Fred Phelps is dead.

I would have thought that Fred going to hell was an astute career move.

I thought the OP’s article was from the cDc and figured they were treating him like the removal of a plague or something.

No funeral!

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/251212461.html

Don’t Call Me Shirley:

Musicat:

What an interesting thing to say about a guy who lived into his 80’s. I get where it’s coming from (his anti-gay slogans), but no one lives forever, and I can’t see an octogenarian’s death as being indicative of any divine attitude toward him. If anything, his long life would argue for the opposite position.

As other people have pointed out, he lived long enough to see sweeping and amazing successes for gay rights and was also thrown out of his own church. Funny thing about living a long time: sometimes there’s a big twist at the end!

Somewhere out there, there is a funeral home handling his arrangements.
I’m sure one embalmer just turned to another and said, “I guess he really wasn’t full of shit. Here’s your $20…”

*Poor Fred is dead
Poor Fred Phelps is dead
All gather round his coffin now and cry…

He loved the birds of the forest
And the bees of the field
He loved the mice and the vermin in the barn
And he treated the rats like equals, which he knew was right!
And he loved the little children
He loved everybody and everything in the world
Only he never let on, so nobody ever noticed*

with apologies to Rodgers and Hammerstein.

IIRC, they recently started claiming the church as a whole doesn’t believe in funerals and memorials, so they may not have much of anything. I’ll see if I can dig up a cite.

Found it:

From the end of the CNN article I linked to in post 14:

…Shirley Phelps-Roper, Phelps’ daughter, said Westboro will not hold a funeral. “We do not worship the dead,” Phelps-Roper told CNN.

Excellent quote and perfect for this situation.

As has been posted in another thread he was a strong proponent of civil rights in the sixties. What turned him into the bigot that he became?

No fags in Heaven.

But do they allow E-Cigarettes up there?

We don’t know that he was really a proponent of civil rights. We know that he was a civil rights attorney for a time, but he may have just found it a profitable industry to work in in its early days.

I keep hearing “ding dong the witch is dead”

Quoted for truth.

Good riddance.

You may well be right, I don’t claim any expertise in 1960’s American (what we call in the UK) Legal Aid. It may well have been a lucrative source of income for at the time, but it doesn’t really pan out with the character he became.
I’ve read that he was disbarred in the Seventies. Was that the tipping point?

God hates fags.

But He’ll smoke the occasional cigar…

The world is a better place without him.

I would post in this thread but it would give whatshisname and his family too much satisfaction. If he passed on without a single word said it would be the most profound, deserved and pointed put down he and his family could receive.

Of course, as my post demonstrates, that is never going to happen.

I was hearing Lily Allen’s Fuck You. Not an exact match, but the theme fits.

No funeral? So what are they going to do, plant him out back in the middle of the night, or send him off to be cremated, The. End.?

How did he get kicked out of his very own church, anyway? Did the members take a vote and say, enough is enough, you’re banished? Why? and why did they do this when they did, instead of years ago? What’s going to happen to the church now?

I’m glad the old ding-dong’s dead. And I’m sorry for the people he hurt. But in the end, his existence probably (and ironically) did more to advanced the pro-gay movement than many pro-gay activists. ‘Cause even gay-haters think the Phelpses are nuckin’ futs.