friend failed the friend test

Yes I was sort of blown away by this as well. I’m 28 and I can barely remeber to pay my phonebill.

I guess I failed to mention that this test wasn’t my idea. I was just sitting there, while she started bad mouthing me. and yes I would expect someone to defend if another put me down because I would do it too.

yes, i am 23 and i do own my own house. 100 % paid for. I guess you are right, it is immature. but, it wasn’t actually my idea. I was just sitting there. Lisa is a bit of a prankster. I really regret posting here because everyone on this board has been nothing but overly critical. very few of you have been objective.

Apparently being a home-owner is no guarantee of maturity. You asked for opinions and then pouted when the majority of people told you what they thought. There are a lot of people who don’t speak up even when they disagree with something said. And even if your friend thought of the “game”, you played along. My opinion is that you don’t deserve her friendship, whether you have it or not.

StG

I think it’s objectively a stupid thing to do, and that you shouldn’t associate with a bunch of manipulative backstabbers.

Objective enough for ya?

secretkeeper

Let me try to be a bit objective, both about the OP and why people have been coming across as “overly critical.” OP first.

I was in a slightly similar situation once where a female friend of mine was complaining to a group of women about someone who had broken up with her once. She kept it vague enough and I’m slow enough on the uptake that it wasn’t a few hours later that I realized that the gentleman in question was a good friend of mine and there was more to the story than what she said (isn’t there always? :rolleyes: ) Now this was a rather acrimonious breakup, with both sides guilty of bad behaviour, but I was trying to keep my respect for both of them. What I did was take her aside later, in private, and tell her that I was aware of what she was doing, and, while she was welcome to her own opinions, I would not stand for her bad-mouthing my friend in front of me. She has tried it once or twice since, and I have refused to put up with it, even walking away on one occaision.

It’s up to you to decide what you’re willing to tolerate, but you do have to make that clear. Me, I’m almost hopelessly blunt and direct, and I don’t like people playing games because, quite frankly, it confuses me. I don’t really understand the sort of friendship you’ve described or the way the relationships work, but they’re probably a lot more conventional than the ones I have, and, if it works for you, that’s your privilege. I’ve certainly read stranger things on this board!

That brings us (ok, me) to why people may seem to be jumping on you. I’d be willing to bet that I’m not the only one around here who’s rather scared by what you’ve described. Although it may not show up in this post, I am female, and I remember what to me were the hopelessly confusing ways women got along (and not just in high school, ladies) where they would say nice things to your face and be cruel behind your back. I don’t understand the game of “One day I like you; one day I don’t,” nor do I think I want to. For better or worse, this board is its own game with its own rules. People here (and I realize I’m generalizing the daylights out of this) tend to be pretty open and direct. If they don’t understand something, they ask. If they dislike something, they say so, but they also admit to a willingness to try to understand. The situation you described comes across as less than honest.

Oh yes, I’ve said the same thing often enough to an 18 year old friend of mine, but capitalization really does help. Have mercy on us old farts with bad eyesight and short attention spans! :slight_smile:

Hope this helps, and good luck,
CJ

Could you guys tone it down a notch?

Sure, it’s a bit immature. Is that a reason for a complete dogpile?
What a way to welcome someone aboard.

Ah Coldy.

I’m sorry if I seemed negative, secretkeeper. I’m not being critical of you, but of your “friends.”

After reading through the responses, I bet I’ve spotted a trend. Are the people who didn’t “get” the OP all male?
I have a feeling that this friendship test is a female thing. I knew exactly what she was talking about after quickly reading the OP, once.

Funny, but there was an article on ABCnews about this just this morning.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/GoodMorningAmerica/GMA020509Queen_bees_feature.html

I have to agree with Canthearya about Lisa.
She sounds like bad news waiting to happen.

secretkeeper78 , do not play these kinds of games and if a friend of yours suggests something so stupid, you should have the courage to put an end to it. Regardless, of who suggested the game, you acted immaturely and you continue to act immaturely by pretending to be a friend to someone that you don’t value.

Peppermint Patty: “Do you know anything about love, Chuck?”

Charlie Brown: “Probably not.”

PP: “Well, if A likes B, but B likes C who likes D and E who both like A who doesn’t even know that D exists, should F try to have G talk to B so E will know that C likes D and E, and that C will pound H if she comes around again butting in?”

CB: “May I think about that for a minute?”

PP: “Sure, Chuck…In the meantime, here’s another one…Say a person has kind of a big nose, and another person calls her ‘Baseball Nose’, and tells her not to go near the ballpark 'cause someone might autograph her nose, should she be offended?”

CB: “G shouldn’t get involved, and an autograph on a nose would probably wash off.”

PP: “You don’t know anything about love, Chuck!”

CB: “Probably not…”