French Film "Chacun Cherche son Chat" (American Release Title: "When the Cat's Away")

Chacun Cherche Son Chat, a comedy from 1996 that I remember LOVING when it was first released.

I looked for it on DVD years ago (I was reminded of it when the same director made L’Auberge Espagnole in 2002- also a good movie). It seems it’s only ever been available as a Region 2 DVD, no luck for me. Seems I could get a used VHS if I decide someday I must have it.

I saw this movie at least twice in the theater, maybe three times. It was also a favorite among friends. I haven’t seen it since it was first released. It’s possible it might not live up to the memory, maybe I would be disappointed if I saw it again.

Still, I remember laughing out loud so much when I saw it in the theater.

Anybody else know this one?
Link to Trailer (VIDEO LINK be prepared for audio)

I remember being very impressed with it when it was released in the U.S. in 1997 and thinking that it was one of the best films of the year, but I haven’t seen it since then.

I really enjoyed L’Auberge Espagnole and am glad to find out about this - thanks.

Ah, but are you ever going to be able to get your hands on a copy?

I bought one at Barnes & Noble a year or so ago (L’ Auberge Espagnole) and I think it’s been on ifc.

Yep, L’ Auberge Espagnole is readily available on DVD. It’s not part of my DVD library, but I did quite enjoy the film and may very well pick up a copy sooner or later. Chacun Cherche son Chat, however, is not available (as Region 1, anyway).

This was the very first movie I reviewed when I was working at my college newspaper! I definitely enjoyed it - looking back on it now, it kind of reminds me of Amelie.

I reviewed it too. The (extremely) short vacation scene was one of my favorite parts. Another was the two old ladies singing together.