Free mandatory universal education is self-defeating

Really? That’s the goal of our education system now? No wonder America does so poorly against nations that treat their educational system as being about education instead of indoctrination.
As for the OP, I’m of two minds on this. On one hand, I attended a high school that had multiple housing projects feeding into it, ‘minorities’ were the distinct majority with all the stereotypes of minority dominated school in full display. I would have dearly loved to see half the students kicked out. It would have meant the other half could learn something for a change, or at the very last not have to go through metal detectors. So based on personal experience, I agree strongly.

OTOH, when a kid leaves school at 14, what’s going to happen to him? He’s going to remain part of the poor class, he’s going to have difficulty finding a job, he probably won’t keep a job since he’s already shown he doesn’t have a sense of responsibility. We would be, basically, just shoving the problem from schools to the streets. Which is no solution at all.

So I don’t know the answer. I do know what we’re doing now, and have done for decades, doesn’t work well. We need to change something. The problem is complex enough that I have no idea of what though.