Fred Phelps is dead.

Link from the CBC.

TMZ has a nice little thing on him

In case that gets changed or for those that don’t want to click on the link, it’s nothing more then a TMZ page with a headline that says that Fred Phelps is dead and video of Celebration by Kool & The Gang

If this is out of line, mods, I am very, very sorry.

But good fucking riddance to bad rubbish.

More of the group have been leaving, most recently Shirley’s two daughters. With any luck, this will help finish the group off.

The universe just got a tiny bit less sucky.

God must have killed him for being too soft on gays.

I wonder if WBC will protest at his funeral.

I guess God hates Phelps.

I heard somewhere (heard, not read, so I don’t have a cite and what I heard may not be true of course) that his family actually had the audacity to say they want the funeral to be a private matter.

Either that wasn’t really said or (if it was) they’re massively trolling us (which is what they usually do every other time, I think).

Out-fuggin’-standing. I don’t have a lot of use for TMZ’s brand of celeb obsession, but this entry redeems their occasional excesses. One of the editors must have looked up “subtle” in wikiwords. :smiley:

On the one hand, my first thought is “and STAY down, you redneck bastard.” On the other hand, I do grieve - it really is a shame that a guy with so much obvious ability would use it in such shameful ways. It really is an object lesson for all of us - Fred Phelps’ life is a great example of what not to do.

What ability is that?

To be a self-aggrandizing media whore with a willingness to do anything for attention and outrage. When you give the likes of Lady Gaga and Lindsay Lohan a bad name, you really need to take your life in review.

Stranger

Oh, yeah, if only he’d used those powers for good. Like, um, some noble media whore whose name I can’t think of. At least Lady Gaga can sing.

CNN.com’s coverage: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/us/westboro-church-founder-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Clarence Darrow is said to have once remarked, “I never wished anyone dead, but I’ve read some obituaries with a great deal of satisfaction.”

Organizing, promotion, personal energy. Wouldn’t you like to have a guy as dedicated as Fred Phelps working for a good cause?

e.g. What if Hitler focused on being a painter instead of a genocidal dictator.

Stranger

Only lawyers, priests and philosophy majors can split hairs that finely. :smiley:

I don’t think he had any cause other than himself, and he didn’t build anything. He has a pariah church of around 40 people, most of whom are his psychologically abused relatives, and in the end they kicked him out - and I read that his daughters are now out of power, too, which serves them all right. And there’s already a WBC splinter faction. So as tiny as it is, it’ll still probably collapse further. Having energy is a good thing, but he didn’t have energy so much as he had hateful egomania.

Another one bites the dust.

We got to Hitler in only 16 posts; not a record, but admirable nonetheless.