Free PC game and free weekend notification thread

Ah thanks, I’ve got cookie clicker sitting somewhere, not sure if I’m market for another such game.

And the apparent grandfather of the genre:

Sort of, I played that one back in the day. The difference is that a modern idle game has more interaction. Your character or whatever will do it’s own thing when you’re not guiding it, but you can go in and take control whenever. Progress Quest was totally automated, you couldn’t do anything except check your progress now and then.

Modern idle games more closely resemble the Sims games, where if you aren’t directly telling your Sims what to do, they just do things on their own based on their needs and wants, like watching TV or making lunch or taking a nap. But at any time you can intervene and take direct control. The main difference is that in an idle game, progress continues when you’re not playing. (In that sense they are like Progress Quest.)

The appeal to a lot of people is that you can devote as little or as much time as you want and still succeed. I just find the lack of challenge in them to be boring. It’s all subjective.

Progress Quest to me wasn’t a game. It was a curiosity or experiment. It was fun for what it was, and funny. And pretty innovative at the time.

I remember back in the day there used to be programs you could download that let you play Roguelike games in “sea monkey” mode. It was a crude AI that would play the game for you. That was a precursor to Progress Quest, where you made a character and then sat back and watched and waited to see what would happen.

oh my god, i remember that being really popular … .it was a hoot to sit and watch because of the parodies …

ok how the ad&D game works is its sort of a hack and slash game … the game will play itself but the story won’t advance because every 5 or 6 screens there will be a boss fight you have to help with the game will get to the boss fight and then re-loop

Also, you’ll do more damage if you tap the enemies and such but year it’s just the tap version of an golden axe with ad&d mechanics really

Tennenberg (WWI) is free on Epic this week, and some sort of additional content to a free to play RPG shopkeeper simulator, if you want to go looking… I don’t regard it as a “free game”.

Tannenberg looks cool, don’t see many WW1 shooter games. It would be hard to compete with Battlefield 1, but Tannenberg supports bots and has Very Positive reviews on Steam.

An old game called Necrovision seemed to be a 3d shooter based on WWI and zombies or something, I have it, and it didn’t work for a while, and I changed PC and perhaps it started to work then I think I got annoyed with it. It’s ancient, looks dated for 2009 when it was released.

oh wow the shop looks like the old swords and potions game that started out on Kongregate and has been through a few iterations as various entities have owned it

Not particularly thrilled by the Lawn mowing simulator free on Epic this week.

If I had a 13 year old son I’d get it then make him play it at 9 AM every Saturday morning.

Its August and the Amazon Prime Gaming games are there: Starcraft: remastered, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Family Mysteries: Poisonous Promises, Beasts of Maravilla Island, Recompile and ScourgeBringer are free for Prime members.

Only other thing of interest in there is a free 1 week subscription to Ubisoft+. I’m not sure what I’d want to play on there, frankly, which I’d be done with in a week.

For Ubisoft, Steep is pretty fun. Not sure if that comes with the subscription, though.

Steep seems to be in there. Quick surprised by how many of the 100 games are ancient, Beyond Good and Evils, Prince of Persias, has there been a recent Splinter Cell game? They’ve got loads of those.

yes the one multiplayer one although i think the rainbow six monikers has taken over … my nephew whos 22 still plays one that came out when he was 10 because they still update it

To be clear, I don’t think the “game” part of Steep is good, I just like zooming down the mountain. I only played enough to unlock some starting points higher up the mountain, then abandoned the game mechanics entirely. I don’t care about doing tricks or leveling up or anything. Just zooming. For me the game is trying to find fun starting spots.

Here’s a 90-second video that I apparently made last year:

Well-suited for a free week trial just to goof around a bit.

Unrailed is free on Epic games this week though I had to do a bot check before they let me buy it… That was new.

is it me or are some of these free indie games’ listed prices rather optimistic?

Despotism 3K is free to nab on Steam until the 11th. Play as a malevolent AI running a human farm.

I grabbed it. It looks amusing. “Run your own version of The Matrix!”

It seems intriguing but I can’t figure out how to make it 25 days in the first mission. I can barely last a week, if that. It doesn’t really make sense to me yet; I’m not able to recognize the results of my decisions.