Frs.1 & Av-8b*

So I want to build a 1/144 AV-8B, but all that’s available in that scale is the FRS.1. I figure I can easily modify the latter into the former.

I found a site with a picture of each side by side. I can’t see any external differences apart from the nosecone and color. Of course, their respective power plants and avionics, among other things, can be expected to be different, but that’s not going to be represented on a polystyrene model, especially at a scale where the aircraft wouldn’t be more than four inches long.

This brings me to my question:

Apart from the nosecone, what other major external features are there that differentiate the AV-8B from the FRS.1 that would show up on a tiny lil’ 1/144 scale model?

Also, was the development of the Harrier a collaboration between BAE and McDonnel-Douglas, or was the design bought or some such?

[sub]*Harriers, for the curious individual more lay on the subject than myself, are attack aircraft that are capable of vertical takeoff and landing. Both American and British Aerospace firms make them.[/sub]

The Harrier was originally a Hawker-Siddeley design. Hawker-Siddeley were a major British aerospace company, including well-known names such as Armstrong Whitworth, Avro, Gloster and Hawker, joined in the 1960s by Blackburn, de Havilland and Folland. The initial Hawker-Siddeley designs, primarily the P.1127, dated back to 1957. The first operational aircraft entered UK service in 1968/1969.

The US military received XV-6A trial aircraft in 1966, and although the USAF and USN weren’t overly impressed the USMC saw it as a design with potential. Two USMC pilots requested further test flights in 1968 at the Farnborough Air Show, and in 1969 a second USN evaluation – required to convince Congress – resulted in an agreement that the purchase of 114 aircraft would only occur if they were manufactured under license in the US. Twelve AV-6B aircraft were supplied by Hawker-Siddeley, with the remainder to be manufactured locally.

Hawker-Siddeley struggled to satisfy the licensing requirement, and after considering Northrop and Republic, McDonnell-Douglas were selected due to links already forged through UK purchases of the F-4 Phantom II.

In 1977 Hawker-Siddeley ceased to exist – merged with the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) through an Act of Parliament to form British Aerospace (BAe).

[more history here]

The Harrier used to known as the Kestrel (while on trial) and is a totally British plane (originally). It was developed by the Hawker Siddley complany. The prototype first flew in 1960 and the plane entered squadron service as the Harrier in 1969 with the RAF.

The AV-8B is a joint venture between that company and MCDonnel-Douglas, as u mention in your question.

Here is a good link describing the development of the plane. Seems like it was a joint development between UK and US initially, with West Germany coming on board later.

As an aside, the sight and sound of four Harriers bowing to the crowd at an air show is one of my most vivid childhood memeories. God, those things are loud!

That should be “jointly funded development” in my previous post.

We have several Harriers of different types here where I work. They often do hover tests about 400 yards away outside my window.

Yes, very loud.