t seen one for a long time. Does he still do that? His columns, like his TV appearances, were almost always flamboyantly odious, most often flaming into his one of his favorite targets, the ACLU.

But occasionally he wrote a decent column. During the 2004 election cycle, he wrote an excellent column in which he lamented and lambasted how awful, banal, and mendacious the election campaigning has become, with roughly equal opprobrium directed at various candidates of both parties.

He even concluded one of the paragraphs with that rarest of all things for O’Reilly to say: A compliment for a certain Democrat (!) of an earlier era: “Where is Harry Truman when we need him?”

Have you read “Lies and the Lying Liars That Tell Them” by Al Franken? He has some choice words for O’Reilly therein.

Hannity, however, is just a downright outright forthright evil, obnoxious, mendacious propaganda-spewing arsehole without a redeeming molecule in his rotten corpse.

“not what you’d expect”, more like “exactly what I’d expect”

The Bat and The Ghoul are best watched only on Halloween night after a SAW marathon.

I pity that damned fish… :frowning:

Yes, Mike Huckabee really plays bass guitar.

He plays in a band, Capitol Offense.

I don’t have an answer, but I’ve noticed this a lot, too. Plus, they must have a lot of teleprompter problems, because the anchors frequently end up staring into the camera in total silence, waiting for their cue. I once even saw one of them look down and start shuffling the papers on his desk because it was taking so long to get the prompter going.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, but the whole network is shockingly bad in terms of production. My rinky-dink local newscast runs more smoothly and looks much better.

Wait, they use teleprompters? Wasn’t that something they were ridiculing Obama for not too long ago? (As if they hadn’t been used by every president since at least Reagan.)

Another observation. Apparently, if you are female, you are required to be blonde.

Probably because it make it easier to see if they’re airheads (natural or artificial).