Fuck it. blueslipper: I choose YOU! (To be Pitted for the shopkeep with tats thead)

Where did I say anything about a joke?

Well, technically, it would be three posts.

But, yes, you should not judge people based on their appearances. You should judge them instead on their words and actions. blueslipper did the one, now she’s suffering the consequences of the other. Maybe its the ink from my tattoo interfereing with my brain, but I don’t see the shocking hypocrisy that you seem to be alluding to.

I said the OP said his thread was a joke. Not your comment.

I am sure blueslipper is traumatized by the flaming here. Let’s take it easy on her from now.

This is the second time in this thread someone has claimed I said something which is the opposite of what I’ve said. Also, two people whose opinions I respect think it’s lame. So fuck it again, I’m requesting a closing. I was in a bad, bad mood this morning and bluewhatever got seriously on my last fucking nerve, that’s all.

Ensign Edison
“I find long fake fingernails disgusting. When they touch my palm as the cashier hands my change back, I feel ill. Yet it would never occur to me to blame her for her fashion choice. I’ve always been aware that it’s my problem.”

Could you explain this attitude? There are things that I like. There are things that I do not like. I do not think I have a problem becuase there are things that I do not like. Do I have to like long fake fingernails or piercings? Do I have a problem if I do not? Whatever I like or not is my preference , my opinion. For example I like nose studs but I do not like nose rings. I like earrings but I do not like eyebrow rings.
The Mursi women in Africa have a cultural tradition of lip enlargement thru lip plates. That is their tradition and their choice. I do not judge them one way or another for it. But it looks very weird and repulsive to me. I know that is because I have not grown up in that culture. I cannot look at those photos too often.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tattoos/photo9.html
I do not consider this a problem that I have.

Now you are saying that it was not a joke. Were you seriously that upset because someone does not like piercings?

With all respect, EnsignE, Pit threads can bounce in unexpected directions. We generally don’t close them just because they don’t work out as planned by the OP.
There’s some chewy goodness working here: relative (if any) worth of apperances, fake nails, tats, funky hair…the thread still has a pulse.

Veb

Please, please, share that word with us! Because I could use it in so many situations.

I thought it was standard to close threads at the request of the OP regardless? Wow, I was very much mistaken.

Oh, to be clear, I apologize for this Pit and retract it completely, so if anyone still wants to fight, they’ll have to find someone else to do it with, since the mods won’t close it apparently.

Are you serious? Are you fucking serious? I want to be able to look like myself. And looking like myself involves my piercings. I didn’t get them to piss you off–I got them because they make me happy. A “real job” would not depend on how large the hole in my earlobe is, it would depend on my ability to do my work.

Perhaps that’s how it should be, but unfortunately, the reality is that 90% of everything in the business world is appearance. Someone could have the work quality of a five-time Employee of the Year, but that doesn’t mean shit to the client who takes his money elsewhere because said someone assigned to him looks like she fell down a flight of stairs carrying a tacklebox.
Adam

Ah, fuck me. Previous post made by me. :smack:
Adam

Nope, it’s not so much standard in the Pit. An OP’s request is always considered but it isn’t like, say, GQ where a poster can say, “Okay, that’s answered; thanks.” Threads hijacked out of all recognition usually rate a serious look as well, but often the standard is more housekeeping than anything: Does the thread, as titled, still hold some potential for lively discussion?

FWIW (general advice follows) it’s considered bad form to just walk away from a thread one’s started in any forum. The ambience, so to speak, of the Pit just ups the ante for posting, then thinking. But there has been many a Pit thread where the OP has calmed down, reframed the argument and hung in there.

Of course some flamers will keep flaming, just for the hell of it, even after a beleagured OP grants some points, but that’s pretty transparent too.

And after all that, this thread will probably plummet off the page like a paralyzed falcon anyway.

Veb

Did you see the original thread? Virtually the entire first page is people disagreeing with blueslipper.

I didn’t want to see a pile on. I expected one based upon the thread in question and the responses there. Imagine my surprise when it didn’t turn out that way.

You are reading too much into it, and I didn’t lie.

Airman, I’ve apologized and retracted everything. Could you please lay off now?

He wasn’t talking to you, but to Excalibre. That is precisely what TVeblen meant about theads going off on unexpected paths.

I think your definition of “real job” is a bit narrow… There are real jobs outside the “business world” (academia, fashion, tattoo parlors, etc).

Construction, service industries, entertainment…

Professional magician, contract killer, bullrider…

All I was saying is that people who don’t look corporate(which is what I should have said instead of “real jobs”) probably won’t want to work in such jobs anyway, so yes, I was fucking serious.

If you work in the traditional business world, you have to look as clean, neat and professional as possible. That is indeed reality, whether you like it or not.

That’s the gist of it, but at least tattoos and piercings can be disguised.

This is only going to end in tears. But they’ll probably be yours.

I’ll just point out what others have already said; the hypocrisy of pitting someone else for doing the very thing you’re trying to do here, the stupidity of calling people out in a forum where others play a much harder game than you do, and the cowardice of trying to close this thread when you realized it was going to be the gangbang in your favor that you were hoping for.

It’s a simple rule: don’t start shit if you don’t want shit to be started.