Fuck Charter schools...

And the irresponsible idiot shits who run them.

We’ve been dealing with these people for three weeks here at the library. The article doesn’t tell half the story.

I want a tax refund.

Fuckers.

What, they just told 450 students, “Show up at the library and we’ll have school?” Golly. :frowning:

And, um, what?

So, like, where were the teachers? At home?

And, um, what?

Didn’t anyone at the library, like, notice anything, such as hundreds of students appearing on weekday mornings? Or go over there and say anything, like, oh, I dunno, like, “Hey, what the fuck?” Ann Landers keeps popping into my head (geddowdahere ya maniac): Nobody can use you for a doormat without your permission. Eh? :wink:

Um, no, it’s situations like this that really make me question what the librarians were using for brains. Did they just think 450 kids all needed to do research for book reports all at the same time, all day every day, for three weeks? Or were they just too shy to speak up? Or what? :confused:

Is this library, like, a really huge place, where you can fit 450 students? My library here is pretty good-sized (used to be a Sears department store), and I can’t imagine the librarians just sitting there while they were invaded by hundreds of students, all day every day, on school days, without at least offering a ladylike, very polite, “What the fuck?”

Still, looks like there’s hope.

In defense of my employer, yes, the library is huge. A block and a half, five floors, 13 million volumes, etc. We don’t rank lower than third place in any major category for public libraries nationwide.

They never had more than four classes at a time here, about 100 kids. We handle three to five times that many students every weekday for regularly scheduled school groups. So yeah, it took us public service staff a few days to notice that we were getting the same set of kids over and over. Then we had to notify administration, who had to figure out the deal through official protocol. As you may have noticed in the article, the principal isn’t answering the phone, and the teachers weren’t exactly forthcoming, either.

But it isn’t really our responsibility to monitor the operations of a taxpayer-funded charter school. Which is what infuriates me about this whole thing… that minimal oversight caused the state to drop the ball on this one.

Um, could I ask a question? If the OP says “Fuck Charter Schools”(shoot me if I’m just too dense) why is it you’re angry and frustrated over what is a single charter school? Or, um, switch that around. Why doesn’t your OP say “Fuck This Charter School” or “Fuck A Charter School” I expected you to be flamin’ all the charter schools, but you’re not.
I guess I just don’t get it. Sorry. :frowning:

Because I don’t like em.

Ohio’s charter school plan is exceptionally shoddy. Those all important test scores have been signigficantly lower for charters than for regular public schools. I’d find some cites, but it’s late and I’m half drunk and tired, so it’ll have to wait until tomorrow.

I love the charter school I send my kids to. The school is well run, efficient, and a vast improvement over the Parma Public School we started our daughter in. I am a former school teacher, and I generally support our public schools, but when my daughter was in First grade, she was bored and the school district was busy taking the High School kids to Cedar Point while staying in financial ruin. When we went to register my sin for kindergarten, there were 35 kids in one kindergarten class. Let me repeat - THIRTY FIVE KINDERGARTEN KIDS - ONE TEACHER, NO AIDE, NOTHING. I don’t care if your God’s gift to education - no one can handle a group of 35 kindergarteners and it not be an exercise in bad babysitting. There is no way we were putting our son in that environment.

This year (our second year in the charter school), we became friends with a couple who went through the same experience. Took the kids to register and faced overcrowded classrooms. The overcrowding was actually worse, and the local school district didn’t seem to care.

Thank goodness we found a charter school where class size is important - the school caps every class at 20 students. My daughter is challenged and we love our school.

I’m not saying that Ohio doesn’t need to fine tune it’s charter school regulations and monitoring programs, it truly does. And I don’t think charter schools are for everyone, but I am grateful that the local charter school was an option for us.

Besides, if your going to close all schools of a type because of a few bad examples or some lower than expected test scores, public schools would be the first on the chopping block.

P.S. - although the number of tests is limited, the students at our charter school, who do not seem to significantly differ from the area population in general, are testing much higher than the students at the local school board controlled school.