Fringe April 15

I’m going to try to start a Fringe thread for tonight’s episode. Trouble is, I don’t have a lot to say except that used time travel in a very interesting way. I liked it. John Noble continues to excel as Walter, but everybody was good.

I liked this episode because now I can say that Fringe is the second best J.J. Abrams show involving parallel universes and time travel.

What was the significance of the rose that the guy sent to Walter? I must have miss that part of their conversation.

Walter told the time travelling dude his whole story about Peter being a “fake” son. He wanted a sign from God, when he was telling him about his “faith” conversion after doing his alt-universe thing, and wanted God to give him a sign, a white tulip.

And the time travelling dude gave him his sign from God.

Or something along those lines, someone can give a better recap, i know that much.

It was good seeing Peter Weller again, he and John Noble worked well together.

One thing bothered me;

if he went back in time and died in the car accident, what happened to the original person from the timeline? Did they establish that by going back in time you replace yourself? Or is this just a loophole the writer chose to ignore? I enjoyed how there he wasn’t an evil killer and made everything right by the end.

Just to clarify in case enalzi missed it: By the end, neither Walter nor anyone else had any memory of the time traveler or any of the events in this episode. So when Walter received the tulip drawing, he had no idea who sent it (other than, perhaps, “God”).

He said that he spent the whole day in that field, looking at the balloon. So if he was in the field when his future self showed up, then he turned into an Energizer battery for the time travel energy requirements. (Probably didn’t do the folks in the balloon any good either). Of course, if the original was killed, then he’d never invent time travel, so would never come back in time and kill himself. Nor would he have the envelope to send to Bishop. I guess the time traveler must be insulated from paradoxes.

All time travelers are insulated from paradoxes - hasn’t that been well-established already? :slight_smile:

I really enjoyed last night’s episode; John Noble continues to be just about the best thing on television. I loved Walter and Astro having a “Radar” moment. :smiley: (I also love the way Walter calls her whatever is closest to Astrid and comes to mind at the moment.) There were a few niggling bothersome thoughts about time travel and paradoxes and such, but as far as tv sci fi dealing with time travel, I thought they did a nice job. Walter’s talk with Alistair Peck (Peter Weller’s character) was also excellent - I can’t believe Alistair going back to die with his fiancée instead of bringing her back to life never occurred to me or Walter; it tied everything up so nicely.

And how creepy was Dr. Peck having everything embedded in his own body?

ETA: Just to make sure I understand this, Walter understood everything he read in Dr. Peck’s writings, right? He just pretended not to?

I think the way it works is that as he goes back in time, he inhabits his past self, so that his current consciousness replaces the one from that moment in time. That’s why he kept going back to that same spot on the train over and over.

So I was falling in and out of sleep when I saw the episode and I didn’t have the heart to make my friend play it again. Why was he unable to save his wife initially, but later able to get into her car, but then decided not to save her?

Initially he couldn’t figure out how to travel backward more than 12 hours, but then Walter helped him with the equation so that he could.

I don’t know why he didn’t save her; maybe Walter’s speech convinced him.

Hard to say since we couldn’t see whether or not he had the devices under his flesh in the distant past.

I think you’re right about his current consciousness taking over his past self - it would explain how he was able to say to the panhandling kid, “Sorry you have to go through this all over again.”

I think he was aware that there would be consequences to saving her, like the people who would die. He also regretted not being with her as he should have been. By going back and dying with her all those people didn’t die because he didn’t time travel.

I agree. IIRC, when he is first confronted about the dead people on the train, he says to Olivia something to the effect of “they’re dead, but not permanently.”

I disagree. Peck had the loss of life covered: because he was alone out standing in his field, the only deaths would be of nearby plant life, which we saw as the brown circle that accompanied his arrival. It was Walter’s testimony about the unintended *personal *consequences of carrying the secret for the rest of one’s life. Besides, Peck realized it was most important that their last words to each other be, not the petty argument they had, but “I love you.”

Also, when Walter spoke of God, Peck replied that science is the only god we have or need. By sending Walter the white tulip, he seems to have verified both views.

…sorry to bump this, but this episode just screened here in NZ. (TVNZ, our local broadcaster, has treated Fringe terribly. So far this season they have skipped two episodes: one of them “Jacksonville!!!” The episode “Peter” doesn’t make any sense without having seen the episode prior…disgraceful stuff TVNZ)

This has to have been one of my favorite time-travel stories ever told on television. What glorious fantastic emotional story-telling. I’m still scraping my mouth of the floor, so I’ll try and post some more thoughts on this later, but I thought that this was just a brilliant episode of network television.

Heh, I thought it was some sort of joke thread talking about an episode that hasn’t yet aired - time traveling OP, type of thing.

I agree! This episode is one of my favorites. Peter Weller did a great job here as the guest star and the writers were on their game with the story telling and the character development, specially on Walter’s side of the equation.

I love Walter’s sentimentality and his struggle with whether or not to tell Peter the truth feels very geniune.

I also love the way he says “Peter”. :slight_smile: