Franchisers, the lowest of the low. (Long)

:face_holding_back_tears:

Awww, thank you for that.

Have no idea how many SDMB threads have inspired a business and a book, but there is now at least one, lol.

Would say, if the Chicago Reader would composite a hard-cover SDMB ‘coffee table’ book of our top-100 posts (let’s not quibble over this top-100) and sold that shit for $50, $100, I would definitely buy one… especially if I’m mentioned.

Good for you, great idea. I think it needs a catchier title though, maybe along the lines of “The Franchise Trap (and how to avoid it)”.

My goal is to have the phrase “Franchise Disclosure Document” in big letters, ala how this book uses “Cold Calling Techniques”:

Inna suggested “Guide to…”, which also works better than my original title. No big deal, we will workshop it some more, and I appreciate the advice, my friend.

Got a mockup of the cover… I have my thoughts (it’s 80% there) and am interested in yours:

Imgur

Will let y’all know what I think - right now it’s 230am Ukraine time and we need to disembark from this bloody train.

Right off the bat? Get some gender and ethnic diversity in the illustration of that business handshake. And then a differently diverse handshake on the back cover.

The handshake image is powerful, a picture worth a thousand words, now extend that power with diversity and inclusion.

The potential buyers that are white, male, upper corporate class enough to be wearing suits, french cuffs and cuff links like that have obviously already figured out how to avoid the pitfalls of franchise agreements.

This was my first thought… in addition, looks like the guy is shaking hands with himself, lol.

My daughter sez:

“i think it’s a little intense. intense as in a little isolating. the harsh red background, the blue letters, the cold contrast of the image-i would use the word intimidating. sometimes that can be good especially considering the field you’re in, but i think it would psychologically push potential readers away… if i saw this on the shelf i would think a republican economist wrote it because of the coloring and the intensity!!”

The Force Is Strong With This One.

Go to a library and look at Warren Buffett’s and Charlie Munger’s books: follow that.

But it’s so American! Red, white guys, and blue!

Part of me likes the cover but the more I stare at it, the more it feels like it could be a 50 Shades book, as dramatic as it is.

I like some of these.

I think these are nice templates.

I agree.

Thanks for doing the work-I still can’t master posting images here, which sadly is depriving all of you of photos of my gorgeous Siamese overlord.

Or, shudder and grimace, The Handmaid’s Tale.

A subtitle would be nice below the hands.

“Your Guide For Evaluating Buying a Franchise”

Something better than that but you get the idea.

Somehow make it clear that this book is for newbies. It feels a bit complex as is.

I’m not sure what “Don’t buy a job” means. Don’t franchise owners expect to buy a working business that they’ll be working at, aka a job? If I’m not sure, then other readers may not be sure.

I’m pretty sure the idea of owning a franchise is so that you hire people to do the work and make money for you.

“DBaJ” was the tagline to my podcast. The meaning is simply that you should buy a business, an investment… but too many franchise owners have found that they used their life savings to buy a job managing someone else’s business.

Snap On Tools is a prime example. It is almost impossible to expand to more than one location because the SOT contract requires you, the signer, to run the sales route. There is almost no ability to grow your business beyond your 200 assigned stops because you’re too busy selling tools.

I talk about this in the book - there are, iirc, 127 Snap On Tools franchisees in the state of Florida and 126 of them own, and work, just a single van. That’s not a business investment, that’s spending $300,000 to be a high-pressure tool salesperson, one who assumes their client’s credit risk*.

That is “buying a job”.

To the point, it may be a good headline for the back of the book. I think having it on the cover makes it (the cover) pretty congested.

*Yes, you read that right. If you buy tools from your SOT person on credit, the SOT rep is the one who is at risk if you default on your debt, not SOT corporate.

This is really good!

And isn’t that just a perfect illustration of white male privilege and cronyism in the business world? I’ll write a book on it. I’ll call it Shaking Hands with Yourself.

ETA: I already have a sequel in mind" Shaking Hands with Yourself: And Other Upstanding White Christian Men.

People will assume it’s about jerking off…

Affirmative.

(I only wanted to write ‘Yes’ but you know how Discourse can be)