Free electricity from air

Some scientists claim they can harvest electricity from humid air:

The idea is to have a material that has zillions of nano-pores of less than 100 nm across. The article doesn’t say it, but one side of the material needs to be a sealed enclosure. The electricity is harvested from water molecules that hit the outside before going through the pore, leaving their charge on that side. So there’s a charge separation which can be harvested.

OK, sounds good, but they need to build a prototype to be more convincing.

It’s a question of how much energy you can get from a given area of material - I suspect it might not be much. If so, and you need acres of material to get appreciable power, it might have no overall advantages to other sources like solar.

I suspect you’re right. The article I posted says you could stack lots of them to increase the power. The question is how closely they can be stacked. Will they need a positive airflow, i.e. a fan? Until someone builds a prototype, they probably won’t know.

I read the article, but am still confused about something: where is the energy coming from? Energy is conserved, after all.

Yeah, you’d need something like a gigantic nuclear furnace in the sky constantly pouring energy into the system for it to work.

(I don’t actually know if this idea is viable, but Earth is not a closed system.)

If you’re harvesting energy from water vapor, then it (and the air around it) must cool down. The ultimate source of energy is whatever created the water vapor in the first place. For ambient air, that’s the sun.

Summoning @Stranger_On_A_Train

They invented Star Wars-style moisture farms?

The catch is that you have to go to Toshi Station to get the power converters…

Wait, can’t we get free electricity from the air by installing giant balloons over sidewalks and harvesting the static electricity from people with lots of hair?

Imagine all the potato electricity wasted by not powering clocks. Trees have been tapped to produce a little voltage, and potentially whole forests could power a couple of street lights or something.

The wonderful things about nano-pores less than 100 nm is that you can stack ten million of them in a meter.

Ten million of anything is a lot! If you need more power just stack another 10 million 110 nm away! Guaranteed success!

Yeah, but how do you make 100 nm holes? I don’t think they make drill presses that small.

ETA: Also, how many would it take to fill the Albert Hall?

I would pay to see the Albert Hall filled with nano-pores!

PM for your unique opportunity to purchase a ticket!

They’ll get right on that as soon as they get rid of the holes from Blackburn, Lancashire.

And how much electricity did you have to use up drilling all those millions of 100 nm holes? Your return on electrical investment might need decades to break even!

You don’t drill the holes. You genetically engineer bacteria that will eat through the substrate. Easy peasy.

No, you don’t understand. The holes are already there. All you have to do is grow the material around them. :nerd_face:

Where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees?

free electricity from air … that’s an old story …

the air just needs to move in a direction …